B&W 683 or Tannoy XT6F

sidsaha

Hi, i am looking to buy my first hi-fi stereo system for music listening. My room size is 20 ft x 13 ft and I listen to a variety of stuff ...blues, classic rock, folk grass, indian fusion, selective bollywood stuff (to name a few of my favorite bands - Dire straits, Beatles, Eric Clapton, Pink Floyd, Tom Petty, Shakti, Rolling Stones, Grateful Dead, A.R. Rahman, Shankar-Ehsan-Loy etc.)

I've auditioned a few...Dali, Elac, Tannoy, B&W and have shortlisted the B&W 683 and Tannoy XT6F. Now between the two i felt the B&W sounded better, but my questions are as follows -

1. Is my room size too small for the B&W 683? Should i look at B&W 684 instead?

2. Any opinion of the Tannoy XT6F? On auditioning the main difference i felt was that the soundstage of the B&W 683 was much larger and spread out than the XT6F.

3. I'm thinking of going for either a Rotel RA-12 or RA-1570 (since i understand that they pair well with B&Ws). Any suggestions of which to choose between the two? I know the RA-12 is 60 wpc vs RA-1570 is 200 wpc - but my question is for apartment level listening levels, do i need a RA-1570? Will there be a difference in sound quality at lower volumes?

6 m x 4 m is not a little room for 683 , but they need a powerfull amp and 1570 will be ok
new 684 maybe are not so bass heavy...:)

Last edited:
When you say 683s need a powerful amp....would that be needed at apartment level listening...I don't plan to blast it loudly. At lower volumes will there be a difference between the RA-12 and RA-1570?

Hi, i am looking to buy my first hi-fi stereo system for music listening. My room size is 20 ft x 13 ft and I listen to a variety of stuff ...blues, classic rock, folk grass, indian fusion, selective bollywood stuff (to name a few of my favorite bands - Dire straits, Beatles, Eric Clapton, Pink Floyd, Tom Petty, Shakti, Rolling Stones, Grateful Dead, A.R. Rahman, Shankar-Ehsan-Loy etc.)

I've auditioned a few...Dali, Elac, Tannoy, B&W and have shortlisted the B&W 683 and Tannoy XT6F. Now between the two i felt the B&W sounded better, but my questions are as follows -

2. Any opinion of the Tannoy XT6F? On auditioning the main difference i felt was that the soundstage of the B&W 683 was much larger and spread out than the XT6F.

3. I'm thinking of going for either a Rotel RA-12 or RA-1570 (since i understand that they pair well with B&Ws). Any suggestions of which to choose between the two? I know the RA-12 is 60 wpc vs RA-1570 is 200 wpc - but my question is for apartment level listening levels, do i need a RA-1570? Will there be a difference in sound quality at lower volumes?

Hi, A close friend has the same combo - Rotel and B & W. They sound very nice and would for the type of your music.

Go for the best equipment your budget allows. Logically, it would be better to have a higher powered amp which can drive the speakers effortlessly than having to max out a low powered one. Additionally a higher powered amp gives you a better option of upgrading your speakers later. (Not that you would need to with the B & W)

Last edited:

What is the price quoted to you for a Pair: B&W 683 & Tannoy XT6F respectively ?

B&W 683 should be much cheaper.
Newer 683 S2 should be available for 143,000. They are good.
Not heard the Tannoy so cant compare.

Re: B&W 683 or Tannoy XT6F

I have auditioned the Tannoy Xt8f (not xt6f) and was very impressed!

The timing is excellent and the lower frequency was tight and not at all overpowering.

Soundstage was superb.

The only negative I felt was it sounded a Lil towards the brighter side.

One of the best speakers I found for Rock and heavy metal, if that interests you. It sounds awesome with other genres as well including jazz, Bollywood, classical etc. But I specifically mentioned rock as not many speakers do rock good due to the nature of the music.

I have not heard the 683 but have listened to 684 and if it sounds anything like that I would choose the tannoy.

Had auditioned with arcam fmj series amp and arcam irdac.

I would highly recommend the xt6f.

They also look very good that you can show off and brag ;-)

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
vtiwari,

what about the concept 40 from Q Acoustics ?

Cannot those owners show off and brag ? :)

regards

Haha!

Sure can! :)

As per me, the concept 40 and xt6f /xt8f are very different in terms of their character.

I might sound very much like whathifi here. I absolutely share the same comments.

Concept 40 is a speaker you can listen to whole day.

The xt6f like I mentioned is Lil bright so may give listening fatigue to some. Although I had listened to it for almost an hour and didnt feel any fatigue.

But if I bring in the concept 40 to the list of choices, I choose the character of concept 40 over xt6f I.e. Easy listening and more natural sounding.

A note to OP: I now own the concept 40 :)

Sure will post a pic, currently in a makeshift setup.

Shall post a pic when I have it properly setup.

I agree with the above OP on brightness from Tannoy. Though not the same but I had Tannoy Revolution DC6T Special Edition as well as B&W most of the range. To me except the 8 series of B&W, both Tannoy and B&W sounded equally bright / harsh. 6 series sounded a bit more muddy than CM series.
Now I have put the cons out, if I have to pick one speaker, Tannoy will be my choice as it has better seperation of instruments.
But, I would seriously consider Q Acoustics before I spend such a large sum of money as I only heard good things about them though personally did not experience.
Also, if I am absolutely buying either of the options, I will not pair any of them with Rotel amps. They are a bit bright to my taste and it is kind of entry range from B&W otherwise they suggest Classe which are very much smoother. With Amplifiers you have much more choices, I believe. The Pathos Logos in classified section will be my first choice

Last edited:
85jG2ne.jpg

the XT6F at 1.41 L (MRP)
and the XT8F at 1.9 L (MRP ) - group test winner this year

not bad speakers

(Disclaimer - i am associated with KEI )

Hi, thanks for the suggestions. I went ahead and bought the B&W 683. Now need to figure out an amp. Any suggestions whether I can find something suitable within 1 Lakh? I'm ok with good condition, second hand amps as well. I was thinking that maybe if i can get a good second hand pre-power amps, then that might be the best.

Hi, I went ahead and bought the B&W 683. Any suggestions on a suitable amp? Preferably within 1 L but if there isn't anything suitable in that range, can spend some more. I'm also ok with good condition second-hand gear.

If you are talking about a Power amp, you can get an Emotiva XPA2 from thehtstore, bangalore. A very powerful amp 300W each channel at 8ohms and 500w each channel at 4ohms. This amp can bitchslap the B&W and make them sing clean and loud.
One more point to add. Unlike any receiver, a good Power amp will never get outdated. You can use them as long as they are intact, just like a good speaker.

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back