AVR for Polk Lsi9

rajeshkr76

Hi guys,
A newcomer to this forum. Purchased a pair of Polk Lsi9 speakers from one of our forum members last week.. now the search for the amp and a good source begins.. Would appreciate your views on the good avr's that go well with the Lsi9's. My preference is Marantz but would like to hear from you ..
I would be using it for 60%music and 40%movies..
Kindly suggest

rgds,
Rajesh

If you search around the internet you will find that these speakers need a really powerful amp to shine. So instead of buying a high end AVR ($$$), I would suggest you buy a mid-fi AVR and drive these with a (probably used) 2 channel power amp. Just my 2 cents.

If you search around the internet you will find that these speakers need a really powerful amp to shine. So instead of buying a high end AVR ($$$), I would suggest you buy a mid-fi AVR and drive these with a (probably used) 2 channel power amp. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Buddy.. Can you suggest which power amp and AVR would be able to do justice.. Budget around 35-40K.

He is right....

Thank sound1. although it is great to have a pre-power combo but looking at the additional cost i would like to go in for a better amp and then if reqd go in for the pre/power amp.
Also there is a related thread http://www.hifivision.com/surround-...473-expensive-avr-vs-cheap-avr-power-amp.html
it seems that a better avr is reqd in any case.

today i had the opportunity to meet shaiju and demo the Denon 2311(thanks Shaiju) with the LSI and yesterday i had checked the Marantz 6005. my inexperienced ears couldn't tell the difference much but shaiju and Raj earlier had suggested Lsi goes well with Denon.

I liked the Denon better. However, i need to add that i did not play with the settings of the Marantz while Shaiju happened to show me the difference due to the various settings in the Denon. In pure Direct mode both were almost the same.

today i had the opportunity to meet shaiju and demo the Denon 2311(thanks Shaiju)

Welcome any time Rajesh... as long as you are okay to carry the rather heavy lsi9 :)

Go with what you liked. Remember upgrading speakers is comparatively easier on the wallet than replacing AVRs. There is not much to dislike in AVRs unless the speakers are finicky about partnering or they need more power. All the frills are welcome additions only if you use them.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Tapatalk

Hi guys,
A newcomer to this forum. Purchased a pair of Polk Lsi9 speakers from one of our forum members last week..

Grab the power amp before someone takes it.

but looking at the additional cost i would like to go in for a better amp....

I liked the Denon better..

Rajesh,

If you have the room get a AVR with pre-outs like the Marantz 5006 and partner it with a power amp like the GFA 555. Few AVRs have the grunt of the GFA 555.

Most AVRs in the league of the 2311, 5006 etc... do not have the capability to drive large low impedance floor standing speakers efficiently. If space (in your audio rack) is limited and you still want to drive the Lsi9 hard you will need to look at amps like the NAD 757 or 775 which allow you to use rear channels to bi-amp the front channels.

That said, and just putting myself out on a limb, try the Onkyo 809 with the LSi9. It might not be as warm as the 2311 but the Onkyo might drive it with a bit more grunt.

There is no doubt that Polk Audio goes well with Denon.

I am looking to let go of my old but workhorse Denon AVR-2805. Has enough juice to drive LSi9. Is a 100 watt/ch 7.1 Channel AVR in champagne color. The matching DVD-1920 Universal Disc Player is also there. The only drawback of this system - no HDMI. But if you are planning to buy a BD player, just use Digital Out from that for Sound and connect HDMI from that directly to TV.

PM if interested.

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back