Beginner stereo setup(for Movies) under 30k

NadirT

Hello everyone.

I have a lg C9. The satisfaction of Oled is nullified by the audio system of the tv. I have been lurking with in different threads to find the right audio solution. From soundbars to active BS. Entry level HTiB to decent AVR+BS combo. This definitely didn’t help me in choosing the right product, but it did actually made me realise what I absolutely don’t want right now and possibly in near future, a 5.1 system. I will try my best to relay my thoughts through following pointers to minimise as much confusion as possible.
  1. My 75% usage is movies and Tv-series(netflix, amazon, disney). 20% youtube, podcasts, and gaming. 5% music.
  2. 12x18 ft hall(220sqft). Tv is on 18ft wall in the centre with viewing distance of 10 ft. I will attach a pic for better understanding of furniture and windows/doors placement.
  3. I wish to limit my budget to 30-35k.
  4. I am inclining towards IAs. Narrowed down to FX AudioD502(₹9000, bcoz of price to performance ratio and Sub out), Norge 2030(no idea about price), Pioneer A10ae(₹16000, saw good reviews online). Also Marantz 5005 (₹21000) seemed a good choice but it doesn’t have digital ports to connect to tv(i hope i am not missing anything) and it stretches my budget a lot.
  5. Speakers- Polk Audio T50 FS(₹22000), Taga Platinum S40 V2(₹16000), Wharfedale D320(₹19000). Checked speakers below 30k.

There are also few points that i wish you all to keep in consideration.

1. I have zero HiFi experience. Haven’t heard any dedicated HT system so don’t have any references point. Anything remotely good will be make a huge difference to me.
  2. I live in Patna. The only HT dealer in my city is Sight and Sound that deals exclusively in Yamaha and Bose. But they can also arrange Polk, Jamo, JBL, not for audition though. This also zeroes my chance of auditioning speakers, as i doubt i will travel to any other city for audition during corona.
  3. Not a fan of glass shattering bass and high volumes.
  4. Can definitely add a Sub later, if required.
  5. I am more inclined towards cleaner dialogues and high treble causes me ear fatique.

I hope i have provided required information. My apologies if i skip something.

Thank you all in advance for your patience and time.

Attachments

• 735E1ED1-EFCA-4724-A0ED-C7D6193E52BD.jpeg
    735E1ED1-EFCA-4724-A0ED-C7D6193E52BD.jpeg
    742.5 KB · Views: 48
Take speakers that measure well, or they are from a reliable brand that consistently delivers good products. Head over to audiosciencereview for the most reliable measurements you'll find on the internet.

Based on your budget, I would suggest, check out JBL Stage A120 or A130. Reputed brand that comes from the pedigree of research that helped set industry standards. Successor to Arena 120, which even Floyd Toole recommends as being a hard to beat speaker with a subwoofer for the SPL levels it can reach comfortably.

Oh! Read Floyd Toole's books. Google him if you don't know who he is.

Take speakers that measure well, or they are from a reliable brand that consistently delivers good products. Head over to audiosciencereview for the most reliable measurements you'll find on the internet.

Oh! Read Floyd Toole's books. Google him if you don't know who he is.

I would like to thank you first @Marakk . Because of your C9 thread, life got a little bit easier.
Now for the matter at hand, I also thought of buying a simple soundbar for the time being(especially since PolkAudio Signa S1 is for ₹4999 on Flipkart). But then things took turn and here I am. JBLs are not so frequently suggested here, so its kind of fascinating to know about these A120/130 and also Floyd Toole. Will definitely search about them more.

I would like to thank you first @Marakk . Because of your C9 thread, life got a little bit easier.
Now for the matter at hand, I also thought of buying a simple soundbar for the time being(especially since PolkAudio Signa S1 is for ₹4999 on Flipkart). But then things took turn and here I am. JBLs are not so frequently suggested here, so its kind of fascinating to know about these A120/130 and also Floyd Toole. Will definitely search about them more.

