AVR or AVR+Power Amp or Processor+Power Amp for Movies

Which option do you consider from the below for driving all channels and what may be the reason ?

• Total voters

RajithKumar

Dear All HFV members!!!
I have started this thread for the benefit of FMs who are looking to build /upgrade HT .Hope this threads provides various different options to the FMs according to the requirement and budget of FMs .
As the recent years ,after introduction of new codecs like Auro 3d ,Dolby Atmos & Dts X for 3D sound ,the industry is pushing towards more no.of channels.In this thread a minimum of 7 channels can be considered .
Which option do you consider from the below for driving all channels and what may be the reason ?
Option 1: AVR

Option 2: AVR + Power amplifier

Option 3: Processor + Power amplifier.

All the Positives and Negatives can be discussed.Hope it unlocks the Technical and commercial aspects.
The main parameters shall be Performance ,Budget , Room constraints ,Reliabilty ,ASS etc.,

Option 2 : Budget & technicals permitting, I would like to add a Power Amp to the AVR chain. Atleast to power the Front stage.

I experimented with adding my Marantz Integrated PM5004 (37.5W*2, 8Ohms ) to the SR6013 and did like what I heard, though its a minimal improvement. The only thing I did not like was the "pop" sound that I heard when the system powered on . and thus removed the IA.

Was thinking of adding a similar power rating Power Amp like the Emotiva Basx A-100 or the Audiolab M-Power..

What i have also heard is that it is better to upgrade your speakers rather than spending much on the Amplifier, SO perhaps, I may take that route also.

When i have no constraint on the budget..

When i am concerned abt the sizable budget & if my room is large and if i frequently hit reference volume on the AVR..

When i have budget limitation..
The budget wasn't being discussed, so assumed it was not a constraint ; so voted for option 3.

I've run various AVR's, Processor+Power, and now AVR+Integrated (with HT Bypass, so like a Power for HT).
Even with price not being an issue, I prefer a high end AVR, with Power (or Int).
This is because Processors offer so little extra over a good AVR, and AVR can be used to power all but the main speakers.

@Viki : Did you ever face the problem of speakers "popping" with a AVR+Power Amp/IA combo?

And what has your experience been with SQ? is it better or the same with a Power Amp?

lf the purpose is only movies,then a Good AVR is more than enough.
If someone want to use system for movie and music,then AVR with atleat front preouts will be useful so that integrated amp or power amp can be added.
If someone has good budget and need far better sound,then matched pre-power combo is best option.

Problem with pre,-power is that interconnects need to be matched for best results.That's why l will prefer a good avr to do the job for movies.

In my opinion mid price nine channels AV receiver with eleven channels pre-out like Marantz SR6013 mated with five channels power amplifier like Emotiva A-5175 or Outlaw Audio Model 5000 may be the best solution for 7.2.4 HT set-up with good stereo performance. Even Emotiva A-300 may be helpful in this respect. You will get all the goodies of AV receiver with genuine power of power amplifier. This will provide better dynamics, great headroom with less strain on internal AV receiver amplifier. This kind of system can easily drive 7.2.4 setup with reference level performance. May be little expensive than high end 9/11 channels AV receiver like Denon AVR X 4500h, Marantz SR 7013 or Yamaha A-2080 but performance at par or better and can drive less efficient speakers easily.

@Viki : Did you ever face the problem of speakers "popping" with a AVR+Power Amp/IA combo?

And what has your experience been with SQ? is it better or the same with a Power Amp?

Yes, I have heard the "popping", but this had nothing to do with AVR etc, it was simply a characteristic of the Amp.

SQ is obviously much better with an added amp. Keep in mind, an AVR is usually power rated with 2channels driven.
The minute you drive all those 11 channels, the power output is nowhere close to the rating.

^^ No.. There are two things here.. one is the Relay sound from Amp ("click") which is okay; the other is the speaker "pop" due to the inrush current. This can damage the tweeter.

The Marantz are rated for a 70% guarantee when all channels are driven. online tests also show that broadly you can expect 70-75% power when driving all channels. Basically a 100W*2Ch power AVR can mean that it will provide around 70-80W if all channels are driven.

I don't think that amp power is an issue at all.. Anything over 30W is probably good enough for a moderate size room..

Actually one should turn on pre first.Here marantz has to be turned on first.Once all relay sound are gone,turn on Poweramp.Doing this, speaker pop sound will not come.lf its still there,then its Poweramp relay/speaker protection issue.
l have used power amps in this way without an issue.Turning off should be opposite way.Turn off Poweramp first ,then pre.

^^ I have been doing the exact same thing - but still the issue persists.
I read this sequencing in the User Manual of the Audiolab M-PWR Power amp (which i intended to buy) and had been following the same, but still...

This is one "technical" aspect that is putting me off from a Power Amp.

Slightly OT : Which speaker upgrade would you guys suggest for someone like with my equipment? I am thinking a 3-way FS speaker maybe like the MA Silver 300 or MR6? My budget would be well shy of 1L for the pair. My preferred brands would be Dali, Qacoustics, Elac

Last edited:
^^ No.. There are two things here.. one is the Relay sound from Amp ("click") which is okay; the other is the speaker "pop" due to the inrush current. This can damage the tweeter.

The Marantz are rated for a 70% guarantee when all channels are driven. online tests also show that broadly you can expect 70-75% power when driving all channels. Basically a 100W*2Ch power AVR can mean that it will provide around 70-80W if all channels are driven.

I don't think that amp power is an issue at all.. Anything over 30W is probably good enough for a moderate size room..
Yes I think speaker "pop" may results in damaging the gears ..

I believe The AVR when driven all channels may go down further imay be in the range of 40 to 70 watts,depending upon the model of AVR and number of channels used .I'm using SR8012 ,according to the bench test reports 140 watts @ 8 ohms-2 channel driven will become 86 watts -7channels driven .Based on this we can assume that when 11 channels are driven it may further comes down.

I beleive that good amp power is required for better dynamics .

How do you guys level match if your Power Amp is high powered? Even with the 35-40wpc of the Marantz IA , my AVR was setting a -9db or something level...

How do you guys level match if your Power Amp is high powered? Even with the 35-40wpc of the Marantz IA , my AVR was setting a -9db or something level...

What is the level set without the Power Amp? In my opinion, as long as the level is not off the scale, it is okay. With my Marantz NR and PEECEEBEE V4 power amp, I got a surprising level of almost 0.0db (.5db away on the left channel).

MaSh

Back