Best horor movies

1. Rok Sako toh Rok Lo
(Starring Sunny Deol, Produced by So-called Management Guru "Arindam Chaudhary")
"Dare to think beyond good movies !!"

2. The Last Lear (Starring Amitabh Bachchan,..again Produced by 'Arindam Chaudhary')
The biggest horrible experience of my lifetime !

The Grudge
The descent
The Thing
The Exorcist

To add to the list:

Pan's Labyrinth (Spanish) (Not much horror into it, but if you watch alone and think negative...you may feel horror)
The Shining
Clover-field (Occasional horror experience, yet so thrilling)
The Ring

Last edited:
Hindi
1) AAG ( RGV)
2) Yaadein - Subhash Ghai
3) Hum 60 - 60 hain!
4) Ra - One
5) Paheli ( Shahrukh as romantic ghost - horrible!)
6) Ganga Jamuna sarswati

LOL.:eek:hyeah:. I just fell off my chair....:D

My pick :
The Evil Dead i & ii
Fright Night:D

Zee tv's Anhonee:sad::eek::eek:
Dam* I hate those people with white eye balls:eek:hyeah:

I feel horror movies in the 80's & early 90's were very good or may be it's just my school days effect.:eek::cheers:

English:

1.The Shining.
2.Alien.

Two serious horror movies that I liked. None seen in Hindi.

vjc

well, most of the recent times and classics have been listed. few from me:

English:

The Curse
Braindead (grose kinds)
Paranormal Activity (watch it alone)
Nightmare on the elm street (older original version)

Hindi:

Ragini MMS, was much better than I expected it to be..watch it alone and some scenes are sure to give you the creeps.
Woh Bhayanak raat - typical ramsay type movie, but one of the better ones.

cheers

Recently saw 'Shutter' (English) on a TV channel
In Hindi - Bhoot (I can still recall my night shift exp. after watching that movie)

I don't think this list can beat the horror of Ra.One, but I'll make humble and feeble attempt. Extending it a little beyond the Supernatural / paranormal and adding some cult movies as well, so this is not a "best" list, rather a random selection from the movies I've seen.

1. The Exorcist
  2. The Omen, Damien: Omen II and Omen III: The Final Conflict
  3. Ringu (Japanese). If interested, you can watch Ringu 2 and Ringu 0:The Birthday. Ringu: Spiral follows the book more closely and does not conform to the plot of the other two films.
  4. [Rec]
  5. Let the Right one in
  6. Shutter (2004 Thai Original): The American re-make is crappy. In general, I find original horror movies to be better than Hollywood re-makes though I can make an exception for a few films like The Ring.
  7. Tale of Two Sisters (Korean original)
  8. The Thing: John Carpenter version. One of my favorites!
  9. The Shining
  10. The Orphanage
  11. Evil Dead Series: Just get into a campy mood before watching. The second part is one of the first Horror Comedies I watched.
  12. Paranormal Activity: Wonder why people consider bass-heads as "bad" people? Watch this film. Apparently demons are associated with Sub-bass.
  13. Brain Dead / Dead Alive: Before Peter Jackson made movies on hobbits and giant apes, he was making really gory, vomit inducing movies on a tight budget. You should start with 'Bad Taste' though! A little later, he made "The Frighteners", which is a different kind of a film from these two.
  14. Near Dark: While not as great as many other vampire movies, this one is a slightly different take on vampire movies. Other vampire films from around that time would be "Fright Night" and "The Lost Boys".
  15. The Others: More psychological than scary.
  16. The Exorcism of Emily Rose: More a Court room drama than horror film, but well done!
  17. In the Mouth of Madness: A relatively unknown John Carpenter film with Sam Neill. I've watched it long time back and liked it well at that time. Not sure if it will satisfy me if I watch it again though!
  18. First three of the Dead Series by George Romero - The Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (1978), Day of the Dead (1985).

If you have the patience and the mind set, try watching F. W. Murnau's "Nosferatu" (1922). I was a bit annoyed by the lead actor, but the count's performance, make-up and special effects considering the time period stand out.

I am a horror movies freak
My favourites, classified (Sorry for long list... I want to cover as much as possible:D. All first part unless mentioned otherwise)

Classic:
Psycho

Psychic:
The Shining

Possession:
Evil Dead

Mysterious:
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Slasher:
Nightmare on Elms street

Haunted:
Poltergeist

Mutation:
The Thing

Undead:
The Ring

Disturbing :
Paranormal Activity (only the climax)

Unexpected:
The Others

Funny:
Scary Movie 2

Zombie:
Night of the Living Dead

Supernatural:
Alien

Vampire:
Dracula

Bloody/ Suspense /Thriller:
Saw

And the best of all times:
The Exorcist

I'm not a fan of the horror genre. But I do like movies that get under my skin and horrify me with the implications of what is shown (or not shown), or which make me squirm with discomfort by identifying with the suffering and helplessness of the protagonist. A couple of the movies that stand out in my mind:

Martyrs: It looks like a gore movie on the surface and in the first act, but this movie goes beyond ordinary horror in the second act, and it truly shocks us with the depiction of the extent of suffering a human being can endure. The real horror comes with what we learn in the last few minutes of the movie: We learn what real martyrdom is.

Antichrist: Other than the dark and foreboding tone of the entire movie, what will be seen cannot be unseen.

A Serbian Film: Layer upon layer of unvarnished depravity. This movie shocks with the rawness of the imagery. Imagine having your arm broken, cut open and a steel brush used to scrape off the flesh. This is what watching this movie feels like.

Salo: Very much similar to A Serbian Film except that this movie excels in disgusting you more than horrifying you.

The Wicker Man (the 1973 original, not the 2006 abomination starring Nicholas Cage): The movie builds slow, and the atmosphere grows thicker and closer little by little. Not for the faint hearted, and not for those who want a movie to deliver the goods in a hurry.

english-halloween franchise friday the 13 th franchise the shining texas chainsaw masscare my bloody valentine 3d original and remake paranormal activity the faculty scream triology i know what you did last summer triology. hindi movies-baaz a bird in danger sshhhhh....... kaal raaz kuch to hai khilona bana khalnayak

@hydra,

Would you say 'Salo' and 'Serbian film' are more difficult to endure than Cannibal Holocaust?

I went down that gore-fest road last year starting with a few Alexandre Aja films like Haute Tension, Hills have Eyes and stopped with Cannibal Holocaust (as animal torture, especially tortoise was a bit too much to handle for me). Most of those movies were recommended in this thread on abi.

Of those films, only 'Martyrs' and 'Inside (2007)' were memorable. Martyrs is not for everybody. It IS brutal, haunting, at times difficult to handle, but also beautiful in a weird way. I need to catch it again to see if my opinion still holds.

If you'd prefer disturbing movies than just plain horror films, here are a few lists (there are many others, but a few of them contain movies that are not as disturbing for me):

10 More Extremely Disturbing Movies

Top 5 Most Disturbing Films Ever Made | Horror Lists | Life After Undeath

Extreme Cinema: Top 25 Most Disturbing Films of all time part1 | HorrorNews.net

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back