Haha! Welcome, buddy! Good speakers will outshine soundbars. However, as audiosciencereview has shown, many popular models have a poor response. So better to take informed choice rather than going after subjective reviews. I know Taga and Wharfedale get a lot of love here, but there are no measurements for Taga and measurements for some Wharfedale models aren't neutral at all. I'll probably get flak for this, but oh well, I had to say it. Amir will publish review of Jami S807 soon too, but it doesn't sound promising. If you can't listen, better to get something that is guaranteed to measure well. Pioneer SP-BS22 are also a safe budget choice. If JBL Stage is as good as Arena series, no reason it shouldn't be though, then they'll be slightly smoother than Pioneer models. JBL Stage A170 have been measured by Stereophile and they performed quite well.

Anyway, I have now upgraded my cheap Edifier soundbar to a better one from Samsung, and I'll add rear speakers to it too to get full surround. I was thinking of building an Atmos home theater layout, but my C9 is in currently a small bedroom and imagining the receiver and all the speakers on the wall made me feel claustrophobic. So soundbar only for now. Can't wait to actually get an Atmos home theater though. In future for sure when I move to a bigger space.

If you don't want to go full surround, have you thought of a 2.0.2 system? Atmos will add to immersion. Pioneer has a budget reciever that can do 3.1.2, so you can build it up slowly. I know it's beyond your budget, so ignore if not possible.

Haha! Welcome, buddy! Good speakers will outshine soundbars.
Can't wait to actually get an Atmos home theater though. In future for sure when I move to a bigger space.

If you don't want to go full surround, have you thought of a 2.0.2 system? Atmos will add to immersion. Pioneer has a budget reciever that can do 3.1.2, so you can build it up slowly. I know it's beyond your budget, so ignore if not possible.

Best of luck for your atmos journey.
I have given 3.1.2 a thought and therefore eyed for Pioneer VSX534. But since I don’t have any reference point, I am trying to limit myself. This is one of the reasons that I don’t want to compromise much on speakers as I wish to use them in future build, and also inclining towards under 15k IAs so that they can be easily replaced in 3-4 years. My plan is to build a decent setup now, and in coming months/years audition as much audio systems as possible, and preferably understand my own taste as well. I really don’t wish to go for budget atmos setup for now. Planning on saving at least 1.5L in next 3-4 years for a dedicated HT system.

Also, are BS (JBL A120/130, Pioneer SPB22) good enough to provide decent bass in a ~220sqft area? Not heart thumping, just decent bass effect for movies.

Best of luck for your atmos journey.
I have given 3.1.2 a thought and therefore eyed for Pioneer VSX534. But since I don’t have any reference point, I am trying to limit myself. This is one of the reasons that I don’t want to compromise much on speakers as I wish to use them in future build, and also inclining towards under 15k IAs so that they can be easily replaced in 3-4 years. My plan is to build a decent setup now, and in coming months/years audition as much audio systems as possible, and preferably understand my own taste as well. I really don’t wish to go for budget atmos setup for now. Planning on saving at least 1.5L in next 3-4 years for a dedicated HT system.

Also, are BS (JBL A120/130, Pioneer SPB22) good enough to provide decent bass in a ~220sqft area? Not heart thumping, just decent bass effect for movies.

Well, the bass depends on your preferences. They have enough to present well-rounded and full-bodied vocals and some thump, but not deep bass. Out of these, JBL Stage A130 should be your choice if you want good bass without subwoofer too.

You don't have to replace speakers. Just move them to surround duties. For example, if you get Stage A130 and some budget speakers for Atmos, then you can upgrade to another neutral tower speaker in future and move Stage A130 to surrounds.

Even if you go 2.0, Stage A130 should serve you well. Without listening, your best bet is a neutral speaker. Some would argue those are the best and only kind you should look at, and I am one of those, but you choose something that will appeal to your heart. Otherwise, that upgrade bug will itch soon. Lol

Your choice of Marantz 5005 is very good. At this price point, this is a steal. Will serve you long. Also, will fetch you better resale value than others if you wish to upgrade in future.

I'd like to add a few more viable options for you in the speaker department.

Well received, has clean sound and decent bass. Many use this pair in their stereo setup and are happy. When you go 5.1 or 7.1 in future, you can use this pair as surrounds.

Very few suggest this pair but these are probably the best entry level floorstanders. Can serve you for long as front speakers. Being floorstanders, has bigger soundstage than bookshelf speakers. And it's a Tannoy!

