Best HT option for a budget of 200k-250k

Eddierockks

Hi everybody, I have been a member of this forum from quite a few years now and a budding HT enthusiast. Although, I want to buy the HT system now only when I am done with the final work with my HT cabinet (finalising the new design, paint, etc.). I hope that it will be done before diwali this year. So, I want to finalize the models of various equipment that I will eventually buy this year as I do not want to start my research after the room is done completely because I'm very impatient. I have now always wanted to buy a separate AV Receiver with specific speakers because earlier, like a lot of other people, I used to feel that Bose Lifestyle 48 is the best HT system that one can buy in that budget. Boy, I was so wrong! Now, this HT has to be installed in my bedroom and I would love to have killer sound + effects. I had my carpenter build a HT Cabinet which I purposely didn't let him complete because I wanted to experience using it before spending good amount of money on High Gloss polish/PU Paint/Automobile paint in white color. I am attaching a picture of my current setup which is badly organised or let's say, not organised at all. Please bear with me after watching the attachment. Actually, the idea was to put glass shelves in that cabinet and cover it up glass doors. I now wish to have a separate desk for iMac and separate for the HTS. Currently, I'm using the following equipment on my cabinet:
1. Samsung 51" D550 Plasma (Looking to buy Samsung 55/60 ES8000 series LED TV this year as well)
2. Onkyo HTS 3400
3. Oppo BDP-93
4. PS3 80GB (Hacked)
5. PS3 500GB (for genuine and original BD's/Games)
6. Xbox 360 Modern Warfare Edition 250GB
7. Tata Sky HD+
8. Logitech Z-5500 speakers
9. iMac 21.5" (2009)
10. Bose Companion 5 speakers 2.1 system
11. Pioneer DDJ Ergo
12. AMD based CPU connected to the plasma
13. Logitech Harmony 900 Universal Remote
14. WD TV Live Hub
15. Apple TV

I have my tastes in 90% movies and 10% music and tv combined (tv soaps are a routine watch for my wife :) ) For me, I don't watch much TV let's say maybe 25-30 minutes a day (& sometimes not at all). Just got the Bluray membership pack from moviemart.in and very excited about it. So basically, I'm a movie buff who likes to enjoy good sound with all effects in their place. As it's a bedroom, I have this cabinet (see attachment), a bed & a couple of chairs and a coffee table to come in the future. I do have paper laminated wooden flooring and not marble/tiles.

I bought a HTS 3400 from Onkyo in Oct 2011 to be ultimately shifted my parents room when I buy my dedicated HTS. Initially, I had some settings problem, their engineer came and while he was doing his job in front of the servant (I was on my way back from work), he tried to pull the cabinet away to adjust some wires and unfortunately, broke the glass panel/display of my iMac :mad: Yeah, he had to get it repaired for me but since then, I made my mind not to go for Onkyo AVR simply not because of their products but their service engineers here in Punjab :indifferent14:

1. Now, I am very confused about the AVR as I don't know which brand to go for. I read it somewhere that Marantz and Denon are good for music and Yamaha and Onkyo are good for movies. Is that correct? Please suggest as I personally have my inclination towards Denon or Marantz and not Yamaha. I really do not have a specific reason for that but that's really it. If you guys would suggest, I can audition their models. Never auditioned a Yamaha avr before. Considering mainly 3313, 4520 (from Hong Kong :eek:hyeah:), 6007, 7007, etc. solely based on internet reviews. Rest please suggest.

2. Considering my budget, I have roughly kept aside 1 lac Rs for the AVR. Is that ok? Or do I need to increase or decrease it? I really want a good product that can be used somewhere else in my home in the future if ever I wish to upgrade my AVR :D. Currently, I have 6 bedrooms, 3 living rooms, a dedicated lounge bar (in the making) and the usual stuff like kitchen, drawing room, dining room, gym, etc. Previous idea was building a dedicated HT room but friends don't want to sit like robots in rows to watch a movie when we are drinking :yahoo: So, I cancelled that plan and now I think we will have a BIG (110" or more) screen with proper HT system & the bar there as well as a couple of tables with chairs and beautiful seating options for get togethers and house parties. So, I can use it either in my room, my brother's room or the Lounge bar in the future.:)

