B&W 602 s2 + ASW 2000 ... Noob needs help!

permeated

Hi there!

I just got my hands on two B&W 602 s2 and a B&W ASW 2000 sub. Now I need something to power these puppies. I am a total noob when it comes to all this, so I really need some help from you experts!

I am going to put the system in my living room, where it will be used 100% for music (mostly electronic music and some metal). I like listening at low to medium volumes. I like my bass tight and well defined, and I dislike very bright/sharp mids and trebles...

First of all, should I be looking for a normal stereo amp, or a surround amp?

I have heard that Rotel and B&W are supposed to sound good together, but also quite bright/sharp... Are there any other brands that would suit my preferences better?

What should the cutoff freq be on the sub?

Money is not really a problem, although I would like to get an amp that is "cost efficient" when combined with the speakers I have. :)

Thanks for the help!
/Dan

Hi permeated.

Good Choice in speakers....well if you are gonna listen to more music than movies, you need then to purchase a stereo amplifier and if it is gonna be more movies than music then you need to go for an AVR (surround).

The 602s are rated at 25w - 120 w RMS at 8 ohms load and hence you would require an amp which can deliver atleast 70w RMS power per channel at 8 ohms load across all stated frequencies of the speakers...also there needs to be a subwoofer preout

The Marantz amps pair really well with B&Ws and there are ample reviews and videos available over the net to support this.

Marantz Stereo integrated amplifers

PM 8005 has 70w + 70w RMS minimum power output with pre out to connect the subwoofer

There are also reference series stereo amplifiers available....you can select the appropriate model according...

If you are going for an AVR, you should look at the SR series 5008 or 6008 which are 100w RMS 7.1 amps....Music also sounds good with Marantz AVRs....

If you purchase an AVR now, you can later purchase the center and rear speakers to complete the Home Theatre setup if you wish.....

The choice is yours....it all depends on your budget and choice.....you could also look at Cambridge Audio amps or NAD......

All the best....

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back