AVR + Tower Speaker + MultiRoom

kajha83

Hi. Looking for inputs for setting up home audio / theater for a friend.
He already has fixed JBL Ceiling Speakers 2 each in 4 bedrooms and 2 in living room. JBL 8124 and 8128 (25 Watt, 8 Ohm).

Need help on 4 aspects:

1. Looking for recommendation on good Tower Speaker pair (budget 50 K).
2. Would a 5.2 AVR (e.g. Marantz NR1509) be able to drive the 2 Towers using Main L and R O/P and the other 10 ceiling speakers using Surround O/P? Is any additional hardware needed to make it happen? Or do we have to go for a 7.2?
3. Depending on the answer to #2, would be good to get recommendation on AVR options. Looking for budget options (maybe 30 K to 50 K)?
4. Planning to skip Subwoofer and Center right now as considering Tower and more focused towards audio. Hope this makes sence.

Thanks,

Kamal

Last edited:
1. Look into Dali, Wharfedale, QAcoustics, Polk, Pioneer and also the For Sale section.
2. Unless you're planning to run those ceiling speakers in parallel, you would need 2 for LR and 10 more channels for other speakers. That means using pre-outs from the primary receiver to another repeater. Maybe other members can pitch in on viable solutions.
4. Adding sub and center will only make you more focussed towards audio :) but I'm sure you meant stereo ;) You can always buy a good sub later.
Good luck.

Unless you're planning to run those ceiling speakers in parallel
The plan is to run them in parallel. Just wondering if the AVR will be able to drive 5 L and 5 R speakers in parallel. Total wattage at 8 Ohm is going to be 105 Watt per channel if I sum up.

If I consider something like Denon AVR-X250BT for 22K on Amazon. Or Denon AVR x550BT at 28K?

The plan is to run them in parallel. Just wondering if the AVR will be able to drive 5 L and 5 R speakers in parallel. Total wattage at 8 Ohm is going to be 105 Watt per channel if I sum up.

If I consider something like Denon AVR-X250BT for 22K on Amazon. Or Denon AVR x550BT at 28K?
Hi,
Something we have to calculate with electronics theory.
If u have not calculated so far, pls check the link below for resistance calculated for parallel circuit.
Resistance connected in parallel.
Imho I would say u are going to load the basic model AVR ( Denon X250BT/ X550BT) if you use it as per your plan.

Something we have to calculate with electronics theory.

Thanks for the link and explaination.
So, if the AVR says 4-16 Ohm, then I can use max 2 speakers (rated 8 Ohm) in parallel. Is that a fair understanding?

In that case, 9 channel AVR is a must for him?

Series connection is a possibility?

Or any options as @ktks1 suggested of using pre out?

Kamal

Last edited:
Thanks for the link and explaination.
So, if the AVR says 4-16 Ohm, then I can use max 2 speakers (rated 8 Ohm) in parallel. Is that a fair understanding?
Kamal
Yes .Quoted AVR will not handle the 2ohm load if you connect it in parallel connection .May be you can try connecting as mentioned in the image to achieve 8 Ohm.
But again I would not recommend with basic model AVR .Let other FM pitch in with suggestions.
ATB

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200301-144958_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200301-144958_Chrome.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 6
Instead of connecting all speakers directly to AV Receiver, I suggest using a speaker selector like Taga Harmony TS4 - Costs around 6000.

If you are going for 1509, you can connect Front Left/Right to towers and Surround Left/Right to Taga Speaker switcher.

I recommend 1609, you can use 5.1 in the living room and take zone 2 out to speaker selector. That way you can watch a movie in living room in 5.1 mode and at the same time listen to music from another source in other rooms.

I suggest using a speaker selector like Taga Harmony TS4
Thanks. Looks like the exact thing I need.
Can multiple zones be activated simultaneously? In that case, the effect will be same as a parallel connection, but the selector will manage the impedence drop? Is this correct?

That way you can watch a movie in living room in 5.1 mode and at the same time listen to music from another source in other rooms.

