Best Atmos/Dts:x Movies

pantpank

Hello all,

Since we spend so much time in discussing setting up best atmos setup according to our budget and need, I thought why not talk about your favorite Atmos/dts:x movies that you enjoyed in your existing setup.

Recently having updated to Atmos receiver, I watched a couple of movies that had atmos or dts:x sound. While some were less engulfing with hardly any overhead effects, some blew me out with their sound effects. I have ranked my favorite atmos/dts:x on the basis of 5 star ranking ( 1 being lowest and 5 being highest) to the following categories -

-Atmos overhead/height effects
-LFE and bass response
-Channel separation

So my top fvrt sounding Movies are-

5) Jurassic world fallen kingdom
Active overhead speakers- 3*
LFE/low bass - 4*
Channel separation- 3*

4) Godzilla king of the monsters
Active overhead speakers- 3.5*
LFE/low bass - 5*
Channel separation- 3*

(This movie has crazy bass and lfe. Its ideal one to test your subwoofer.)

3) Mad max fury road
Active overhead speakers- 4*
LFE/low bass - 4*
Channel separation- 4*

2) A quite place/ Gravity

A quite place
LFE/low bass - 4.5*
Channel separation- 4*

Gravity
Active overhead speakers- 5*
LFE/low bass - 3*
Channel separation- 5*

And my favorite sounding movie which i use for demo is...

1) Ready player one
LFE/low bass - 4.5*
Channel separation- 5*

Ps: Forgot to include John wick movies. They sound awesome and have best dynamics.

What are your favorite sounding Movies?

Last edited:
Thanks ready player one is amazing. You can try new bladerunner, it has some nice atmos ambience. Recently, I watched inception, there's one scene where they trigger the kick by throwing him in water. That scene was awesome.

Those are definitely one of the top ones for me. A few more additions from my experience.

1. Overlord - Whole movie has some very nice height and LFE effects, Chapter 1 especially.

This one might be an underrated one :
2. Guardians of the galaxy 2 - Has some excellent channel separation and one of the better Marvel/Disney mixes imho.

3. Into the spider-verse - OMG this was one of the most dynamic tracks I've heard. Bass was super clean, height channels had very good action in the fight scenes and the music/ambiance fit perfectly.

4. MI Fallout, Venom also had some pretty nice low end (bathroom fight scene) and height effects in the action scenes. Musicals and ambiance effects shine nicely as well.

Most of the Nolan movies - Dunkirk and the Dark knight trilogy, although not in Atmos the DTS-MA tracks are super vibrant.

Those are definitely one of the top ones for me. A few more additions from my experience.

1. Overlord - Whole movie has some very nice height and LFE effects, Chapter 1 especially.

This one might be an underrated one :
2. Guardians of the galaxy 2 - Has some excellent channel separation and one of the better Marvel/Disney mixes imho.

3. Into the spider-verse - OMG this was one of the most dynamic tracks I've heard. Bass was super clean, height channels had very good action in the fight scenes and the music/ambiance fit perfectly.

4. MI Fallout, Venom also had some pretty nice low end (bathroom fight scene) and height effects in the action scenes. Musicals and ambiance effects shine nicely as well.

Most of the Nolan movies - Dunkirk and the Dark knight trilogy, although not in Atmos the DTS-MA tracks are super vibrant.
Couldn't agree more .

Edge of tomorrow and dark night as once that test limits of subs in the start scene. Book of Eli has some very nice scenes . Many of chinese movies also use good sound effects apart from visuals. Aqua man also has some great thumps . Interstellar has some famous bass tracks as well

Edge of tomorrow and dark night as once that test limits of subs in the start scene. Book of Eli has some very nice scenes . Many of chinese movies also use good sound effects apart from visuals. Aqua man also has some great thumps . Interstellar has some famous bass tracks as well
Watched Edge of tomorrow last night and have to admit it is one of the best sounding movies! Even though it doesn't have atmos track, the dts hdma track is top notch with lots of dynamic range. Also this one is my favorite Tom cruise's movie.

Watched Edge of tomorrow last night and have to admit it is one of the best sounding movies! Even though it doesn't have atmos track, the dts hdma track is top notch with lots of dynamic range. Also this one is my favorite Tom cruise's movie.
If you get time, do watch Godzilla (2014) too. As a movie, i find it better than 2019 king of monster. In terms of audio, the DTS audio mix is very dynamic with reference quality bass. Hopefully, it will soon get an upgrade to 4k and Atmos/dtsx.

