AVR for playback with USB source only

Howard Bateman

Hey audiophiles,

I am currently looking into building a little home theater.
Therefore I need an AVR that is capable of playing music files (mostly mp3 and FLAC) from USB source. I know there are a lot out there and until now my favourite was a Pioneer model, but here's the problem: I want to use the AVR with USB source as my :indifferent14:media player, hence the USB playback has to offer at least a shuffle and repeat function. In the best case even the possibility to play a whole folder including subfolders. Maybe even video playback, but that's optional. Shuffle and repeat are the only must haves.

My budget (for the AVR only) is at about 500 bucks. Maybe 600, when it's a Pioneer and it offers more than only shuffle and repeat. Is there even an AVR out there that fits my needs? Or should I go for another solution like ODroid / RasPi, or a separate media player? Should I consider a DAC, since I don't have another source than the AVR itself? I will only play high quality mp3 and sometimes FLAC.

I think I shouldn't have to mention that I want 5.1, since almost every new AVR offers that. The option of stereo mode is another must have, though.

I hope I answered all your questions in advance.

Thanks for your time.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back