Baby steps to better sound; request inputs

anilkc2000

I am new to this site; my most recent 'urge' for 'better sound' started about 2 weeks back and I have been 'crazy googling' since then using up any 'free time' that comes by. I stumbled upon this site about a week back and have been trying to get a hang of what info is available where. A lot of info is already there but it appears that it might take a while before a newbie like me can gain sufficient knowledge to 'act' ( or for that matter even 'ask' the right Q). So while I will continue with my 'freestyle' browsing, thought will try hand at asking for help as an 'ignorant novice'.

Here is my context:

1. After a long while, I have a slightly long visibility (of about an year :)) of staying put at my current location of residence. That is not too long but I think I cannot hold off anymore from treating myself with some good audio ( if not the best).
2. My current setup is basic ( or maybe a few notches below that). An HD ready LCD TV ( LG Scarlet) and a LG DVD player ( both supports HDMI interface). Both have tags of Dolby Digital; in addition TV says SRS TruSurround XT Digital & DVD player says it has 5.1 ch decoder & Full HD up-scaling. I have currently used the 3 cable video ( component) and 2 cable audio ( L+R) connection for audio to connect TV & DVD player. I have a Digital STB which is connected using 3 cables ( 1 Video + 2 for Audio) to the TV directly
3. Our combined TV viewing is a couple of hours every day - a mix of news & entertainment. 2-3 movies a week - mostly past 10 or weekends in HBO or Star Movies and a few times a month on DVD rentals. Listening to songs have taken a hit; it is limited to mp3s played in the car or through the DVD player.
3. Immediate woe is with the clarity of the audio. Currently whatever we play it all happens through the TV speakers. Though in terms of volume I can spike it up, I am increasingly getting irritated with its clarity. (That most of our TV watching is after putting our toddler to sleep might better explain why I cannot exercise the 'crank up the volume' part without putting to jeopardy the domestic harmony. :) ). I would like to have the first upgrade to take care of getting us some better clear & rich sound.
4. I would like to eventually have a better sound setup at home. Though I am considering it now, I am yet to conclude whether I am ready yet to start building it piece by piece. The high possibility of having to relocate after an year is also adding to the hesitation. Other of-course is the spending priority, this 'sound upgrade' still not having made it to the 'family list'.

I am assuming I need to do a few things:
1. Get a better set of speakers to augment/replace TV speakers. This can either be as part of HTiB or a basic 5.1 ch AVR setup.
2. Re-look at the sources. The Digital STB (from local cable guy) might be the first one to replace with a HD DTH STB
3. Upgrade the connection between DVD player & TV to HDMI.

Request help:
1. My immediate budget is around 20-30k; what is the best I can do with that ? I don't mind getting a 1-2 yr old Amplifier (from a resale) and starting with just 2 speakers-instead of 5.1 (minimum need is getting clear sound with some effect with not so much volume !). Other option is to go for a 'junta' HTiB ( saw a few options from Sony but that comes with a DVD player which I already have); but somehow is feeling guilty doing so :)sad:) having been reading and preaching a bit about their shortcomings for a while. But if there are decent ones, OK to eat some crow :)
2. HD DTH STB - I did see a thread about Tata SKY & Airtel. But I do have a query on whether the HD STB will enhance the sound quality or just the picture part.
3. Is there anything that I can do better with the equipment that I have - like placement etc ? I am going slow with the HDMI cable as majority of the watching & listening is still from TV channels only.

I just wrote what came to mind to get this thread going. I will come back in a few days and add if I feel I can get better in articulating my need...but meanwhile, will be great if any of you can give some ideas & suggestions. Thanks in advance

Anil, welcome to the forum.
1. You can get a Pio vsx 519 for about Rs.20,000 or less and a pair of bookshelf speakers for that budget. This will bring about a definite improvement.
2. HD DTH has sound in 5.1 and I guess it will be an improvement in sound as well as picture.
3. You can get an MX Hdmi cable for around 650rs or so, so why dont you go ahead and fulfil your wish and try it out.

Hi Anil,
A very warm welcome to the Forum.
I had the similar doubts about setting up of a system, fearing relocation in the near future (US!! :yahoo:). So, I thought of starting off by buying used stuffs.
As you mentioned, you like to listen to Music, stereo setup is the way to go. Believe me there are hell lot of used electronics available in the market with lots of people upgrading their systems. The audiophiles are always in search for that perfect sound and they keep on upgrading their system. The good part, the used electronics comes real cheap and affordable and you can easily sell them off (without feeling audiosick, if there's anything like that:eek:hyeah:).

Thanks for the quick responses and suggestions. Now if I try moving to the next step,
1. Can you suggest a few options (like Pio vsx 519) that will come around my budget for me to start studying and then audition ? - like Onkyo HT-3100/3105 or HT-5100 or HT5105...any from Yamaha or HarmonKordon in this range ? ( as you might have guessed rightly by now, I am clueless of what the price ranges are ;-)) ...and also for good bookshelf speakers ?
2. Any suggestions on dealers in Bangalore to audition these out...or any deals now active ?
3. If I am looking for the used stuff, what to keep an eye for ?

Thanks in advance ! This forum is vibrant, folks ! :)

Last edited:
Welcome to the HFV, Anil! You are at the right place for get information on your AV queries.

IMHO, a budget AVR (e.g. Onkyo, Yamaha) would be a good starting point along with a pair of bookshelf speakers. This would result in immediate, substantial improvement in the sound quality. Over time you can add additional speakers (of same type) and a matching sub for the complete 5.1/7.1 HT setup. Wharfedales 9.1/9.2 or Missions M33i/34i are good entry level options for bookshelf speakers. Alternatively you can consider HTIBs like Onkyo 3300 so you dont have to buy speakers separately, though sound quality would be more suited for movies than music.

Shriram

for a 2.1 setup for now.. get a amp+bs speakers

norge+wharfedale ...close to 18k.. add sub later on.. there u go..

Welcome to the forum.

I do agree with most of the above responses where they say If for music AMP+bookshelves do a better job than the 5.1 htib. You can add a sub later.
A center speaker can also be added later.

Thanks
pandu

hi anilkc,
go4 used avr 5.1 .go4 wharfdale diamond 9.2 or 8.2 speakers .u can build step by step.dont waste ur money on htib.i will give one no 9844404269 ramesh . he will supply good quality used receiver at cheap rate in bangalore.quote him my name (shiva).
hope got idea.
shiva

Thanks folks - got some good leads there to chew on ( read, research :)) for a couple of days...:)

And to add to the the 'processing load', I now have a new fascination - "Tata Sky HD" ( have been reading a never ending but all informative+interesting thread right from morning while being confined to home due to 'bandh' :)) - Tata Sky HD DTH

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back