3. There are not much dealers here in Ludhiana, Punjab so can't audition more systems here. Actually, people here in the north want to sell you whatever they have on demo:indifferent14: I have to specially go to Delhi for auditioning various options by next month. So please suggest me a few speaker options. I'm not sure if I want a 5.1 or 7.1 or even 9.1 system for my room. The room measures 13feet (wide) x 17feet (long). So the viewing distance varies from 9-16 feet as sometimes I use a chair and sometimes I watch from the bed. I'm a little inclined towards the following options after checking reviews from the internet:

-B&W (no idea about the pricing but really have heard all good things about them, heard they offer VFM and not like B&O which I auditioned in Taipei and then was amazingly disappointed!:sad:

-KEF Q900+rest of the speakers from KEF itself

-Waterfall Audio and Totem suggested by a close friend who is a dealer for them. I think they offer aesthetic value and not VFM. Will audition them but in the end because the friend is really close and I would close the deal instantly if I like them when I audition 'em. So, I want to do my homework beforehand.

Rest you guys are a better judge and much more experienced here. So really looking forward for your valuable input helping me to start auditioning and finalise in the meantime while my room gets complete. I do not necessarily want to spend 250k unless it's pure VFM to me. I would like to alter my HT cabinet design as well because now, I'm considering buying floorstanding speakers for the front, & maybe rear bookshelves. So for front floorstanders/towers, I would cut short the cabinet from the sides so that the front look can accomodate the towers. *I don't have any space on the right because there's a door to dressing room there. Thanks in anticipation & keep your views coming in, cheers everyone :)

Attachments

• 2012-12-18 02.45.16.jpg
    2012-12-18 02.45.16.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 315
With 1 lakh range for AVR, I would look at the Denon 3313. It is a 7.2 Network AVR, 3 source 3 zone audio, Zone 2 Video over HDMI (2- AV sources simultaneous).

Is it better than Marantz 7007 considering movies is what I'll be doing most of the time? I checked on technoguru.in and it said 97,500 Rs for 7007. Denon is also available at 99k so not much difference in price. Kindly advise.

I am using denon 3313 and can tell you for sure this thing rocks. I use this to drive my RTI A9 and it can take it to levels where i am scared. Video upscaling is amazing you will see your old dvds in a totally new way and only seeing is believing.

Rest is your call.

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. I just had a look at them at their website and they look really good.

make a budget for a power amp and go for pre out wala avr....i am not sure... all models over 70k is having the feuture.??
1 lakh avr is not really needed imho.combine with 70k avr and 40k power amp....this combo is just hell like powerfull....can feed the speakers as much as they want.keeping avr completely unloaded and cool
..a 1 lakh avr cannot feed them as much as this combo...and the extra feutures of a 1 lakh avr than a 70k wala..............will be used really once in a blue moon...maybe never

speakers as per ear...there are many.kef and b&w both are good...

Last edited:
Can you suggest me a few options prosenjit for said AVR and power amp. I've no knowledge about power amps at all.

Also which AVR brand would you suggest for 90% movie watching? Is that right that Yamaha and Onkyo serve best for movies and not Denon and Marantz? Please guide me a little here.

For speakers, I managed to find Kef prices on Profx.com . Is there generally some discount from the mrp mentioned on their website? And for B&W, I couldn't find their indian prices online? Or if I did, everywhere there are different prices and difference also of 20-30k per model. Don't know which prices are reliable. So I would really appreciate if you could show me the light here. Thanks (Y)

1.yes on profx kef..there is a discount 10 to 12 on mrp....
2.sorry no idea abt B&W india...
3.great power amp...EMOTIVA...CHECK THIS..

UPA-500 Five-Channel Power Amplifier | Emotiva Audio | High-end audio components for audiophiles and videophiles, spanning 2-channel music systems, as well as 5.1 and 7.1 home theaters. Products include multichannel amplifiers, stereo amplifiers, and

4.PRE OUT wala avr denon 2313/3312 which is around 72k/80k...
5 PRE OUT wala maratnz..

