Best 42 inch Plasma TV with max budget Rs 40000

tari1982

Dear All,

I am planning to buy a 42 inch plasma tv with max budget as Rs 40000. I will be mainly using for

1) SD DTH ( and sometimes HD channels )
2) Connecting to PC and browsing
3) Watching DVD'S on the weekends

Please suggest the best set available in the market for my budget. I have narrowed down on
1)Panasonic Viera TH-P42X30D
2)LG 42" Plasma TV 42PT560R
3)Samsung PN43D450A2D 43'' Plasma TV

And i am open to other models and suggestions. Thanks for all the help in advance.

Dear All,

I am planning to buy a 42 inch plasma tv with max budget as Rs 40000. I will be mainly using for

1) SD DTH ( and sometimes HD channels )
2) Connecting to PC and browsing
3) Watching DVD'S on the weekends

Please suggest the best set available in the market for my budget. I have narrowed down on
1)Panasonic Viera TH-P42X30D
2)LG 42" Plasma TV 42PT560R
3)Samsung PN43D450A2D 43'' Plasma TV

And i am open to other models and suggestions. Thanks for all the help in advance.

Best Price for the X30 seen was 35k as posted on this forum. There is a thread for a 42" plasma here

I am also in the look out for a 42" plasma for buy this week. I have short listed following models:

Panasonic 42U30D - Full HD - No 3D - Rs. 43500/-
Samsung 43D490 - HD - 3D (No glass) Rs. 39500/-
LG 42PW450 HD - 3D ( 1 glass) Rs. 38900/-

On side lines are :

Panasonic 42X30 - 36500/-
Samsung 43D450 35000/-

I am not really after 3D. But as the difference in costs between 3d and non 3D models are low, I think it is a bonus. I may not purchase another TV for the next 3-4 years. But cost of the glass is very high. I earlier thought about waiting for 42UT30D hits the market. But cost of panasonic glass is reported as 9K. So I am not waiting.

Of the above, I am leaning on samsung 43D490 as it has one inch more and have good reviews. Moreover I did not have a demo of LG PW450 yet.

Please advice me whether I am on the right track. I have to take a decision by Monday evening. Or shall I opt for 42U30? Any noticeable advantage in Full HD at 42" ?

Go for 42x30. available for 34990 at pai and reliance digital. great vfm. plays all formats including mkv. max power at 200 watts. what more can you ask at this price

god2007, can you please share where you got these prices in Cochin? A friend of mine is also interested.

god2007, can you please share where you got these prices in Cochin? A friend of mine is also interested.

The Panasonic prices from BISMI and others from Kuruvithadam enterprises, both are at Muvattupuzha. Prices are more or less same at their branches in Ernakulam as well.

I am also in the look out for a 42" plasma for buy this week. I have short listed following models:

Panasonic 42U30D - Full HD - No 3D - Rs. 43500/-
Samsung 43D490 - HD - 3D (No glass) Rs. 39500/-
LG 42PW450 HD - 3D ( 1 glass) Rs. 38900/-

On side lines are :

Panasonic 42X30 - 36500/-
Samsung 43D450 35000/-

I am not really after 3D. But as the difference in costs between 3d and non 3D models are low, I think it is a bonus. I may not purchase another TV for the next 3-4 years. But cost of the glass is very high. I earlier thought about waiting for 42UT30D hits the market. But cost of panasonic glass is reported as 9K. So I am not waiting.

Of the above, I am leaning on samsung 43D490 as it has one inch more and have good reviews. Moreover I did not have a demo of LG PW450 yet.

Please advice me whether I am on the right track. I have to take a decision by Monday evening. Or shall I opt for 42U30? Any noticeable advantage in Full HD at 42" ?
god2007,Where you able to find any noticeable difference at showroom between 42X30 and 42U30D.How is the sound output of these models?

god2007,Where you able to find any noticeable difference at showroom between 42X30 and 42U30D.How is the sound output of these models?

Yes, There is a difference in pic quality. When playing HD content ( both the company provided and what I carried in a USB) the U30D is better, even from a distance. When playing SD content the X30 scores.

This difference is obvious as the U30 is full HD and have nearly three times more pixel.

Regarding audio I could not test as there were many sets working.

I narrowed my choice to panasonic 42U30 full HD and Samsung 43D490 (3D). All my attempts to get a demo of LG PW450 failed. Many claim that they have stock of the item, but not put on display. One LG shoppe at MG Road, (in Kochi ) even told me that the company specifically told them not to put it on display. I told them that I will buy it right away if the pic quality is good. But they did not accepted it. Their demand was to buy the item with out any demo. The sales men at all shops I visited were attempting to push me to the new LED 3D TVs. So either the set is of very bad quality or LG is slowly killing the plasma line in favour of LED. Hence I decided to drop the model from my list.

The 42U30 is great on full HD content but not best on SD.
The 43D490 is good for HD and SD but is only 1024x768 resolution and had 3D (no glass)

The price difference is only Rs.3K. Which is the set to be purchased ?

Pana 42X30 is out of question now.

