Best cheap entry level full range drivers?

krishtrinity

I am trying to build a small active speaker with 2 full range speakers without breaking the bank,right now i found couple of drivers from Dayton and peerless that is in my budget.My focus is on fun punchy yet detailed sound,volume is not an issue and doesn't want the speakers to get too loud because i live in a flat and don't want to disturb my neighbours.Can you recommend which driver is best for my project,any advice would be welcome,such as building a Bluetooth speaker

The Dayton is a good choice. Bibin stocks them in India; So no headache of importing them either.

If you wanna go a level up, there's tang band and there's visaton etc.

Building a full ranger may seem easy because you think there's no crossover but building a great sounding full ranger needs careful box calculations and a compensation network whose values can be guesstimated at first but need to be fine tuned progressively.

Port selection is also important; so port calculations should be done well.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about Velodyne ? Heard they make quality full range drivers. Not available in India though (directly).

P.S, they outsourced to China. Sorry. If you can get old stock, it would be great.

I am trying to build a small active speaker with 2 full range speakers without breaking the bank,right now i found couple of drivers from Dayton and peerless that is in my budget.My focus is on fun punchy yet detailed sound,volume is not an issue and doesn't want the speakers to get too loud because i live in a flat and don't want to disturb my neighbours.Can you recommend which driver is best for my project,any advice would be welcome,such as building a Bluetooth speaker
Why don't you explore something with our own FM SIDEWINDER18X (Vivek)? I have interacted with him and it turns out that he can put together a driver basis your requirements (woofer, mid bass, sub) by sourcing the parts locally/abroad. This may be done on a budget as well. You can PM him and maybe it helps. He is very knowledgeable.

Cheers
Kartick

Why don't you explore something with our own FM SIDEWINDER18X (Vivek)? I have interacted with him and it turns out that he can put together a driver basis your requirements (woofer, mid bass, sub) by sourcing the parts locally/abroad. This may be done on a budget as well. You can PM him and maybe it helps. He is very knowledgeable.

Cheers
Kartick

Thanks for the suggestion,but this project i am doing myself to get experience.Sound quality is not important because its for a small Bluetooth speaker with 2 drivers.I will move to building better speakers later and will probably need his help

If it's for experimenting without spending much, you can go with Bolton or Peerless with your eyes closed.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back