Best pairing speaker for CA 651A

sanjaimv

Hi All,
I recently bought CA 651A amplifier as part of upgrading after selling my mediocre Kenwood KAF 3030R. Can you please suggest most suitable speakers for the amp. Now I have Epos ES 11 bookshelf, a 20 year old one which I bought a few months back from a friend of mine. They are good but I doubt if I can make the best out of my new amp with these speakers. my budget is USD 750 to 1250. I live in Dubai, I believe almost all international brands are available here.

just because a speaker is 20 years old... dont rule it out.

try to get the best out of your rig by ;-

investing in a good source ( DAC / CDP )
speaker positioning
a good pair of speaker stands ( if you dont have one )
interconnects ( last preference )

The Epos is a good speaker and if you plan to stick to Epos, the Elan 10 / Elan 15 could work.

Basically a lot depends on your room and music tastes as well..

regards

just because a speaker is 20 years old... dont rule it out.

try to get the best out of your rig by ;-

investing in a good source ( DAC / CDP )
speaker positioning
a good pair of speaker stands ( if you dont have one )
interconnects ( last preference )

The Epos is a good speaker and if you plan to stick to Epos, the Elan 10 / Elan 15 could work.

Basically a lot depends on your room and music tastes as well..

regards

Thanks for the suggestions. I use Onkyo DX C390 (6 CD changer with Wolfson DAC) , I have speaker stands but not good interconnects. Is "monster" a good one for interconnect? my preferred genres are reggae, blues, folk etc.
Another issue is availability of CDs. Last day I tried to get "Piece by Piece" of Katie Melua and "God willin and the Creek don't rise" by Ray Lamontagne. Both are not available anywhere in Dubai. Even in India most of the shops selling CDs either closed or they are selling something else. How you source your music?

Hello Sanjai,

Epos should be fine with New Amp too. Have you tried to connect speakers to the New Amp? Did you feel something is Missing or Lacking? Monster should be good to start for interconnects.

Coming to CD Story, CD shops are getting closed day by day due to the Digital era.You need to search a lot to catch hold of the CD's in case its not available Online.

Alternate (Hope you have a Computer\Laptop) is to stream music from the Digital via DAC.We have few Sites which is available for Hi quality FLAC,Wave, MP3 320Kbps PAID Download.

hi,

CD's mainly for from amazon in USA thru friends etc..
Records also thru friends and discogs etc..

maybe you may like to go the DAC route and rip all your files into flac..

but if the CD itself it not available... then you could download it from sites selling them and play them thru dac.

try a source change before a speaker change if you can...maybe you can get a decent CDP or a DAC from friends etc..

for interconnects... there is athread started on this forum by jls001.... please do read up.. quite educative..and there you will find your answers.

But in dubai..its best to get Mogami 2549 pre terminated from audiogon.... the cost will be about USD 100..

put up pics of your rig so people can visualise your room better and suggest alternatives ( if any )

mpw

Hello Sanjai,

Epos should be fine with New Amp too. Have you tried to connect speakers to the New Amp? Did you feel something is Missing or Lacking? Monster should be good to start for interconnects.

Coming to CD Story, CD shops are getting closed day by day due to the Digital era.You need to search a lot to catch hold of the CD's in case its not available Online.

Alternate (Hope you have a Computer\Laptop) is to stream music from the Digital via DAC.We have few Sites which is available for Hi quality FLAC,Wave, MP3 320Kbps PAID Download.

I connected and using the new amp for 1 week . The dealer was using Mezzo 6 and 651C CDP, I think. When I auditioned, I heard more punchy sound (weighty bass and clearer mid range). May be their CDP plays a big role in that set up.

hi,

CD's mainly for from amazon in USA thru friends etc..
Records also thru friends and discogs etc..

maybe you may like to go the DAC route and rip all your files into flac..

but if the CD itself it not available... then you could download it from sites selling them and play them thru dac.

try a source change before a speaker change if you can...maybe you can get a decent CDP or a DAC from friends etc..

for interconnects... there is athread started on this forum by jls001.... please do read up.. quite educative..and there you will find your answers.

But in dubai..its best to get Mogami 2549 pre terminated from audiogon.... the cost will be about USD 100..

put up pics of your rig so people can visualise your room better and suggest alternatives ( if any )

mpw

as you mentioned CDP , can you please suggest a good one for my setup. What about CA 651C ?. Almost equally expensive as the Amp.
I prefer neutral to warm sound rather than bright.
meanwhile I will try a different speaker positioning.

in theory the CA should match well ....

if possible... audition it...

do visit dubai audio and request Adil to setup a basic naim rig for you. Take your speakers with you and the stands too.

That will give you an idea of what to look for when you audition different CDP with with your amp.

One different way would be to request dubai audio to setup the naim dac V1 with your amp and speakers....

i think you will like it...

Its a Dac but its not so expensive and you can rip all your files into flac or wav and play with your laptop.

I make this suggestion as i do not know CA availability in dubai / abu dhabi etc...

regards
mpw

mpw

sanjay,

addong on..

do audition a few setups at dealers in dubai ( in your stretch budget ) and you will figure out what's missing in your rig or what more you need ??

once that is done... atleast the direction is set.

regards
mpw

Hi,

Im also thinking of buying the set 651a/651c...
Can you tell about the perform of it? How has it been your exprience with the cambridge components?

After some demos, I think I will pair this HIFI set to TANNOY speackers model V4I. I really would like to demo Dali Zensor 5, but i didnt yet find a local dealer with this brand...

Iniciatilly a consider the qAcoustics 2050i. great budget, good lookin, nice performance... But Tannoy has a moore warm and natural sound!

Own a CA 651A since last 2 years. Earlier having a Mordaunt short A 6,Now Dali zensor 3 apart from this KEF Q300 Matches very well...any budget FS OR BS speaker which is easy to drive will do good.

Nowhere on this earth you find an quality budget Integrated amp. providing a more Watts per bucks then this !!(If you know let me know here for sure)

Its sounds totally neutral,though Bass is not very good.But I never had a issue as I always used bass heavy speakers with it.It drives them well IMHO .so wouldn't be a problem to find a good match.

Your quest for more detailed information should ends here....

http://www.vieta.es/pdf/HI-FI-CHOICE JULIO 2014.pdf

START Auditioning only !!

Regards

Last edited:
Own a CA 651A since last 2 years. Earlier having a Mordaunt short A 6,Now Dali zensor 3 apart from this KEF Q300 Matches very well...any budget FS OR BS speaker which is easy to drive will do good.

Nowhere on this earth you find an quality budget Integrated amp. providing a more Watts per bucks then this !!(If you know let me know here for sure)

Its sounds totally neutral,though Bass is not very good.But I never had a issue as I always used bass heavy speakers with it.It drives them well IMHO .so wouldn't be a problem to find a good match.

Your quest for more detailed information should ends here....

http://www.vieta.es/pdf/HI-FI-CHOICE JULIO 2014.pdf

START Auditioning only !!

Regards

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience... That was what I was looking for.
Also great comparison article.
I've read some personal reviews that indicate the 651a sound lacks of excitement, probably due to poor bass!

You said you resolve it with bass heavy speakers... Can you indicate some for me? Rather floorstanders...

Back