AVR(as streamer dac) + INTEGRATED AMP FOR STEREO (PLEASE SUGGEST)

lalit09

Hi, i am looking for streo setup, which will be a better option,
1. Avr as dac and streamer + integrated amp (marantz 1609 or yamaha 685 with rega elex r or roksan k3)
2. Streamer + integrated amp (bluos node 2i + rega elex r or roksan k3)

Which will have better stereo separation and performance?

Option 2 hands down, unless u have HT in ur mind.
With the kind of option that u threw at us, looks like u have a decent budget. See if u can accommodate a Cambridge Audio cxn streamer. U will have a hell of a system.
Rega elex R is a great amp and so are roksan. I somehow feel that rega elex r is a notch above.
Which speakers are u planning to pair these with.

Option 2 hands down, unless u have HT in ur mind.
With the kind of option that u threw at us, looks like u have a decent budget. See if u can accommodate a Cambridge Audio cxn streamer. U will have a hell of a system.
Rega elex R is a great amp and so are roksan. I somehow feel that rega elex r is a notch above.
Which speakers are u planning to pair these with.
My use is music 80%, 20% movies, most likely bnw.
Avr only because of ease of you and lot of connection. But if streamer give any heareable benifit over avr i will go with streamer.

A dedicated streamer will definitely be above an avr. Hv heard CA cxn and they are really good.
What connection options are u looking at which is not getting sufficed by option 2?
Which b&w model are u eying?

1. Avr as dac and streamer + integrated amp (marantz 1609 or yamaha 685 with rega elex r or roksan k3)

@lalit09
Option 2 is desirable for a setup that is mostly gonna be used for music listening.
Keep it simple if you think movie watching is going to be limited.

Both Rega and Roksan may be good match for your KEF R3s (assuming you still have them)
BTW, FM @Kumar442244 had brought his Peachtree Decco 125SKY to my place.
We tried it out with my R300. It seemed like a good match.
So you can keep Peachtree Nova or Decco as a probable IA too.
Peachtree DAC/Preamp section is supposed to be pretty good; lots of positive reviews.

Explore other DAC+streamers too. Or plonk an NUC+DAC as your headend.

Cheers,
Raghu

If budget is not a major constraint and you want to keep the flexibility of HT open, you could get a streaming device and couple that to an AVR
You Can add an integrated amp to the AVR FL/FR if you are keen on the added headroom it will provide

The big question you need to answer is the streaming sources you intend to use as that would determine the appropriate streaming end-point choice
Quality Options for the end-point can range from a few K to 100K+ which is why it is the primary question you need to answer

@lalit09
Option 2 is desirable for a setup that is mostly gonna be used for music listening.
Keep it simple if you think movie watching is going to be limited.

Both Rega and Roksan may be good match for your KEF R3s (assuming you still have them)
BTW, FM @Kumar442244 had brought his Peachtree Decco 125SKY to my place.
We tried it out with my R300. It seemed like a good match.
So you can keep Peachtree Nova or Decco as a probable IA too.
Peachtree DAC/Preamp section is supposed to be pretty good; lots of positive reviews.

Explore other DAC+streamers too. Or plonk an NUC+DAC as your headend.

Cheers,
Raghu
Hi raghu, r3 are sold, will get bnw most likely, but i was wondering Now a days avr is also using top notch dacs and streamer so would it make any audible diff? Also avr will give room correction.

I am almost certain about roksan, although did not hear it live but all i heard it on YouTube just loved the texture.

If budget is not a major constraint and you want to keep the flexibility of HT open, you could get a streaming device and couple that to an AVR
You Can add an integrated amp to the AVR FL/FR if you are keen on the added headroom it will provide

The big question you need to answer is the streaming sources you intend to use as that would determine the appropriate streaming end-point choice
Quality Options for the end-point can range from a few K to 100K+ which is why it is the primary question you need to answer
Hi, yeah even i was thinking to get both but then budget dont allow me, i am going to stream through my hdd, spotify and saavn.

But still wondering as avr also using top class dac and streaming app , with room correction which would be better.

Hi raghu, r3 are sold, will get bnw most likely, but i was wondering Now a days avr is also using top notch dacs and streamer so would it make any audible diff? Also avr will give room correction.

I am almost certain about roksan, although did not hear it live but all i heard it on YouTube just loved the texture.
Hmmm ...
Good luck with your speaker hunt and allied electronics.
All I can say is keep it simple; easier to manage and reach that audio Nirvana :)
Cheers,
Raghu

Hi, yeah even i was thinking to get both but then budget dont allow me, i am going to stream through my hdd, spotify and saavn.

But still wondering as avr also using top class dac and streaming app , with room correction which would be better.

My usage was very similar too 85% music and 15% movies and I ended up completely moving out of HT!!
AVRs are always going to be those Jack of all Master of none types, especially the low-mid end ones. The DAC maybe top class but there is so much circuits and wires that is shoehorned into that one chasis that it is never going to stand for a clean sound quality ...defenitely when you pit it against a Dedicated DAC or a Focused CDP or Streamer !

I used to hear songs streamed via my AVR only as a non focused exercise which is like I ll.be doing some other work in some other room and the songs just keep playing randomly . but I can never listen songs through AVR sitting in one place looking for details , dynamics and what not! Especially once you have heard the other route !

Good luck buddy for your hunt

Recently I have upgraded to an Marantz NR1608 avr with intention to use it as preamplifier/processer and using a power amplifier like Emotiva A-300/500 . May be power amplifier is the section where most of the avr are compromised and failed to compete the IA. AVR can't match the preamp or DAC section of IA but the features and flexibility available with avr will cost a bomb if we wish to have with IA. AVR with IA connected through HT bypass mode may be the best option available for value for money product.

@lalit09
Maybe you want to post room dimensions/geometry. You seem to be worried about room with your query about room correction.
A pic or two will also help in suggesting what may work in your room.
Cheers,
Raghu

I decided to go with Yamaha R-N803 integrated network amp for my living room stereo setup. It has room correction, a major draw for me as my speaker placement is not ideal. Also, has streaming support for Spofity, Tidal and Deezer, has ability to play FLAC/DSD from NAS/HDD. The Airplay support is also quite good for Apple Music support.

I decided to go with Yamaha R-N803 integrated network amp for my living room stereo setup. It has room correction, a major draw for me as my speaker placement is not ideal. Also, has streaming support for Spofity, Tidal and Deezer, has ability to play FLAC/DSD from NAS/HDD. The Airplay support is also quite good for Apple Music support.

That's a great buy. Picked in India or abroad?

Do create a new thread and put down your impressions. A lot of members are looking out for such a device.

MaSh

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back