Best Place to buy 220/110v Step down transformer for AV Receivers

binaya.kumar

Hello,

Which is the best place to buy a step down transformer for my AV receiver in bangalore. My Pioneer VSX-920K receiver needs 110/120v 270 watt.

CHEERS.

There are two types. One is a auto transformer type and the other is isolation transformer types. For sensitive electronic equipment isolation type is preferred. I bought a 500va isolation type from Vishal electronics on sp road. Good quality with meter and mcb. Works very well with my Yamaha receiver. Little expensive though.

Cheers.

Thanks kittu and anilva .....

I will give a hit on S P Road tomorrow and definitely consider your suggestions. I did a blunder by using one maxcon converter. It kaboomed and took the power circuitry of the receiver along with it :sad: .

If it would not be raining black and blue I would have hit some shops today atleast ...

CHEERS

Hi,

Dropped down to Vishal electronics on S P Road today. They have only Rextronics transformers (with 6 months warranty) . I got the auto one. The gentleman :p told me isolation is for very sensitive equipment like medicals and all .... and it will take one day as they will wind it only after order is placed. Was in no mood to go again and wait longer :) .... It costed 1225 for me. And isolation windings * 2 = Price * 2

CHEERS

DO NOT use auto transformer with AVR.

If it goes kaput, it will take AVR with it (it will supply full 240 V on output). On the other hand, if isolation transformer goes bad it will just stop working and wont screw up AVR's power supply.

Output would be 110V in normal cases. However if there is any issue with in winding in future, it would start supplying 220V in output.

Isolation transformer either supplies 110 or would not supply anything (if it goes bad).

Try maxine transformers from Shah Electronics. Their head office is located in Chennai.
You can try Ashay Electronics, Bangalore. Got this address from their website.

But it is a big Auto transformer ... weighing atleast 5-6 Kgs. Not the small adaptor one. This is an Electrical transformer with fuse. Input is 220v and output is 110v which I checked before buying with a multimeter in the shop.

Something like this -

eBay India: voltage converter 220volts to 110 volt 500WATT 500w (item 140429975063 end time 17-Nov-2010 23:12:49 IST)

Please suggest if this is not the proper one.

I have suggested you Isolation and not the Auto Transformer type. Vishal has a good Isolation transformer, but will take one day to deliver to you. Auto transformer types are not adviced for AVRs. If possible, return and exchange for a Isolation type.

oooooooo ..... i think thats the first thing I will do tomorrow ... But I don't know what the stupid maxcon thing did to my receiver. Given it for check up at Pro Audiotronics ... Lets see what has happened to my receiver ... In case the Power circuit is gone I think I am doomed :sad: ... can anybody rescue me then subak subak

If power circuit is gone, its not too bad. Wait for the diagnosis before you buy transformer.

If you have to replace power supply, you might as well buy a 220V power supply for it. In that case you will not need any transformer.

wooooooow ... u said something that put life into my deserted soul :p . where can i buy the power circuit for an imported receiver from US . can the receiver which is imported from US and supposed to work at 110v be replaced with a local power circuit which provides 220v. is this available in India (bangalore) ? How much it might cost ? where can I get it done? so many questions but i m in that state :sad:

Most amplifier repair shops would be able to source replacement power supply.

Cost is around 2,000, its higher for AVRs with more powerful amplifier section. You might have to wait for 2 - 3 week though.

Try maxine transformers from Shah Electronics. Their head office is located in Chennai.
You can try Ashay Electronics, Bangalore. Got this address from their website.

I'm getting my SR608 from US this week. Checked with Universal Transformers (SP Road) they quote 2,800 for 1kva types. Is it good over Maxine or should I check with Ashay about Maxine? which one is the best?

I have suggested you Isolation and not the Auto Transformer type. Vishal has a good Isolation transformer, but will take one day to deliver to you. Auto transformer types are not adviced for AVRs. If possible, return and exchange for a Isolation type.

Hi Anilva, is Vishal on SP Road? what's the full shop name/contact# (if u know).. will definitely want to check on isolation types. I hope 1KVA is enough fof Onkyo SR608 with 120V/6.3A rating.

oooooooo ..... i think thats the first thing I will do tomorrow ... But I don't know what the stupid maxcon thing did to my receiver. Given it for check up at Pro Audiotronics ... Lets see what has happened to my receiver ... In case the Power circuit is gone I think I am doomed :sad: ... can anybody rescue me then subak subak

What did happen and what is the issue with your AVR?

Cheers

Hi Venkat ... the story goes like this ... I got Pioneer 920K frm US ... just read a lot of reviews and never bothered about the services in india .... was not wise enough to have joined the forum that time .... believed some stupid electrical shop guy and used a third grade transformer .... boooooom .....

Now have given it to some technician who is still trying to figure out whats wrong with the receiver ..... he has been trying now for more than 1 and half month ... I am nt sure if I am gonna get it back :(

Hi Venkat ... the story goes like this ... I got Pioneer 920K frm US ... just read a lot of reviews and never bothered about the services in india .... was not wise enough to have joined the forum that time .... believed some stupid electrical shop guy and used a third grade transformer .... boooooom .....

Now have given it to some technician who is still trying to figure out whats wrong with the receiver ..... he has been trying now for more than 1 and half month ... I am nt sure if I am gonna get it back :(

Talk to some senior members from Bangalore and find a right technician to give life to your system

I'm getting my SR608 from US this week. Checked with Universal Transformers (SP Road) they quote 2,800 for 1kva types. Is it good over Maxine or should I check with Ashay about Maxine? which one is the best?

Hi Anilva, is Vishal on SP Road? what's the full shop name/contact# (if u know).. will definitely want to check on isolation types. I hope 1KVA is enough fof Onkyo SR608 with 120V/6.3A rating.

Vishal transformers and vishal electronics are on the left side when you are walking down sp road. You cannot miss them.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back