Best possible Sub-Satt combination under 100k

Dr.Bass

Hi All,
This is for a friend of mine. He wants to buy a 6.1 speaker system for his HT setup.
The budget is 100k (just for the speakers including subwoofer) and he is rigid about a sub-satt combo only. No floors or bookshelves, only wall mount.

I have very little experience in this area, please help.
I have shortlisted Deftech ProCinema 1000 and Mirage omnisats, thats only going by their reputation but I dont know the pricing. Please suggest the prices of these speakers and also suggest any other speakers that you think is the best under 100k.

Room size is about 250 sqft
Ideally a 6.1 is preferable over a 5.1

Frankly speaking, auditions may not be possible because:

1. In Bangalore we dont have many high quality brands doing sub-satt.

2. My friend is an enthusiast but not an audiophile, he may not be able to spare time for auditions and anyway I will have to accompany him to auditions because he doesnt have much exposure to these things, even an entry level package will impress him "unnecessarily":lol:, he will then come running to me asking for suggestions. So, chances are very less that I can accompany him to auditions as well. Maybe, one or two shortlists from this thread, if available in Bangalore for demo can be auditioned.

Hope you understand the situation. So, I will heavily depend on you guys to guide me with the best packages, their prices and obviously dealer in India.

Please Shoot:)

Last edited:
I have shortlisted Deftech ProCinema 1000 and Mirage omnisats, thats only going by their reputation but I dont know the pricing.

Avoid the omnisats. They sounded pretty sad imo. Other than Deftech, he can check out the Keff Eggs as well as B&W MT-30 No idea about the current pricing, although its a no brainier that MT-30 will be quoted sky high in India. Someone here was mentioning about the Deftech recently and ircc it costs around 1L

00(0909200925).jpg

MT-30_l2_w817_h328.jpg

+1 to what Unleash has said.

I have heard the kef 3005 HT with an onkyo 876 IIRC, and it sounded pretty good. It brought out detail and punch for high action movie scenes even in an untreated, audio hostile environment.

The B&Ws with that PV1 sub is way over the budget but u could substitute it with the cheaper subs from the brand.
My experience with these are very limited too but the DT s are supposed to be good.

I may be ridiculed here but a Bose sub sat will also deliver the goods for HT.
rgds

After listening to the KEF eggs and the B&W, I found the Quad Lite package to best both of them. It is also well within 100k. However, there is not much to choose between them and it depends upon personal preference.

Quad-LITE2-BLACK-Quad-L-ite-2-5-1-Channel-AV-Speaker-System-in-Black-0.jpg

Not the best picture, but thats what I found.

Last edited:
I jsut heard the JMLab Sub sat called the Sib and Cub yesterday with a Denon AVR. sounded very good even in a 2.1 (did not have the Bloated Bass most Subsats have).. although i do not think the sub goes very low..it does what it does very well.

am not carrying any of my CDs this time so had to hear it with a regular Eagles DVD.

not sure of what it costs in India though

I agree on the new Mirage omnisats. the older bigger ones were far better than the new nanosats

BTW..for him, a bose setup would also be pretty ok.

I will listen to the Kef Eggs. Somehow deftech is still on my mind.
The quad looks interesting but I am not sure if these would do full justice to a movie like King kong...the seismic underlying bass information that is present in many of the hollywood movies, will this Quad be able do it ? I ask this because Quad is more about being sophisticated and humble and not really about dynamics and extension. I may be wrong here, so please educate.

Dinyaar, my friend started off his shortlist with Bose:lol:....I drifted him away.
I know Bose can create a decent soundstage in HT and sound nice but when we talk of extension, attack, air and all that they are like a Radio:eek:hyeah:.

BTW, his current HT setup is a Sonodyne Sonus, with their 2605 floors, centers and in-wall dipolar rear. So he is not an absolute newbie.
Space constraint is what is forcing him to dismantle this setup and get a more compact speaker system.

