Avantgarde

Nikhil

Staff member
Any fans of Avantgarde Acoustics on here?
If there ever is a system that defines the term "blows everything else out of the water" - Avantgarde Trios with 3 x Basshorns

AG Trio.jpg

They are very special. Those bass horns are HUGE and Amazing. This system is a different league of acoustics. The Top Tier I would say where just a handful of unique systems belong,

+1

Here are some pictures to give you a closer view of what they look like in the flesh.

Avantgarde Trios - Munich.jpg

Closer view of 3 x Basshorn stack

Avantgarde Trio + Basshorns - Munich.jpg

Oswalds Mill Audio is another one. Every single design of theirs is a sight to behold.

Below is an excerpt from an interview of owner Jonathan Weiss:
"I get people coming into the showroom in New York who are Grammy-winning music producers and engineers and you sit down and I drop the needle on something that was recorded in 1964 and you just see the look of disbelief on their faces. These are people who spend their whole life in studios with expensive equipment and they’ve never heard sound like this."

I heard Avantgarde few years back that were driven by Sonic froniter Dac + Nagra Preamp + SET 2A3 amp. What a room filing experience it was.

I had Unos for a couple of years than upgraded to Duos. Listened to the basshorns but not practical for a residential installation.

The Avant-garde sound is very forward and I really liked it at the time. Moved out into Meridian ultimately now in Wilson Audio.

Endorse all the positive stuff about AG.

Nikhil, can I add a few Top Tier special commercial and DIY setups with pictures to this thread ?

Let's keep this thread for Avantgarde related discussion only.

I had Unos for a couple of years than upgraded to Duos. Listened to the basshorns but not practical for a residential installation.

Sankar,

How long ago was this? The Avantgarde sound is something else.
I can't imagine moving from AG to Meridien in terms of sound.

Regards.

Had a second look on my laptop. What a room, what a site !!! No cluttering furnitures. Heaven on Earth !!! (I of course NOT without the system)

Avantgarde reeks class in everything that they do.
I started off with their Trios but even their Zero 1 XD is one heck of speaker.

3-1-1-1-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have heard the Avant garde duo more than 13 ears back in singapore with a SET amp ..the voice was simply mesmerizing ! that was my best Horn experience and the second one was a Klipschhorn many years ago.
At the same time having spoken to folks who have owned it or seriously auditioned it, in the past the bass integeration was very tricky and very few people got it right.

Can you elaborate AG experience with Klipschorn ? I was recently contemplating a deal on Klipschorn.
Its very difficult to explain as I heard it almost 18 years ago in the US. All i remember was that it was a decently big room , almost 15 feet wide and the speakers were placed on corners and played with an American old school tube amp.I think what hit me most then was its dynamics ie the ability to go low and jump high and retain clarity all through. I was not disturbed by any honkiness .

It was the best sound i had ever heard and started a still unredeemed love for horns.. so much that i ended up buying a Klipsch speaker . the problem with memories so old especially at a time where high end was very new to me is one tends to imagine more than it was so will refrain

I have once heard a trio series setup on a complete audio note system in Singapore Adelphi.Uncompressed and life-like are 2 words I would like to describe the sound. Startling dynamics...toe taping, super resolving sound. Too expensive. That system was almost 1/2 a million Singapore dollars, I think !

I had the Duos for a short while too. They were really uncompressed and lively and a bit up front for my taste but very "you are there" life-like..... Please don't mistake this for bright, just a bit forward in its presentation.
I think I could have worked with it to pair it with the right electronics for my taste but as one poster mentioned they were very dominating in the room. I envy a listening room like the one in the first picture.

Last edited:
Ditto here. Had them for a couple of days on trial. Completely dominated the room. Also in those few days couldn’t get bass to integrate with the mids

The horn design acoustically loads the room differently which could explain some of the experiences.
But yes definitely the larger horns are not ideal for small / medium sized rooms.

I heard Avantgard in a hall 15 X 20 feet
For microdynamics there is nothing more better than a horn speaker.

I have to admit, I heard them once at a dealer and after all the hype was unimpressed. But they were the older versions like 5-10 yrs old, bass was a big problem, heard they have gotten better. Also am not a big fan speakers needing a power supply.

But I have heard other horn speakers like dc10audio (now called Viking acoustics) that I have liked a lot.

I have to admit, I heard them once at a dealer and after all the hype was unimpressed. But they were the older versions like 5-10 yrs old, bass was a big problem, heard they have gotten better. Also am not a big fan speakers needing a power supply.

But I have heard other horn speakers like dc10audio (now called Viking acoustics) that I have liked a lot.

What a coincidence ! A good friend of mine recently picked up the Viking Acoustics speakers in the US. He chose them after a lot of auditions at RMAF etc. I trust his ears completely. Fantastic speakers apparently. He is running them off an LFD amp now. He is looking out for a suitable tube amp also.

hello all
what I heard were the avant garde duo horn speakers. They were paired with prima Luna pre and power tube amps. The owner of the speakers asked me hear for the spit flying out of the trumpeter"s mouth when he played. As others before me said they totally filled up the room and it was a big room. I then had to come home to the Harbeths i own.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back