• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Wanted Benchmark Dac

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers

Nithy

Hello all,

This is my first day here and it's my first post. I was lurking this forum for years and have learnt a lot about audio. As far as my setup goes like audio refinement complete by YBA powering focal chorus 726 and the source being Marantz cd6003 and laptop with tons of flac and wav files which passes through the aq dragon fly black and was quiet happy with it.until I heared the benchmark dac 1 which was connected to yba ya 201 and focal Electra 1007be. I was completely blown by the performance..played the same files which I used in my system and it was a day and night difference, am not aware of all the audio terminologies to explain what i felt. but the sound was very realistic, lively and natural, some thing like the band is playing in front of me.

After this demo I started looking for the same dac but unfortunately couldn't find one hence thought of posting here to get help from audio gurus.. please let me know if some one has this dac and are looking to sell it.

Tnx
Nithy.

BUYING, SELLING or TRADING indicates your automatic and mandatory acceptance of HiFiVISION.COM Trading Rules and Guidelines!

Do not blindly trust every seller or buyer! Protect yourself by following the below safe trading tips.

Safety Tips

For Buyers

1. Always meet the seller at a safe location and inspect the item before purchasing. Following this one rule will help you avoid most scams.
  2. Watch out for unrealistic offers. If it appears too good to be true, it probably is. Unrealistic offers are used to motivate purchasers to make hasty decisions.
  3. Always verify the seller's credentials. Ask the seller to provide a photo ID and proof of address.
  4. Ensure that the product you are buying is not stolen or fake. Always ask for a purchase invoice.
  5. The best way to transact is to collect the item and pay at the same time. Never transfer funds or use a debit/credit/atm card to pay someone you do not know before collecting an item.
  6. Ask for clear information on condition of the item, price, payment and delivery method.
  7. Use only those payment methods that you trust and are familiar with. Never give out your financial information.
  8. It is recommended to purchase items directly from the seller.
  9. Always test the functioning of the item before purchase.
  10. Do your research on comparative prices for the product.

For Sellers

1. Try to take the full payment at the time of the delivery. Remember to use a safe location to meet.
  2. Watch out for fake currency and money orders. Be aware that banks will not honour fake currency/money order and will hold you responsible for it.
  3. Verify the buyer’s credentials if necessary.
  4. Ensure that your product meets the features you list in your ad to avoid any misunderstanding with the buyer.
  5. It is your responsibility to prove that the product you are selling is genuine and not stolen by providing the necessary proof of purchase.
  6. Do not share your financial information except the one required for payment.

saheb11123

Hello all,

This is my first day here and it's my first post. I was lurking this forum for years and have learnt a lot about audio. As far as my setup goes like audio refinement complete by YBA powering focal chorus 726 and the source being Marantz cd6003 and laptop with tons of flac and wav files which passes through the aq dragon fly black and was quiet happy with it.until I heared the benchmark dac 1 which was connected to yba ya 201 and focal Electra 1007be. I was completely blown by the performance..played the same files which I used in my system and it was a day and night difference, am not aware of all the audio terminologies to explain what i felt. but the sound was very realistic, lively and natural, some thing like the band is playing in front of me.

After this demo I started looking for the same dac but unfortunately couldn't find one hence thought of posting here to get help from audio gurus.. please let me know if some one has this dac and are looking to sell it.

Tnx
Nithy.

Benchmark Dac 1 is discontinued now. You can get the Dac2 or Dac3 now new.

Nithy

Thanks Saheb, any pointers on the dealers in India for Benchmark

Nithy

I thought of importing as well but shipping and customs are big pain, hence opted for a used one here. let me see if I can get any other equally good dacs here.

newlash09

Hi nithy...

There is a chord qutest dac for sale in the 'for sale section '. It is the latest incarnation of the chord chordette line stage dac's. And it has stellar reviews all over. I used to have the previous version chord2qute dac, which was lovely too.

Considering that the benchmark dac1 is almost 2 generations old now, I reasonably expect this chord dac to out perform it. So check out and see if you like it. All the best :)

JayaRaa

Comparing dragonfly to even an old DAC such as the benchmark dac1 would have been an eyeopener as you compared performance much like tvs moped vs bajaj pulsar. Not a fair one by any stretch.