Not at all a HT expert, for that you need a really Good Sub ! thats all.
get a SVS/Vlodyne/HSU...with any decent Sat and put the crossover at around 100 Hz

Dr. Bass,
I have owned Quad Lites and have auditioned (not in length) KEF Eggs, B&W MT series and Mirage Omnisats. While these are all in one league I can tell you that the Martin Logan Motion was a league apart. Infact it was beating some of the best bookshelves at its price. The tweeter in it was simply one of the best I have heard. I would strongly recommend Martin Logan Motion over all of these. You can audition the Motion 4 in Bangalore (Absolute Phase) I suppose (but not as a 5.1 I think). Last I checked the Motion 2 pair costed less than 30k while Motion 4 costed about 35k. I am not sure about the centre channel cost, but it might be atleast 20k. The subwoofer Dynamo 500 should cost you another 30k. So, in all it might come to 30 + 30 + 20 + 30 - just above a lakh as my guess. I would strongly recommend to give these a listen before you buy anything else. Ah :) I sound like a fanboy. I am rarely like this, but it was very good :) Online forums suggest that these need a very high current amplifier. So, that might bump up the cost further. But, my take is its worth it even if it stretches the budget a little.
As far as the rest, I think Quad is good if you are keen on music more than movies. They are not really that detailed in highs, sounding a bit smooth. I haven't watched too many movies but then if you are behind effects then this might not be the one. I was using it with a Rotel Receiver. You can probably watch in high volumes and still not feel fatigue after a movie. KEF is more for movies I felt. Quite good for those effects like gunshots etc. They were good but not too impressive at that price. B&W is somewhat in between these 2, then again not too impressive for the money. Personally I felt that while all the 3 were good, increasing the size of the speakers a little more can give a significantly better sound. Many of the bookshelves that I auditioned around 20k budget would do a lot better than these sats. Usher S520 can be the smallest of such bookshelfs that give very good sound. So, normally I would have recommended these, but now the Martin Logan for Movies and Music. If size is a problem then nothing can be done. The only reason I took the Quads were because I got them at 50% discount - demo pair and phased out series. Still, sold them and went back to stereo bookshelves.
Anyway, my recent audition of Motion has finally given a sound that I can consider the sub sat combo even for stereo 2.1 And they were competing very well with bookshelves under 50k or dare I say even more. Motion 4's cutoff very quick in the lows. So, it can't be just used as a bookshelf. Needs a sub. But used so, it can really give a tough competition.
Another option that I am checking is if actives can be used. I found that the Genelec 8000 series (a bit costly) or the 6000 series (which might be more in budget) can be used in such cases and then pair them with a pre/processor like Emotiva and it is also a league above the Quad, KEF and B&W. The only problem is that all 5 need to be connected to a power socket adding to the cable count.

I personally am not af an of floorstanders, and I think a good stand mounter monitor will definitely deliver the goods, if matched with a good sub. I hear that Deftech subs are very good, though I dont have first hand experience

First of all whats the size of the room where your friend wants to put up this SUB Sat system and what will be the amplification.
A Def Tech Pro Cinema system costs 86K and it has the capacity to fill a 300 Sq feet room with authority. Def Tech has a patented technology called Passive Radiators in their SUB SAT speakers as well as their Subs which results in getting good low as well as mids from their Sub Sat combo which is very rare. Also if you audition them blind folded then you won't believe that such a small SUB SAT combo could produce such great effects also it would fool you into believing that the full range speakers are being played.
To audition them in Bangalore contact either ARN Systems or Lakozy Audio Excellence.

First of all whats the size of the room where your friend wants to put up this SUB Sat system and what will be the amplification.
A Def Tech Pro Cinema system costs 86K and it has the capacity to fill a 300 Sq feet room with authority. Def Tech has a patented technology called Passive Radiators in their SUB SAT speakers as well as their Subs which results in getting good low as well as mids from their Sub Sat combo which is very rare. Also if you audition them blind folded then you won't believe that such a small SUB SAT combo could produce such great effects also it would fool you into believing that the full range speakers are being played.
To audition them in Bangalore contact either ARN Systems or Lakozy Audio Excellence.

Where is Lakozy audio in bangalore ?

Thanks a lot guys. Looks like it will be finally ML Vs Deftech. I will post the results as soon as I hear any of them.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back