Marantz SR5007 7.2 AV Receiver

alongwith pre out....it has....a very versatile feuture...
7.1-channel analog audio preamp input...

one thing is gurrenteed

this 1 lakh avr+power amp set will fail 1.5 avrs in powre catagory...you can easily and safely drive full speaker loads...without loading avr...
ask gurus

6.onkyo good for movies..yes..as per people..
you go your ear wise...see how speakers behave with differebt avr..take your pick..dont go by suggestion..

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply.

- Can anybody else here help me out with B&W speakers pricelist?

- Any ideas on where can I procure or audition Emotiva power amps? I will be visiting Delhi and Pune soon with a cousin as he has some work there. Any suggestions?

- For now, next room adjacent to my room's walls is of my parents. It is still under construction and hopefully, they'll shift here by the end of this year. So, what I am thinking is that I might not want a power amp as of now because I am going to already get a wonderful sounding 5.1 system in that budget and maybe, installing a power amp would add to the disturbance. Not sure, just thoughts in my mind at the moment. But, anyhow, I would audition them and see if they change my mind.

- About the AVR's, I comrehend your point here. I would now audition them few models and then decide which model to pick. Initially, before starting my research, I used to strongly like Marantz. But, now, I have my options open. Thanks again for the help.

I would request all the seniors & gurus to please help me out here as I'd be going to Pune for some work on 7th February and I'm hopeful that I can audition most of my favourite stuff there. Any B&W showroom/dealer who I can visit to audition their range? It'll be my first trip to Pune so I have literally no idea about the place. Also, if you guys can suggest some good dealers who have variety of best avr's on display like denon, marantz and yamaha. Somehow I am not inclined/interested towards Onkyo for AVR. It'll be icing on the cake if I find KEF, B&W, Paradigm speakers etc for demo.

Please help me out here because I'm really looking forward for some genuine help & guidance enabling me to finalize my HT equipment asap. Thanks in anticipation.

Go in for a pre cum power combination buying a powerful power amplifier and a basic pre processor.

Immediately Emotiva comes to my mind as Prosenjit said.

It can blow anything else that you have talked in this thread away on a good budget too.

The main problem here is transportation and shipping from the US.

I am sure the gurus can make more recommendations but this is my humble opinion.

http://shop.emotiva.com/

Vinod

Last edited:
-B&W (no idea about the pricing but really have heard all good things about them, heard they offer VFM and not like B&O which I auditioned in Taipei and then was amazingly disappointed!:sad:

-KEF Q900+rest of the speakers from KEF itself

-Waterfall Audio and Totem suggested by a close friend who is a dealer for them. I think they offer aesthetic value and not VFM. Will audition them but in the end because the friend is really close and I would close the deal instantly if I like them when I audition 'em. So, I want to do my homework beforehand.

... I'm considering buying floorstanding speakers for the front, & maybe rear bookshelves. So for front floorstanders/towers, I would cut short the cabinet from the sides so that the front look can accomodate the towers.

My 2 cents:

Since you are close to Delhi, I would recommend looking up PSB's Image towers (T5 and T6, both). They would be within 1L or slightly beyond that (due to recent price increases?). Very nice floor standers. They typically go well with NAD so look up a NAD AVR. Else, Denon should go well too. Lakozy is the dealer there.

Beyond PSBs, KEF Q900 is worthwhile looking at. Again, I have demoed Q700 with Denon 1911 and it gelled well. I am sure Q900 would be good to go with 3313.

B&Ws would require slightly higher amplification as they are power hungry so that would push your net HT cost. And they are hardly "VFM" in India. I recently came across a 5.1 set up of B&Ws 600 series (I think I got that right) which retails for 2.5-3 L. See if that interests you, of course amplification is extra :)

Beyond that, I would also recommend the following:

1. Paradigm Monitor 11 floor standers
  2. Focal 826 floor standers
  3. Polk Audio RTi A9 floor standers

Totem for aesthetic value only? They are one fine piece of speakers but pricey. But certainly not all show and no go. Waterfall acoustics - no opinion but have heard they have nice aesthetics.

