Back again looking for a good TV sound system with DTS/Dolby support

reggaerahul

So, here's the story : I have had a Boston Acoustics Digital Cinema XS 2.1 for a year and half and had a bad habbit of keeping them on for a long time, there was a surge and it fried the board. Mr. Sharat (suggested from hifivision) was kind to help but its not fixed and the spares (the amp board in the woofer) is not easily available.

I was pretty happy with the system and mainly was using to hook it through optical out of my Tata Sky and I could distinguish the good difference when I used only RCA audio from TV vs the Dolby DTS input from the set top box.

I hear that the PCM version of whats coming out of the Tata Sky HD+ is only 2.0 channel and not uncompressed 5.1 which rules out many mini amps which only support PCM, So..

Requirments :

1. Mini amp with multiple inputs : possibly a stereo and single SPDIF is good.
2. Should have a remote. (Cos changing volume on Tata Sky or TV doesn't affect the output)
2. Set of budget speakers.

Options :

1. SMSL Q5 Pro (Id' get it from US) ~ $150 + Speakers (Dayton or Micca or extending budget Wharfedale 210) ~ 10-15K : But I lose on Dolby/DTS

2. Cheap Lepai amp ~ 5K + $50 DTS/Dolby decoder + same set of speakers. : I lose on multiple inputs.

3. Last option : Soundbase or a soundbar, don't know somehow I am not keen on these but don't want to rule it out. The Dennon and Cambridge Audio have some around 20-23K so I just buy that and done with it, but I am looking to gradually upgrade components, so may be not so great for music but really convenient and I believe the movie experience would be good.

PS : If anyone knows to get a the same Boston system mentioned above for used or cheap, that'd be the option too. I got it from Croma for 12.5K and when I went to fix it, the guy made it worse saying that their last stock was sold for 5K :sad:

I am based in Pune and would probably visit 4-5 shops I visited last year buying a floorstanders and a Sherwood amp for my dad, but the budget is not that much right now, and most of those shops stock very high end stuff.

Hi

Bostons India supplier is M Z Audio (Bandra Mumbai) ...check with them if they can fix it....

IIRC i have not read good stuff about MZ audio regarding repairing of devices earlier (i think it was related to putting in some dubious board inside/screwing up already damaged innards). pls be careful if you decide to approach them. although i have had a good experience with them when had approached to replace a device that was still under warranty.

Thanks guys. The person mentioned above whom I consulted for repair had actually contacted MZ Audio and the response wasn't positive in terms of availability. Since these were launched initially at 20K+ price in India, then came down in price, I am not sure if the price of that panel itself would be cheap (that panel is the integrated amplifier with bluetooth, Optical (Dolby decoder) + 2 RCA inputs and power and sub volume control), but I'd keep looking.

In terms of getting a new system, What do you guys think of Thonet and Vander Hoch (has 2 RCA inputs + remote) 70W RMS ? I can use one input for music and one for the TV (with the optical SPDIF coming out of STB going through a Dolby Decoder out RCA to speaker)

Although, again I may be getting into a powered speaker which fails fully than getting into componetizing it, its for 14~K . The Thonet and Vander SW10 or that sub reviews on this site look pretty impressive. For experimenting, I could get their 7K bookshelfs but they don't have remote and RCA/Optical out of my TV or STB can't be controlled with their remote.

Hi, just to clarify HDMI carries uncompressed 5.1 audio while SPDIF is limited to only uncompressed 2.0. Hence always better to use PCM over HDMI.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

ok. I happen to read somewhere that for the set top box's (Tata Sky HD+) 5.1 Dolby is only through the SPDIF. It could be wrong, it could mean that 5.1 is on hdmi + spdif but uncompressed PCM 5.1 is through HDMI only.

My TV has HDMI input ofcourse and it has a stereo out. So even if its getting the 5.1 uncompressed through HDMI, I am not sure if its stereo output is something like of a decoder but again, I am not sure about my demand and if its trivial to get complete stereo decoded from 5.1. The previous system the boston acoustic digital cinema xs, had the dolby to virtual surround stereo feature, not sure if it was proprietary.

So I finalized and bought Orb Audio Mini Booster mini amplifier (~$150) from US and got a pair of Polk TSX 110B Bookshelf speakers for 11800/- new from ebay India. Happy with the setup so far. There isn't that deep bass which I was getting from the Boston woofer but the mini amp has the provision to put a subwoofer in future, not planning right now.
Thanks for the inputs. Thread can be closed.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back