Plenty of DAC's in the market, unfortunately no possibility to hear even some if not most of them hence this dilemma. Where did you hear the benchmark DAC? If at a dealers then why not ask if it is available for sale? Being an old dac, it might make sense for the dealer to let go of it.

Nithy

Hello JayaRaa, yes i agree, the comparison is not fair. I hear this dac at a friends place in chennai (he bought it in the US few years back). Seems we don't have a dealer here in India for Benchmark Dac's :(

Could you guys help me in choosing another dac if not Benchmark, with similar / better sound signature and a place where i can demo and pick one (Chennai / Bangalore)

dillihifi

I thought I spotted the Benchmark in Bass n Treble, some time back. They are in Ghitorni, Delhi.

Vinay2013

Yep. Bass N Treble used to keep Benhcmark Dac. Don't know if they still keep it. I once had a session with this dac and one can visualize the placement of instruments when eyes closed. Excellent imaging and separation.

Dhurai

Hi Vinay2013, I completely agree with you, BM is an awesome dac, I got a chance to hear this few years back and it's a great performer. Very detailed sound nd excellent imaging. I too tried for one recently but couldn't get. Will check with Bass N Treble.

Nithy

Hello All,

Nothing turned up from Benchmark, so open for any other stand alone dac's, please let me know if any one got one for sale.

Thanks
Nit.

Nithy

Hi nithy...

There is a chord qutest dac for sale in the 'for sale section '. It is the latest incarnation of the chord chordette line stage dac's. And it has stellar reviews all over. I used to have the previous version chord2qute dac, which was lovely too.

Considering that the benchmark dac1 is almost 2 generations old now, I reasonably expect this chord dac to out perform it. So check out and see if you like it. All the best :)
Hello Newlash,

Demoed few Dacs from Chord, but i dint like the sound, its adding bit coloration to the sound to my ears, and not my preference.

newlash09

Hello Newlash,

Demoed few Dacs from Chord, but i dint like the sound, its adding bit coloration to the sound to my ears, and not my preference.

Thanks for sharing nithy....

Glad you could demo before you sprung for a purchase :)
Yeah there is a difference in the presentation between the chord and the benchmark. Benchmark have a studio heritage , and thus their kit is a very honest rendering of the track.
But I would havr guessed that the chord would sound similar , with slightly better timing and more punch. May I know in which system you heard the chord, so that we can see if the chord indeed is the culprit. Thanks.

Nithy

Thanks for sharing nithy....

Glad you could demo before you sprung for a purchase :)
Yeah there is a difference in the presentation between the chord and the benchmark. Benchmark have a studio heritage , and thus their kit is a very honest rendering of the track.
But I would havr guessed that the chord would sound similar , with slightly better timing and more punch. May I know in which system you heard the chord, so that we can see if the chord indeed is the culprit. Thanks.
Heard chord in 2 systems one is Naim 5si and kef ls50 this combination was bit on the brighter side, and 2nd system was yba and focal Electra, in this combination the entire music was kind of congested, LF seems heavy but not in control. In both the cases some artificial coloration was evident either it be the HF or LF. for my ears this dac doesn't sounded natural.

prateekatasniya

Check rme adi 2 DAC around 90k I guess.
Performance is very close to the benchmark DAC. Has loads of features too. Including parametric EQ.

newlash09

Heard chord in 2 systems one is Naim 5si and kef ls50 this combination was bit on the brighter side, and 2nd system was yba and focal Electra, in this combination the entire music was kind of congested, LF seems heavy but not in control. In both the cases some artificial coloration was evident either it be the HF or LF. for my ears this dac doesn't sounded natural.

Thanks for sharing nithy :)

You have a valid observation there. No matter how highly something is regarded. Our own ears have to like it first. Best is to see what else you can audition around you. All the best ....will be interested in how go along, since I might be in the market soon for a dac ( iam presently dacless ). So please keep posting your journey for the benefit of others like me. Thanks.

firearm12

Sound is entirely subjective and 'natural' might not be same for everyone. Let's suppose I have listened or played an instrument all my life in a certain room and suddenly I take that instrument out in the sun and play. I will feel now its not natural sounding because natural is all what I believed to be natural. Chord qutest is not a coloured dac in my opinion though a little on bright side, acoustic string instruments sound utterly natural on this dac as per my ears. Pls try an audiogd r2r dac, you may like it and find it more natural.