Bang & Olufsen Beoplay A9

For a moment I thought maybe B&O came up with a dual concentric 15" large driver like Tannoy Gold's in an open baffle. But then I read three-quarter-inch tweeters and a pair of three-inch mid-range drivers behind the grill.

BROKE MY HEART IT DID! :p

Had an A9 for a few weeks now... and really like it. Here's what I can tell you:

- Airplay works better then using an Airport express
- Unit actually has a single 8 inch woofer. Its like they stuck two satellites and a sub together - basically you get 2 x 160W speakers and a 160W sub in the package.
- Bass is tight, deep and accurate, mids and tweeter provide you with great sound esp. vocals.
- Its a massive step up from the Beosound 8 (which I am now giving to my daughter) - I would say it sounds most similar to my Beolab 4000's, but plays with a little more authority and is a lot deeper (not sure of specs, but it plays deeper then my 8000's).
- Imaging as one would expect given its form factor is not as accurate... so don't expect a large detailed sound stage.
- Its incredibly perfect for a hangout room or an odd shaped room - setup and airplay access is super easy and works very well, but depending on the source can be difficult to route.
- I feel stupid saying this, but I love just unplugging the power, picking this unit up - changing its location (in room or different room - even outside), plugging it back in and in less then a minute its playing music from my iPad. Try doing that with a small amp/receiver and separate speakers/subs. Nothing else comes close.

- Negatives...
1. Wish B&O made a bracket to hang the unit upside down so you could still access power and the touch volume/mute control
2. Airplay not 100% perfect - its WiFi after all
3. Initial cost is expensive - what B&O product is not?
4. No beolink input (I would like to link it to my B&O system)

Overall... Its a great sounding everyday listening speaker - I find myself listening to it a few hours everyday - on in the background or while reading. I feel its actually good value for money - IF and only IF you figure this unit will last you .. I have 20 or more years on some of my B&O sound gear - so far nothing has ever died and it all still sounds great..

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back