Basic turntable setup suggestions for a newbie

bhattacharyyasom

Hey Guys ,

i am a newbie to the vinyl world. i have a rich collection of cds but now i am planning to start listening to only vinyls.
However i am clueless on where to start with the setup.
What do i need ?
eg. turntable,amplifiers , speakers etc
What makes are good for each of the above category?

My budget is pretty tight. In the range of 15k-20k .
Can anyone suggest me a good solid vinyls setup for starters?

20K budget is bit too tight for a vinyl setup assuming you need TT, Phono, Amp and Speakers within this budget. Even if you manage to set up something in that range I'm afraid that you will not enjoy listening to vinyl. You may end up thinking CD sound much better than Vinyl.

20K budget is bit too tight for a vinyl setup assuming you need TT, Phono, Amp and Speakers within this budget. Even if you manage to set up something in that range I'm afraid that you will not enjoy listening to vinyl. You may end up thinking CD sound much better than Vinyl.

I fully agree that 20 K is not good enough to make the impression that will hook you to vinyl. Why don't you visit a friendly FM in your area to get a better idea about vinyl listening?

Since you have a rich colection of CDs, it is presumed that you already have a basic stereo setup( amp & speakers). In that case you can start with a used vintage Turntable and a basic phonoamp and connect it to the existing setup. This will surely work, as a starter.
--vnmathur

HI Som

Welcome to HFV.

As VN mentioned, you have a CD collection so we'll assume that you have a good stereo setup already.

I'll suggest that you try to get a basic vintage turntable and a basic phono stage and start looking for records. Mind you, due to a sudden surge in vinyl lovers, it's getting difficult to acquire records as the days are passing.

You can always upgrade and climb higher and higher for top of shelf TTs but you need records to play on them. So friend, record acquisition is must. I've learned it hard way, after having wandered for 4 months.

On the other side, Audio Technica AT-LP60 is a good basic entrylevel TT IMHO.

So make a choice and take a plunge into the vinyl sea.

many surprises and delights await you.

Cheers

Used TTs (nothing exotic) go for as cheap as 3k. Try Metro Music Hall, Metro gully. They also stock used amplifiers and speakers.

I have taken the plunge into Vinyl territory not very long back. You will have to stretch your budget a bit but it will pay you back many times over

My suggestion would be
1. Invest in a Rega RP1 or similar TT; cost about Rs.25,000
2. Invest in the CNC Phono stage; Cost around Rs.6,000-7,000. It's a giant slayer by all accounts and very popular among forum members .. I have just invested in one .. mine is being built now. Please note that this is a DIY kit, so if you are the DIY type you can put it together, else, you will have to take someone's help like I am doing
3. I am positive this combo with your existing amplifier/speakers will enthrall you. Thereafter, when you do get the upgrade itch, you can upgrade the stock stylus to either an OM20 or a OM30; which should keep you very happy for atleast 3-4 years. It's a route I took as it's a very simple slip off, slip on procedure

Yes, I have a Rega RP1 on which I have upgraded the stylus to an OM30. I am over the moon with the SQ (guess I don't know any better .. thank god for that !!)

I have suggested the above as I firmly believe (which I have written elsewhere in this forum), your first steps into the Vinyl world should be with very decent/good kit so that you get to experience more than a sliver of what Vinyls have to offer you. Else, you run the risk of being disappointed and losing out on a great medium of listening to music

I hope I have been of some help

OMG!! 6k to 7k for the CNC??

I have taken the plunge into Vinyl territory not very long back. You will have to stretch your budget a bit but it will pay you back many times over

My suggestion would be
1. Invest in a Rega RP1 or similar TT; cost about Rs.25,000
2. Invest in the CNC Phono stage; Cost around Rs.6,000-7,000. It's a giant slayer by all accounts and very popular among forum members .. I have just invested in one .. mine is being built now. Please note that this is a DIY kit, so if you are the DIY type you can put it together, else, you will have to take someone's help like I am doing
3. I am positive this combo with your existing amplifier/speakers will enthrall you. Thereafter, when you do get the upgrade itch, you can upgrade the stock stylus to either an OM20 or a OM30; which should keep you very happy for atleast 3-4 years. It's a route I took as it's a very simple slip off, slip on procedure

Yes, I have a Rega RP1 on which I have upgraded the stylus to an OM30. I am over the moon with the SQ (guess I don't know any better .. thank god for that !!)

I have suggested the above as I firmly believe (which I have written elsewhere in this forum), your first steps into the Vinyl world should be with very decent/good kit so that you get to experience more than a sliver of what Vinyls have to offer you. Else, you run the risk of being disappointed and losing out on a great medium of listening to music

I hope I have been of some help

Just want to make it clear that CNC kit costs very less. He is getting it assembled from one of the known technician in Chennai with Power supply, R core, Cab and other hardware and technician's fee(no idea regarding fee).

Regards
Sachin

Being into DIY these days saves a lot of money indeed. Recently I did some painting work on the gates of my home. Saved Rs.1000 on labour for the day.

Being into DIY these days saves a lot of money indeed. Recently I did some painting work on the gates of my home. Saved Rs.1000 on labour for the day.

+1000! If you have the skills, it is better to invest in tools & equipment for the job rather than paying the high labour charges these days.

+1000! If you have the skills, it is better to invest in tools & equipment for the job rather than paying the high labour charges these days.

Yep, this is the trend these days. DIY tools are also easily available these days plus with a lot of reference material as well including videos to do anything possible.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back