BEHRINGER Studio Monitor Wins Listening Test... ...Against $9,000 Hi-Fi Speaker

No test details, no review details, just a rather inadequate story about something that might have been a story. That's a shame.

But, if we take it at face value, then my first thought is that your "for people sitting on the fence for buying studio monitors," might be better put as for people sitting on the fence for buying Behringer studio monitors. Behringer is a special-case, in that they supply products which aim to be high value-for-money. They compete with other companies, in the same category at lower prices.

I don't think many doubt the quality of "studio monitors" as such, although they may not be comfortable with the absence of certain sound signatures which they associate with hifi. If they need a comforting price tag, then that is no problem either: my current monitor speaker ambition comes at around 80,000 for a pair, and it is one of the smallest in that manufacturer's range.

Last edited:
Thad, Your point about Behringer is noted. As we still come across "monitors vs regular speaker" or "active vs passive" threads, I thought it might help with people in regard to this discussion.

SOME DATA: Spatial distortion . SLReport10.05.

PS: I am not affiliated with Behringer :eek:hyeah:

As we still come across "monitors vs regular speaker" or "active vs passive" threads, I thought it might help with people in regard to this discussion.

Indeed, it is all part of that discussion, and, although I may not know many of the speakers personally, it is an area that interests me as I do have genuine buying interests.

Curiously (and ignorantly, some may say, and I won't argue ;) ) I had not come across Earl Geddes before, but this is the second time in a week. Heck ... there is a lot of stuff I never cam across before, or yet!

Thank you for finding further details.

ahh

as thad notes

the thing to remember is notall expensive speakers sound great

also each reviewer has his own ears hearing and hence own opinio
No review can tell you if one speaker is better than the other

because that depends on what you can hear and what you cant or dont understand yet

Well, the test is by one of my heroes, Earl Geddes, so I would be inclined to give it some more credence than mere 'story'. Although in the interests of honesty, he should have tested them against his own speakers as well!
And while I buy that the Truths could fool people in the midrange and maybe even treble, there is no way they could have matched the Orion's bass, no?

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back