Best HDTVs for DVD viewing and gaming

vramak

Hello AV aficionados!

I am planning to buy an HDTV soon. Main uses would be,

1. PS3 gaming (almost all the great PS3 games have a native resolution of 720p)
2. DVD viewing (have a big collection that I want to rewatch in the new TV)
3. Occasional Blu ray viewing.

I will not watch TV programmes in the HDTV. My viewing distance would be 8-10 feet.

And now to my questions,

1. What resolution is good for my usage? 720p or 1080p ?
2. What screen size is good for my usage?

I, with my limited knowledge, think that 42" 720p plasma TV should suit my purposes. Please let me know if there are better options.

You have got it right, although you may even check out the 50" (I have a similar viewing distance and I ended up buying a 42" plasma!).

You may also consider LCD as you'd be doing gaming quite a bit. A lot would be driven by the budget though - at least in my case it was :)

You have got it right, although you may even check out the 50" (I have a similar viewing distance and I ended up buying a 42" plasma!).

You may also consider LCD as you'd be doing gaming quite a bit. A lot would be driven by the budget though - at least in my case it was :)

kneo,

Will 8' distance be okay for a 50" plasma?

Thanks for the reply kneo!

I decided against LCD's because I thought plasma's offer bigger screen size and better picture quality for the same price. Yes, plasma's consume much more power and thus are more expensive to run but considering that I'll use this TV for about 2 hours a day on average, I thought I need not worry about power consumption.

Yeah, I thought about 50" too. But I am not sure if 720p resolution would be good enough for a 50" TV.

42" Plasma is good for you and at 42", there is absolutely no need for FHD. Have a look at Samsung B450 and Panasonic X10.

If you want an entry level FHD, get an Panasonic S10 for 50-55k.

BTW, FHD is not mandatory for 50" either. It is essential for > 50" though.

Thanks Blasto! I've just purchased the Samsung B450, 42" plasma. :)

Got it for 42.5K, without Sun HD (slightly on the higher side I believe.) It's gonna arrive home in a while. :yahoo:

Thanks Blasto! I've just purchased the Samsung B450, 42" plasma. :)

Got it for 42.5K, without Sun HD (slightly on the higher side I believe.) It's gonna arrive home in a while. :yahoo:

Wow, thats a great TV for a great price.
Time to enjoy..

Share your PS3 experience. That is one variable I have no answer for. :)

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back