Best matching Integrated Amplifiers.

aa_asif

Hello Audiophilers,

This would be my first post in this forum.

I would like to give an idea on my current setup and would like to take expert opinion and feedback for replacing my Integrated amplifier.

This is how my present setup looks (Close to 20 years old):
- Akai Integrated Amplifier AM-U55 (drives 55W @ 8 Ohms)
- Sansui P1000j Floor standing speakers pair(100W @ 8 Ohms)
- Akai Floor standing speakers pair(80W @ 8 Ohms, 90db)
- Sony 1 ACD Player
- Sansui Turtable
- Akai Cassete Player
- Akai Digital tuner

I would like to replace my present Integrated amplifier with a new one. Which one would a best match for my current setup.
Kindly suggest me a good brand and with some light on the best match specification.
I have short listed one over here:
Azur 640A (Version 2) amplifier (75W @ 8 Ohms)
would this drive my 2 pairs of speakers summing up to 180W @ 8 Ohms.

Have a budget under 25K. Please please help me here :-(

Asif Aslam, Bangalore

the CA is a great amp at the price,but u need to see how that pairing sounds to your ears.do ask ur dealer for a home demo.enjoy,cheers

System matching is headache for serious listener & you need to demo new amps with your current spk to check if the sound is of your choice.

System matching is headache for serious listener & you need to demo new amps with your current spk to check if the sound is of your choice.

Could you suggest the min power output which could drive my speakers?? This would be a big help!!!

asif,its not the wattage per se thats imp,more how the amp drives the spkr.hence a demo with a few amps is called for.of course the ca 640 should do a very good job.choose an amp which gives u min 60w/ch and u should be sonically satisfied.cheers

As you said 80w with 90db sensivity, it can need 40w as lowest power to drive it safely(say Nad 326bee)

Thanks for the suggestions..But here I am trying to drive 2 pairs of floor standers which sums up to 180+180 W @ 8 Ohms.. This is where I am getting confused regarding the min power to drive these speakers.

Thanks

Asif

asif,its not the wattage per se thats imp,more how the amp drives the spkr.hence a demo with a few amps is called for.of course the ca 640 should do a very good job.choose an amp which gives u min 60w/ch and u should be sonically satisfied.cheers

Thanks alot Rallynut.. But I would be connecting 180W @ 8 Ohms to per channel here.. Would a 60w/ch will do the job here??

Correct me if I am going wrong somewhere.

Thanks in advance

Asif

looks like u want to drive both ur spkrs from the same amp(hence the 180w figure?).dont knw about that,but am sure the ca will drive each pair separately,no issues.me thinks u need just one pair,when properly setup,which will change the way u perceive music ;),cheers

dear audiophiles one Q. :)

which[Nad326/CA550/PM6003] do you think amplifies closest to the form present in the source - lesser fancy(or non-fancy) enhancement during amplification - because I want to leave that job to the source and the speaker??. I heard marantz makes the sound musical - what does it mean ? So, is it a side effect[in pursuit of minimising inter-circuitry interaction] or a deliberation - a stupid Q may be!!

Actually it's bit difficult for me get all the possible combinations I want to test here in the showrooms. So when I hear something good, bit hard to figure out whether it's the speakers or the amplifiers, or is it the combination - any trick to solve this is also most welcome :)

thanks,
Lalit

I am told that the 640A is the older model, and 650A is its successor. So you might want to consider the 650A - which I found it to be a great amp. Also it might fit the budget, not sure though.

Have a budget under 25K. Please please help me here :-(

Asif Aslam, Bangalore

dear audiophiles one Q. :)

which[Nad326/CA550/PM6003] do you think amplifies closest to the form present in the source - lesser fancy(or non-fancy) enhancement during amplification - because I want to leave that job to the source and the speaker??. I heard marantz makes the sound musical - what does it mean ? So, is it a side effect[in pursuit of minimising inter-circuitry interaction] or a deliberation - a stupid Q may be!!

Hi

Very good question that requires an almost philosophical answer since any speaker system will alter or colour the sound to some extent. Some do it more than others thats all. Also not knowing your system its kinda hard to answer the queston.

Having said this the 3 options you have provided colour the music to different extents. In my experince the marantz is the least offensive of them. NAD makes it a bit dull and CA makes it a tad brighter in most of my auditions.

Hi

Can you clarify by what you mean by driving both pairs of speakers? Are you planning an A and B connection and running at diff times or simultaneously? - This is NOT a recommended approach if thats what you have been using.

Hi

Can you clarify by what you mean by driving both pairs of speakers? Are you planning an A and B connection and running at diff times or simultaneously? - This is NOT a recommended approach if thats what you have been using.

Yes, I was always using Speakers A & B simultaneously. Could you clarify what exactly wrong with this?

See.. I've 2 pairs of speakers here.. Akai 80W,8 Ohms and Sansui 100W, 8 Ohms. which would sum upto 180W.. Correct me if Iam wrong somewhere here..

Last edited:
Yes, I was always using Speakers A & B simultaneously. Could you clarify what exactly wrong with this?

See.. I've 2 pairs of speakers here.. Akai 80W,8 Ohms and Sansui 100W, 8 Ohms. which would sum upto 180W.. Correct me if Iam wrong somewhere here..

The key figure is not the 180W but the impedence (8 ohms). Essentially if you are running 2 pairs of speakers at the same time then the total impedence is 1/8 + 1/8 = 1/4 (ie, essentially you are running a 4 ohm load). Your integrated may be able to run it for a while and trip if the load becomes higher say when you play the music loud. Most receivers are not meant to handle 4 ohm loads and could shut off after sometime even though you are assuming a 8 ohm load based on the specs on the speakers.

I suggest instead of trying to use it in such abnormal way, invest in a small AVR that has 5 channels at a minimum and use the speakers as such.

Go for a stereo receiver. I 've just bought a Harman Kardon HK 3390 for Rs 25000 from sahil Intn, Mumbai. Worth every penny. Do go for a demo.

The amp is rated at 80w x2 both channel driven at full power at 8ohms, THD of less than 0.07%. It has high current capacity.

Actually, I did survey the market a bit and looked at Cambridge, Denon, Yamaha and Marantz. I don't know why we do'nt talk much on this forum for HK.

I liked Cambridge, but for my listening needs , Harmon Kardon just suited right.:)
Denon amps and receiver are just too much over- priced. You can buy the same amp in Singapore for half the price.:mad:

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back