Last edited:
even in trivandrum i dont find many shops selling plasma and the options they display are very less.All are pushing for LCD/LED only.
I will be watching regular DTH for 60%(more into football,f1,motogp) and 40% for movie from USB.Will 42X30 serves my purpose?I was searching for 32 LCD and saw 42X30 priced near to the LCD and hence decided to stretch by budget.Which will be better?

even in trivandrum i dont find many shops selling plasma and the options they display are very less.All are pushing for LCD/LED only.
I will be watching regular DTH for 60%(more into football,f1,motogp) and 40% for movie from USB.Will 42X30 serves my purpose?I was searching for 32 LCD and saw 42X30 priced near to the LCD and hence decided to stretch by budget.Which will be better?
In Kochi many shops have display of plasmas. But you have to look hard as the sales men are not even like to be asked about plasmas. I have seen 42X30 on display at more than one shop. The lowest offer is about 37.5 K. 42U30D full HD costs about 43-45K. As I said earlier on a close scrutiny there is a visual difference between them. 42X30 is 1024x768 resolution which is only one third of full HD resolution. But at the normal viewing distance, say 8-10 ft, the distance is not that visible. That is why it is said that for a 42 inch plasma 42X30 is sufficient. Another thing is that in plasma the light is emitted from the cells itself. But in LCD / LED the light source is in the back and the light illuminates the cells. So an HD ready plasma is far better than an HD ready LCD. If you are not attracted by full HD or 3D 42X30 is suitable for your purpose. It is more suitable than LCD for viewing fast moving sports like motoGP. Even tnen if budget is not a constraint go for 42U30 as it has better panel as well. ( Like in the LCD, there are different types of panels in plasma as well) Put power consumption will be more as there are three times more pixels and you are interested in sports that means most of the pixels will be lighting all ways. ( In LCD as the light source is always on, power consumption does not depends on what you are watching.)

I am also leaning to 42U30 but the 3D feature in samsung 43D490 and LG PW450 is forcing to consider them. 43D490 is a good TV but over all cost with 2/3 pair of glass will shoots to 50K.
You can also consider samsung 43D450 which is 43D490 without 3D and costs about 35K.

Another thing to remember is that support for video formats in USB is found less in panasonic and maximum on LG.

Thanx god2007 for the inputs.
My initial budget was around 30K and hence shortlisted some LCD models from samsung (D 480/580) ,panasonic(32U30,32C30) ,sony(32BX320) which is in that range.As most in the forum says plasma is better for SD viewing i thought of stretching my budget to 37K so as to accomdate 42X30 as i heard that panasonic plasma is better.So stretching further may not be possible now :sad:.
Also i think panasonic offers 3 year warranty which makes me incline more towards panasonic models.

Thanx god2007 for the inputs.
My initial budget was around 30K and hence shortlisted some LCD models from samsung (D 480/580) ,panasonic(32U30,32C30) ,sony(32BX320) which is in that range.As most in the forum says plasma is better for SD viewing i thought of stretching my budget to 37K so as to accomdate 42X30 as i heard that panasonic plasma is better.So stretching further may not be possible now :sad:.
Also i think panasonic offers 3 year warranty which makes me incline more towards panasonic models.

good. Now panasonic is offering three year warrenty as a festival offer. Go and purchase ithe 42X30 it is good value for money. If possible try to demo the samsung 43D450 which is 2K less and in my opinion is comparable to panasonic if not better. It has good reviews also over the net. Carry some stuff on a usb and form an opinion.

good. Now panasonic is offering three year warrenty as a festival offer. Go and purchase ithe 42X30 it is good value for money. If possible try to demo the samsung 43D450 which is 2K less and in my opinion is comparable to panasonic if not better. It has good reviews also over the net. Carry some stuff on a usb and form an opinion.

Its 1 year service warranty & 3 year panel warranty

Dear All,

Thanks for all the answers but I am getting confused with all the answers some are suggesting I wait till Diwali. I guess I will do that but I still need to decide on the model. Once again interested in only plasma min screen size 42. Please help decide the best model under Rs 40000

Thanks in advance
Tari

On Entry level 42" , save your money and buy the X30 or the Samsung 43D450 whichever you think looks better.

Hi All,

Me too planning to buy a 42" plasma.

done some research, visited some shops and came to the following conclusions.

Samsung D490 is the best VFM plasma.

1) HD and Full HD is irrevelent if your viewing distance is more than 8'.
I have compared X30(HD) and U30(FHD) playing same 1080p side by side and came to this conclusion.
At about 6-7' you can see the vertical lines on X30 but sharpness still similar to U30.
2) 3 different reviews of samsung D490 confirmed excellent black level performance. thereby panasonic advantage is nullified.
3) Niether panasonic's U30, X30 has greyscale or gamma settings, samsung and LG has.
4) D490 samsung is a better buy for Rs. 5000 more. don't buy 3D glasses today. they will get really cheaper soon.
3D has future, ESPN 3D has started broadcasting in the west.
already reliance and videocon HD recievers are 3D ready. Sooner or later there will be 3D channels in india.

Hope this helps to make a decision.

Thanks for the inputs, i am getting the samsung PN43D450 for 33000 from GRIHAS indira nagar is this a good price and will it come futher down or should I wait till diwali.

Regards
tari

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back