Bangalore Folks - BEWARE OF VEHICLE MUGGING

sgmane

Incidents of Vehicle Mugging in Bangalore. Just thought to share with your folks (especially who reside in Bangalore)

MODUS OPERANDI !!!!!!

Miscreants stop your vehicle on a pretext that you caused an accident.
While on the move miscreants continuously honk with an intention of stopping your vehicle
Without warning the miscreants tend to force their way into your car.
Demand compensation by high handed approach and intimidation.
If you don't have cash, miscreants compel you to draw money from the ATM.
Usually they target a person driving alone in the vehicle.

HOW TO PREVENT AND ASSIST POLICE IN NABBING THE MUGGERS?

DO's

Be bold and don't panic when confronted by vehicular muggers.
Raise an alarm to attract attention of public.
Take the photograph of the miscreant's vehicle number plate discreetly with your cell phone.
Keep a pepper spray to defend yourself.
If you are smart/tactful enough and can engage them in conversation, inform the police by way of SMS or call till enforcement authorities reach you.
When being chased by miscreants divert the vehicle to a crowded place to seek help.
Punch your ATM PIN in reverse order to alert the Police.
DONTs:

Do not panic and give away your valuables.
Do not unlock your vehicle even if you have to keep the engine running.
Do not allow yourself to be intimidated and handle the situation diplomatically.
Do not risk your life if options are limited.
Do not get down from the vehicle nor allow any stranger to get into your vehicle.

"Remember the miscreants are equally scared but they pretend to be courageous"

Emergency Numbers (Bangalore):- Police Control Room

Inspector : +91-9448448833 North - +91-80-22943434

Sub-Inspector : +91-9972833003 South - +91-80-22943111
Crime Squad : +91-9845668681
+91-9980399551 East - +91-80-2294 3535
Cheetah Patrolling
Team : +91-9902660986 West - +91-80-22943232
+91-9980834703

Thanks for the info, it always pays to be alert in such situations and not panic just because these guys raise a hue and cry. Additional things would be, if you know you haven't done anything wrong, ask them to call the police, or offer to call the police or drive to the police station. Normally, they themselves would panic, and try to get away from the scene.

But just for the record, I don't think any bank has still implemented the technology of ATM's alerting the police if reverse PIN is punched. Someone can correct me if this is being done by any bank.

Source: ATM Security Advise Message : Enter PIN In Reverse to Call Police

sgmane, metalbandit,
this actually happened to my friend's brother recently. 2 guys started making noise and blocked his car with their motorcycle saying that he cause an accident wanted to take one guy to the hospital; once they got into the car and at knife point they robbed everything. This happened in broad day light and in a place where there were many people around and but nobody noticed or could be of any help ....

sgmane, metalbandit,
this actually happened to my friend's brother recently. 2 guys started making noise and blocked his car with their motorcycle saying that he cause an accident wanted to take one guy to the hospital; once they got into the car and at knife point they robbed everything. This happened in broad day light and in a place where there were many people around and but nobody noticed or could be of any help ....

Sunil,
That was very unfortunate of him. Just shows that the threat is real, and we, as alert citizens should take precautions to ensure we do not fall into such traps. In such situations, one would normally believe those guys and get out of one's vehicle to check. But we should also keep in mind, that whenever an accident occurs, a crowd will normally gather around, and if someone is accusing you of causing an accident, better look around before getting into the grasp of these daylight robbers.

But just for the record, I don't think any bank has still implemented the technology of ATM's alerting the police if reverse PIN is punched. Someone can correct me if this is being done by any bank.

Source: ATM Security Advise Message : Enter PIN In Reverse to Call Police

Yes you are right.... i did get this info on an email fwd a while ago, I immeadetlly called the back to check if it was true (ABN Amro and Citi) both confirmed that this was not a fact and trying your atm pin in the reverse oder is of no help...

Hi Folks,
Just an update for non-bangalore folks.
This may happen in other states too. Updated below the emergency contact information during such times.

Hyderabad : All Law & Order Police Stations
Delhi : Delhi Police Helplines, Police Helplines in Delhi, Phone Number of Delhi Police
Noida : http://www.noidapolice.com/index_findstscvi.php
Gurgaon : PoliceStations
Mumbai : Mumbai Police - Important Telephone Numbers

Adding to other updates from other folks, "YES" the reverse PIN to be used in ATM is still not implemented. Would take some more time. ETA not available!!!

Sunil,
That was very unfortunate of him. Just shows that the threat is real, and we, as alert citizens should take precautions to ensure we do not fall into such traps. In such situations, one would normally believe those guys and get out of one's vehicle to check. But we should also keep in mind, that whenever an accident occurs, a crowd will normally gather around, and if someone is accusing you of causing an accident, better look around before getting into the grasp of these daylight robbers.

This happened to an office colleague on Bellandur road about a fortnight back , just meters from the office gate. He cleverly drove the car straight into the parking lot and they exited the car ran away.

Regards

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back