Beginner question: Logitech z5500 driver vs polk audio hts10 woofer

swamytk

Hi,

I am not a DIY speaker guy, still I would like to understand internals.

This forum post says "Logitech z5500 driver vs polk audio hts10 woofer. What a shame polk" showing a picture of both the drivers side by side. Can some explain why he says "shame polk"? What he understood from the picture?

driver-comp.jpg

I think, what the poster was alluding to was that the logitech driver looks more beefy with a larger half roll surround (which might promise more excursion).

As always, looks are deceptive, and there is a lot more going on. firstly the polk driver, looks like its made of alumunium and the logi one out of paper. Again, without being emperical, a metal cone driver is likely to be more pistonic in the bass range (ceterus paribus)

Then there is the Motor, voice coil and spider, which all play a role in defining the quality of sound. if the motor assembly does not allow excursion, its actually better to have a smaller surround and more cone area. So IMHO, that poster's reply was subjectivist and without supplying any additional data, should be completely ignored.

finally, those tinny leads going to the Logi driver tell you a lot more about the capabilities of the driver than anything else. :)

I think, what the poster was alluding to was that the logitech driver looks more beefy with a larger half roll surround (which might promise more excursion).

As always, looks are deceptive, and there is a lot more going on. firstly the polk driver, looks like its made of alumunium and the logi one out of paper. Again, without being emperical, a metal cone driver is likely to be more pistonic in the bass range (ceterus paribus)

Then there is the Motor, voice coil and spider, which all play a role in defining the quality of sound. if the motor assembly does not allow excursion, its actually better to have a smaller surround and more cone area. So IMHO, that poster's reply was subjectivist and without supplying any additional data, should be completely ignored.

finally, those tinny leads going to the Logi driver tell you a lot more about the capabilities of the driver than anything else. :)
Thanks, it helps.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back