Best Bookshelf speakers with in 2k to 4k bracket??

yuvaraki

I was basically targeting the Dayton Audio B652s. However the customs and the shipping charges isn't that appealing. So now the question, do we get Pioneer SP BS 21 in India? Link -http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS21-LR-Watt-2-Way-Speaker/dp/B004MEWZE4. What is my best bet as compared to Dayton B652s both in terms of SQ and value-for-money? Please suggest something we get here in India and Im not ready for DIY yet! :)

sorry about that, im interested in nice stereo setup for music

yes, i considered sonodyne, wharfdale and oders in the same price range and the advice abt them is aplenty here

what i cudnt find though was much disucssion abt speakers cheapers than 7-8k.

I understand below that we might not get decent speakers but from whatever is available, which is the best bang-for-the-buck model??

also im interested in knowing if Dayton audio b652 is in its own league or do we have any competitors??

if you can make one do so

stick a peerless full ranger in a cab
you have a good pair in under 4k

Are you interested in used product? Sonodyne 909 is one great bookshelf. You only get them in used products' market now.

thnx for the suggestion bro, yea i dont mind but as i mentioned earlier, im new to this stuff im not that sure abt risking money on used products, i guess u basically take a leap of faith by buying such stuff, isnt it??

neways, my plan is to make use of the 'Dayton Audio Dta1' amp that i ordered and am unable to use with my current speakers, 'Altec Lansing BXR 1221'.

Before getting to Wharfdales and Sonodynes, i want to play around wid the likes or b652s(budget range) and my amp just to get to get understanding of how these things work, wat say?

look at the peerless audio website
the 3.5 inch full ranger - pick one with 90 sensitivity so its easy to drive with a cheap chip amp

stick that is a ported cabinet

im sure there are couple helpful guys on the forum who will recommend the cab specs
provided you give them the TS parameters of the driver
use of 12mm MDF is sufficient
no bracing reqd for a 3.5 incher

since theres no crossover the build is really simple
just connect the driver to the speaker terminals and stick the driver in a cabinet and your done

cabinet is as simple as this
http://madisound.com/pdf/markaudio-enclosure-plans/CHP70-BR.pdf

just change the dimesnions as adviced according to the TS parameters

youre not gonna have heavy bass - but a nice smooth midrange with a non fatiguing top end
cant expect too much for 4 k can you

is it this driver ?
SM16N(UniQ)_1.JPG

Have anybody here tried that particular driver ? How is it sound ?

thnx for the suggestion bro, yea i dont mind but as i mentioned earlier, im new to this stuff im not that sure abt risking money on used products, i guess u basically take a leap of faith by buying such stuff, isnt it??

neways, my plan is to make use of the 'Dayton Audio Dta1' amp that i ordered and am unable to use with my current speakers, 'Altec Lansing BXR 1221'.

Before getting to Wharfdales and Sonodynes, i want to play around wid the likes or b652s(budget range) and my amp just to get to get understanding of how these things work, wat say?

Not really! Buying a time tested old hifi is much safer option for newbees. It will hardly cost you 2.5-3K and you won't repent for a single penny after buying a sonodyne product. :)

what i really meant is when you are buying it second hand, dont you have to trust the seller when he says that his product is in gud shape?? isnt that a risk, if u buy one and later realised that there is some defect? is there a fool-proof method that experts here follow when buying speakers second-hand??

what i really meant is when you are buying it second hand, dont you have to trust the seller when he says that his product is in gud shape?? isnt that a risk, if u buy one and later realised that there is some defect? is there a fool-proof method that experts here follow when buying speakers second-hand??

Yes there is a fool proof method.
Go listen to them, look at them, hear them out for a a good 30 mins to an hour
After dong both. and if they seem fine then buy it.

A lot of folks here have picked up used products and not many have complained. and that includes me

One very important thing the some second hand dealers sale repaired speakers
which have distorted response in the mid freq region due to cheap parts used to repair.

They cleverly keep cds that are altered to cut some % these frequencies , all will sound good ,if you play those and buyer buys .

So never trust the dealers cds .. take your own.

Yes there is a fool proof method.
Go listen to them, look at them, hear them out for a a good 30 mins to an hour
After dong both. and if they seem fine then buy it.

A lot of folks here have picked up used products and not many have complained. and that includes me

Recently I purchased one used floorstanding speakers for Rs 7000/-. As mentioned by members in the earlier post. You have take you own CD. In my case I took all the equipments that I will use at home for listening music/movies. Took Onkyo amplifier, media player and hardisk (as I use this as the source). For the given money I liked the sound and bought it. In your case its better you take your amplifier and CDs (music source that you use). I feel, if you are carefull enough, most of the times second hand equipments fair well. Best wishes for your bookshelf hunt in that budget.

One very important thing the some second hand dealers sale repaired speakers
which have distorted response in the mid freq region due to cheap parts used to repair.

They cleverly keep cds that are altered to cut some % these frequencies , all will sound good ,if you play those and buyer buys .

So never trust the dealers cds .. take your own.

I've never come across this. However good info.

I usually stay away from dealers and if at all I need to pick up something its usually from an end user who s either upgrading or shifting base..
I recently picked up a used 5.1 setup from a FM as a tertiary system. I went to his house played around with the speakers / sub/ AVR. heard some of my own tracks. Everything seemed in order and I picked it up.
So yes carry your own CD's and AMP if possible.

The seconds dealers are very clever to book customers,they have network , they use some owners to push audio repaired gear too ...

many polite looking audiophiles earn commission this way

it happened to my close friend when dealer sold a repaired cdp and many gentleman suggested to upgrade cables,Power supply etc ;) , actually they we linked to the dealer because SQ was bad, I opened the CDP it was repaired

Last edited:
thanks for all of your replies bhailog!! great info!!! ill definitely keep these points in mind and will be on a constant look-out from now!

but could you all suggest me passive speakers in this price range if you can, forget abt what quality i can get but just give me few names and models

why is there very lil or no discussion abt this at all? budding enthusiasts like me wud definitely love such threads. esp ppl like me who would like to take minor strides at a time rather than leaps to appreciate the beauty of the gear as we go higher up the ladder! wat say?

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back