Your choice of Marantz 5005 is very good. At this price point, this is a steal. Will serve you long. Also, will fetch you better resale value than others if you wish to upgrade in future.

Marantz is definitely a good option, but there is just one issue with it. No digital input. I am not sure how to connect it with my tv. It does have headphone out but I am not sure how the audio quality is going to be(I hope I am not wrong about this). That’s why i was looking for IAs which have at least optical input. It will also affect my speakers budget.
I was going through various threads in this forum and found out that FX Audio D302 and Norge Audio are quite a bang for buck and a great entry level pieces to start with(read lighter on pocket).

Last edited:
Marantz is definitely a good option, but there is just one issue with it. No digital input. I am not sure how to connect it with my tv. It does have headphone out but I am not sure how the audio quality is going to be(I hope I am not wrong about this). That’s why i was looking for IAs which have at least optical input. It will also affect my speakers budget.
I was going through various threads in this forum and found out that FX Audio D302 and Norge Audio are quite a bang for buck and a great entry level pieces to start with(read lighter on pocket).
You need to buy a DAC additionally with Optical and Coaxial inputs
VFM options are Schiit modi 3 (10k new, try getting one used) and Topping DACs (through Aliexpress, maybe a riskier option due to current situation)
IIRC even the Norge amps don't have a digital input.
FX Audio D502 has digital inputs.

In that budget, why don't you go for a pair of Active speakers . .Perhaps JBL 306 ?

Check out stereo receivers with digital HDMI input. I believe Yamaha has a model with decent price which you can audition as well in your city.

You can get JBL LSR305s for 15-18K INR used. I recently picked up a pair for music mixing. I believe FM @Jupiter has a pair to sell. You will not get better sound at that price point for sure.

However they are excellent as a 2.0 setup which will be better since you don't want excessive bass and want clear dialogues. The LSRs are the earlier version of the P MK II series. I like the 305 better than than the 306,308. You can always add a JBL sub if you want bass later. You will not require a stereo amplifier since each speaker has an amp in it.

The 305 is available first hand from Amazon who will deliver to your home if you prefer buying first hand. Please note often for studio monitors the price quoted can be for a single unit and not a pair - do check that.

In that budget, why don't you go for a pair of Active speakers . .Perhaps JBL 306 ?
A good pair of active speaker is going to cost me around >30K. And that will also leave my speakers useless if i upgrade in few years. I did look at few budget options like Edifier 1850/2000s but i doubt they will be enough to provide a good movie experience for 220sqft room.

Edifiers are seriously value for money products, as you are looking for TV/Movie you can consider the 2.1 version of Edifier S350DB. It will add proper value to your TV watching experience. Watch online reviews from digital stereophony

The c9 has a line out which is quite decent. Use the option audio-line out from the sound menu. It’s quite decent. Most TVs have a bad headphone out but lg has a switchable port which is a dac out. At your budget I would pick up the best speaker I can afford, then spend less than that for amp and the cheapest decent sounding dac possible. But since like I said the tv has a proper line out at the beginning I won’t bother to get an entry level dac. Less complications is the benefit here. Check out audiosciencereview.comto see what speakers at your budget measures the best. If you are a subjective person, then choose what feels the best to your ears.

Edifiers are seriously value for money products, as you are looking for TV/Movie you can consider the 2.1 version of Edifier S350DB. It will add proper value to your TV watching experience. Watch online reviews from digital stereophony
It's out of stock :3

You can get JBL LSR305s for 15-18K INR used. I recently picked up a pair for music mixing. I believe FM @Jupiter has a pair to sell. You will not get better sound at that price point for sure.

If only I can get a decent pair at a reasonable price. And also I don’t know if got a good deal or not as I have no reference point to judge those speakers.

Honestly your budget is little tight for a good sounding setup at a tv viewing distance. If you are getting bookshelf’s you need good stands to get the right spaciousness, imaging and so on. If you get floor standers they are not cheap as the bookshelf counter parts. Getting a cheap desktop based computer speaker is good for a desktop but not optimized for a counch listening due to their smaller drivers and narrow directivity. At this budget I think getting a active pairs like the jbl 305p can be a viable option if you invest the rest on good stands from soundfoundation. The best pick would have been a pioneer Andrew Jones speakers with a decent class d amp. But those are no longer available anywhere.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back