If you get time, do watch Godzilla (2014) too. As a movie, i find it better than 2019 king of monster. In terms of audio, the DTS audio mix is very dynamic with reference quality bass. Hopefully, it will soon get an upgrade to 4k and Atmos/dtsx.
Thanks for the recommendation, will definitely check it out!

Hello all,

Since we spend so much time in discussing setting up best atmos setup according to our budget and need, I thought why not talk about your favorite Atmos/dts:x movies that you enjoyed in your existing setup.

Recently having updated to Atmos receiver, I watched a couple of movies that had atmos or dts:x sound. While some were less engulfing with hardly any overhead effects, some blew me out with their sound effects. I have ranked my favorite atmos/dts:x on the basis of 5 star ranking ( 1 being lowest and 5 being highest) to the following categories -

-LFE and bass response
-Channel separation

LFE/low bass - 4*
Channel separation- 3*

LFE/low bass - 5*
Channel separation- 3*

3) Mad max fury road
LFE/low bass - 4*
Channel separation- 4*

A quite place
LFE/low bass - 4.5*
Channel separation- 4*

Gravity
LFE/low bass - 3*
Channel separation- 5*

1) Ready player one
LFE/low bass - 4.5*
Channel separation- 5*

Ps: Forgot to include John wick movies. They sound awesome and have best dynamics.

The new addition to the list is - 'Deepwater Horizon.'

Watched it last night and must admit that this one beats every atmos movie I've watched so far in terms of is overhead/height channels activeness. This movie has the best utilization of overhead channels and they were more active than the surrounds. So if you looking for a movie with an immersive atmos experience, this one would be the one.

The new addition to the list is - 'Deepwater Horizon.'

Watched it last night and must admit that this one beats every atmos movie I've watched so far in terms of is overhead/height channels activeness. This movie has the best utilization of overhead channels and they were more active than the surrounds. So if you looking for a movie with an immersive atmos experience, this one would be the one.
This has been on my watch list for quite some time, but haven't, inspite of having the disc, which i forgot.
Your post has given me a reminder...ha ha..

Dear Fm’s

I am starting this thread to discuss everything about LFE and atmos effects. Main topics to cover is movie scenes where your subwoofer was good, bad and for ported subs which scenes your subwoofer suffer from port chuffing.List your movies with time stamp of the action sequence

I will start of with Gemini man. The bass felt very flat and muddy. There was no punch at action sequences. Mine is a xtz 10.17. My sub excels In action sequences. Not sure if the bass in the movies requires a better sub or the LFE track itself was bad.

Edge of tomorrow- Intro bass, well this one is a killer and we all know it. Heavy port chuffing

My Fav action sequences where xtz 10.17 rocks my room:

Aquaman: Action sequences at 00:11:31 and 01:26:51. Has Excellent LFE, surround and Atmos effects
Wonder Woman: Action sequence at 1:12:01 and 01:53:49 Has excellent LFE and surround effects but atmos was ok
Deadpool: 00:06:34 and 01:21:37. Excellent action sequence. Gun shots, explosions crashes
John wick- Short gun action sequence. 01:38:13 Excellent thump when shots are fired
Ready player one- car race 10 mins. Awesome LFE and Atmos
Venom-Bike Chase. Atmos, explosions,crashes just love everything from this sequence.00:54
MIB International-Gunfight.00:39:44
Overlord-After 5th minute this is one hell of a scene to push you sub. Heavy explosions with good atmos, surround effects and after 00:08:19 it goes low and after few seconds when all are preparing to jump of it digs deep and medium to high port chuffing. Also rattled my window some times.

@mods please merge it with relevant threads if it exists or delete if not required

@Nikhil @Naturelover @arj Mods kindly merge this thread with the below

Moderator Note: Merged as requested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all,

-LFE and bass response
-Channel separation

LFE/low bass - 4*
Channel separation- 3*

LFE/low bass - 5*
Channel separation- 3*

3) Mad max fury road
LFE/low bass - 4*
Channel separation- 4*

A quite place
LFE/low bass - 4.5*
Channel separation- 4*

Gravity
LFE/low bass - 3*
Channel separation- 5*

1) Ready player one
LFE/low bass - 4.5*
Channel separation- 5*

Are your ratings based on the stream via Netflix/Other streaming channels or did you try with an actual blu ray ?

Back