For your cabinet, please plan for adequate rear breathing space for the speakers else you would not do justice to the money spent. Don't box them in an enclosed space, irrespective of a bookshelf or a floor stander.

Hope this helps.

I am not sure what speakers are available but I highly recommend a Networked AV Receiver in the entry level range with pre-outs.

I have had my share of fun with high end AVRs including Denon 4310 and Onkyo 5009 as well as yamaha 3010. It was so much fun to have all the AVRs for few months and then pick up which one fits the best. Unfortunately this was not in India and reselling used AVRs did not cost me much except for eBay fees.

Coming back to the money linked reality, I would suggest to look at Marantz SR6006 which I have currently (I guess it sells for 65k these days). Picture processing is basic but SQ is very nice. If you have low sensitivity or power hungry speakers then add a Power amp at a later stage.

Focus on Movies - I would definetly go for two 10" subs (min). Choose the subs with EQ (like Velodyne). May be you can start with one sub.

B&W is high priced, less VFM speakers. Thier 6xx series is kind-a-alright but the brand magic starts only with 8xx and at this price they are hardly VFM and competition offers a lot better at lower price.

If money is tight and place is plents, I would just get Wharfedale 9.1 speakers - 3 pairs and use a pair for center in parallel and rest four for the four channels (Left, Right,SRLeft, SRRight). it needs a very good amount of money to jump the SQ of these Wharfedale 9.1 speakers in movie context.

Hope this helps.

- Any ideas on where can I procure or audition Emotiva power amps? I will be visiting Delhi and Pune soon with a cousin as he has some work there. Any suggestions?

- About the AVR's, I comrehend your point here. I would now audition them few models and then decide which model to pick. Initially, before starting my research, I used to strongly like Marantz. But, now, I have my options open. Thanks again for the help.

+1 to Emotiva Power Amp. Emotiva ships directly to India, there are many Glowing reviews on the Internet for their Power Amps. I believe shipping charges would be around 350$ extra for UPA-500 (customs extra).

Go in for a pre cum power combination buying a powerful power amplifier and a basic pre processor.

Immediately Emotiva comes to my mind as Prosenjit said.

It can blow anything else that you have talked in this thread away on a good budget too.

The main problem here is transportation and shipping from the US.

I am sure the gurus can make more recommendations but this is my humble opinion.

Emotiva Audio

Vinod

Hi Vinod thanks for your valuable input. I am also impressed by the rave reviews of Emotiva but the problem is even after paying a lot of custom duty, etc. I still won't get any after sales service here in India which is big concern to me. I am kind of guy who insists on with bill products so that I can knock on their door when the product goes bad. Could you recommend me some other model which can be procured with ease in India and they do have their authorised service centre/s? I'd really appreciate your input. Thanks again.

Hi Eddie,

The emotiva company model is based on an online internet sales/service model. So that is how they keep costs low. So no actual dealers can be found for emotiva products.

If any dealer say that he is an dealer for emotiva, they are just importing and selling it to you (Other FMs can enumerate more on this.)

You get a 5 year transferable warranty on emotiva products and a 40% off on purchase of the next pre processor so the upgrade is less painful in the future.

Now about the warranty part, they are quite helpful if the product goes wrong in that they provide assistance or parts as required. There are a few FMs who have got complete replacements for products gone bad or not working. Go through the forum for many FMs who have bought emotiva.

There is recent an FM who has bought an pre and power 2 channel and go through his thread for more insight into the matter.

Hope this helps.

Vinod

My apologies everyone as I had been really with the office work from past one week. I'll be going to Pune tomorrow with my cousin who has his interview in SSBM on 8th feb. So 8th evening onwards ill be free for auditioning suitable equipment for my HT setup. I have my return flight on 9th night. My inclination is towards B&W, Kef, Polk, Paradigm, Focal Audio, etc. Can you guys suggest me the dealers who I can get in touch with for the same? Also for AVRs I'm still open to Yamaha, Marantz, Denon as well as Nad. I'm kind of sure that Emotiva wouldn't be available for a demo here. So really looking forward for your input guys.

Much thanks :)

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back