Award winning Home theater Room Design - NDTV

magma

Hi

the following Home theatre won the NDTV award for best Retail Space design in "Interiors" category last night

Acoustics were done by a friend Khushroo Jilla together with renowned architect Kalapi Buch

The trapezoidal room is pretty intresting in the way it uses diffusion and absorbtion
All Four walls are fly ash bricks bricks
the ceiling and flooring doing the absorbtion

apart from slate slats this is the only way i know how to effectively absorb/break lower bass

the weight of the room runs into tonnes and is probably one of the best sounding rooms in Gujarat ( this particular room belongs to a dealer in RAJKOT)

pvKKCHp.jpg

Nx8KQOD.jpg

CQ7qM7l.jpg

Pl0Yuqx.jpg

Speaker setup
Stage Accompany
S31LCR+SL15 SUB+S7 Atmos+S5 surrounds

Power amp is Audac

Very nice. Congratulations to KJ and Jignesh. A perfect blend of aesthetics and room acoustics design

Whoa! Congrats to the designers.
That is one visually impressive room. Surely will sound good with all the science that has gone into designing it.

Cheers,
Raghu

Very nice and elegant design. Wonderful use of bricks. (Hope they are) Thank you for the information Magma.

I wish KJ was a forum member so that he could've shared the design philosophy and details for the benefit of members.

Awesome room design .

For the screen, is it just me or is it the pic or does the screen appear really small for the size of the room.

Awesome room design .

For the screen, is it just me or is it the pic or does the screen appear really small for the size of the room.
I think the photos were taken with a very wide angle lens. In actual scenarios, the screen is not that small IMHO.

I think it's an Atmos setup. The projector seems to be Sony vpl. Correct me if I am wrong.

Nice diffusers all around. Looks fantastic.

Has any FM seen this room? It would be nice if knowledgeable gurus discuss about what went into building this room for the benefit of all.

How easy and practical is it to use these fire bricks over already built walls. Since I am at the design stage of the HT room, it would be useful if adding these fire bricks instead of acoustic tiles or other treatments will help my setup. My room is small 15*12.

Is there a particular pattern in which they need to be laid out?

@Ankur Govani nice to see you around. Could you share the objective, build & cost details etc.

We are a team of young engineers. All 25,26 years of age. One day I was roaming around in bombay meeting distributor. So i gave a call to khushrau and we met at kala ghoda cafe. Instantly I realised there is nobody like him I have ever met in the industry. So I have immense faith in him.

Same way I was travelling to Bangalore with a bunch of architect and Kalapi was one those architect. The way he talks about architecture is just too good. He is very passionate about architecture.

So when we decided to build our showroom, I appointed him as an architect. He wanted to build a theatre out of local materials. so we explored so many different material and then we finalised the fire bricks to build the theatre. Being an architect he had no idea about acoustic. Initially he proposed a rectangular theatre. But khushrau had something else in mind. So i asked both of them to fly down to rajkot and we sat for the final design. In just 10 min khushrau designed the trapezoidal theatre out of the rectangular shape architect proposed. That's how the design was finalised.

The shape of the room is trapezoidal. The angles of the bricks are different at different sides. Bricks are in natural form. No chemical was applied on the bricks. Entire absorption is in ceiling. There is just a single layer of Recron behind the madarpat cloth in ceiling. Flooring is 8mm thick carpet. So the design is very simple. But the amount effort and brain goes into making this theatre is innumerable. Only khushrau can think of something like this. He is truly a master.

It took us almost 9 months to complete the studio. Entire studio is out of fire bricks. From entrance door to elevation, everything is fire bricks. The cost of making this entire place was somewhere between 70-80 lacs.

Thank you.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back