In that kind of setup, the speakers in the said zone needs to be getting input from 2 sources. One being the selector (from AVR). And at a time any 1 source will be on? Right? The selector from AVR is off for the said zone and another source is on. Correct?

Thanks. Looks like the exact thing I need.
Can multiple zones be activated simultaneously? In that case, the effect will be same as a parallel connection, but the selector will manage the impedence drop? Is this correct?

Yes, you can enable multiple zones simultaneously, you need to press the protecting circuit switch. From the product page:
This selector is equipped with the impedance protection circuit. Once activated regardless of the number and nominal impedance of connected speakers it protects the audio source (amplifier) from being damaged due to impedance drop.

In that kind of setup, the speakers in the said zone needs to be getting input from 2 sources. One being the selector (from AVR). And at a time any 1 source will be on? Right? The selector from AVR is off for the said zone and another source is on. Correct?

The Taga speaker selector supports only one source. You can connect Zone 2 outputs from AVR as input to speaker selector.

In the AVR you need to select in the setup that you are going to use 5.1 + Zone 2. Refer the below page to find out the terminals you need to use for 5.1 + Zone 2

Now in the AVR you have the option to choose what is the source you want to use for mains and what is the source you want to use for Zone 2.
You can select Bluray or CAB/SAT in mains as input , press Zone 2 button on Remote and select the source you want for Zone 2

----------------------------------
Playback in ZONE2 (Another room)

You can operate this unit to enjoy audio in a room (ZONE2) that is different from the room where this unit is placed (MAIN ZONE).
You can simultaneously play back the same source in both the MAIN ZONE and ZONE2. You can also play back separate sources in the MAIN ZONE and ZONE2.

It is not possible to play the digital audio signals input from the HDMI, COAXIAL or OPTICAL connectors in ZONE2. Use analog connections for ZONE2 playback.
-------------------------------

Lower AVR models will have limitations on the sources you can select for Zone2. As mentioned on the 1609 page, you can only select analog inputs to the AVR as sources for Zone 2.

Any recommendation between the below AVRs?
1. Pioneer VSX 834
2. Marantz NR1609 (or even 1608)
3. Denon X2400H

Last edited:
I would recommend Marantz 1609.
If you need latest and similar price range, you can consider Denon 1600H.
I don't recommend pioneer at this point as I heard some complaints on product quality and service support - at least in the lower models.

Hi. Looking for inputs for setting up home audio / theater for a friend.
He already has fixed JBL Ceiling Speakers 2 each in 4 bedrooms and 2 in living room. JBL 8124 and 8128 (25 Watt, 8 Ohm).

1. Looking for recommendation on good Tower Speaker pair (budget 50 K).

Thanks,
Kamal

Why don't you evaluate Sonodyne Sonus 3165 for your tower speaker requirement? It is a good Indian brand based at Kolkata.
A pair of towers should be around 55k. They are good value for money. Why not evaluate Indian brand before we jump for foreign brands.

I would recommend Marantz 1609.
If you need latest and similar price range, you can consider Denon 1600H.
I don't need necessarily the latest. But looking for cheaper. Thats why was considering Marantz 1608 or Denon X2400H.

Hi All.

Can I get some feedback about Denon X2400H? I know this is not the latest model. But considering because of the price.

Measured the space available and initially planned tower speakers may be difficult. May have to start with bookshelf.
Considering Dali Zensor 3. Again, phased off model. But available on Amazon at fairly descent price. And I have good experience with Dali Zensor 1.

@elangoas - Any specific Taga bookshelf would you advise? Budget is 30 K for the pair.

Recap: Looking for 7.2 AVR and pair of Bookshelf. Already available JBL celling speakers to be used as surround. And Zone 2 in AVR to be used for pair of JBL celing in each of 4 bedrooms through Taga Speaker Selector.
Will consider center and subwoofer later.

@HTuser: Does this look like a similar product if I can get is from Germany?

Last edited:
Hi All.

Can I get some feedback about Denon X2400H? I know this is not the latest model. But considering because of the price.

Measured the space available and initially planned tower speakers may be difficult. May have to start with bookshelf.
Considering Dali Zensor 3. Again, phased off model. But available on Amazon at fairly descent price. And I have good experience with Dali Zensor 1.

@elangoas - Any specific Taga bookshelf would you advise? Budget is 30 K for the pair.

Recap: Looking for 7.2 AVR and pair of Bookshelf. Already available JBL celling speakers to be used as surround. And Zone 2 in AVR to be used for pair of JBL celing in each of 4 bedrooms through Taga Speaker Selector.
Will consider center and subwoofer later.

@HTuser: Does this look like a similar product if I can get is from Germany?

The product I mentioned Taga Harmony TS4 is available in India with 1 year warranty. You should be able to get from any Taga dealers with warranty.

You can also consider Taga Harmony 606 Special Edition 5.0 package, cost will be just above 30k. You can add subwoofer later.

In case of AVR, I would recommend to stick to Marantz, since it is more suitable for music, you will get at similar price range as 2400H.

If you would like to stick to Bookshelf, you can consider Sonodyne Sonus 3260 Bookshelf speakers

Try to audition Taga and Sonodyne at your place. Check whether they can supply Taga Speaker switcher as well.

I found this model as well, it supports two sources, for every room you can choose first source or second source, this model also support individual room volume control. This model also supports 100RMS per channel, previous model supports only 70W RMS per channel.
I don't have the pricing details, you can check with dealer in Kolkata. You may check with HiFIMart as well.
In Bangalore TheHomeCinema handles Sonodyne and Taga, I can check with them whether these speaker switchers are available in India.

Thanks a ton for detailed feedback.

The product I mentioned Taga Harmony TS4 is available in India with 1 year warranty.
Sure. Will keep that in mind. Amazon Germany product costed less than 3K. But warranty is an important point.

You can also consider Taga Harmony 606 Special Edition 5.0 package
Will consider only bookshelf now, as ceiling speakers are already there.

you will get at similar price range as 2400H
Price for 2400H on Amazon is 42500. Marantz 1609 seems over 60K. Will check in Kolkata stores.

you can consider Sonodyne Sonus 3260
Okay. Price seems 23K. And maybe discount on it. I hope I like it. However, can go to 30K for better speakers. Maybe Q3020i or Dali Zensor 3 or Wharfdale. But will audition Sonodyne first for sure.

Try to audition Taga and Sonodyne at your place. Check whether they can supply Taga Speaker switcher as well.
Auditro in Kolkata keeps both Sonodyne and Taga. But no audition for Taga. Let me check with them over the weekend.

I found this model as well, it supports two sources, for every room
TS 4 may just work fine for me. Will check out the price for both.

I found this model as well, it supports two sources, for every room you can choose first source or second source, this model also support individual room volume control. This model also supports 100RMS per channel, previous model supports only 70W RMS per channel.
I don't have the pricing details, you can check with dealer in Kolkata.
Price quoted are 5900 and 18900 respectively. So, surely, going for TS4 only.

Marantz 1609 being quoted for 50K. Fair price?
Compared to Denon X2400H at 42K?

Price quoted are 5900 and 18900 respectively. So, surely, going for TS4 only.

Marantz 1609 being quoted for 50K. Fair price?
Compared to Denon X2400H at 42K?

OK.
TS4 will do then

I suggest 1609, when something goes wrong, spare availability will be problem for older models, 1609 is not as old as 2400H
Secondly HDAM, Gold plated connectors and other design features makes 1609 better for Music, It is a slimline (low height) model as well.
Just speaker to Rupesh (The Home Cinema, 8296500666) as well to check availability and pricing for these items. You can also check on Sonodyne, Taga, Q Acoustics etc.

I suggest 1609, when something goes wrong, spare availability will be problem for older models, 1609 is not as old as 2400H
Secondly HDAM, Gold plated connectors and other design features makes 1609 better for Music, It is a slimline (low height) model as well.
Thanks again. Checked around and 50K seems the best price in stores. Audiomaxx is showing 42900. Let me check out.

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back