Best receiver for Polk speakers? (My Onkyo burned up)

srinivas1015

I've used an Onkyo HT-RC270 with Polk speakers:
TSi 300 (Front, Sides, Rear)
Cs20 Center
DSW500 subwoofer

My Onkyo receiver emitted a burning smell while ons standby and after that, it's stopped transmitting audio. However, it's still passing through video.

I'm thinking of replacing it and have my eyes on the Denon x1300w. But the power supplied to each speaker is less than my current Onkyo. Will this be a problem?

My Onkyo + Polk combo sounds too bright/shrill and I would like to change this if possible. Does the Denon sound warmer or is the difference negligible?

And most importantly, what's probably the best price I can get for the Denon x1300w?

For the polks a Denon or a marantz suits well. However, do audition first. Since you have been using Onkyo and Polk combo, you might have gotten used to it.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3

Cs20 Center
DSW500 subwoofer

My Onkyo receiver emitted a burning smell while ons standby and after that, it's stopped transmitting audio. However, it's still passing through video.

I'm thinking of replacing it and have my eyes on the Denon x1300w. But the power supplied to each speaker is less than my current Onkyo. Will this be a problem?

My Onkyo + Polk combo sounds too bright/shrill and I would like to change this if possible. Does the Denon sound warmer or is the difference negligible?

And most importantly, what's probably the best price I can get for the Denon x1300w?
Denon +Polk Combo is very good for movies. Have a demo and decide.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Hi srinivas,

Look @ For Sale By Owner section or hifiads.com there is some good avrs available which will suit the speakers you have

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

My only question now is whether the power will be enough. My current Onkyo can supply around 100 watts per speaker while the Denon is rated at 80 watts. I ask because my Onkyo used to shut itself off during a few scenes such as the Bat-Wing's first appearance in TDKR.

The.Dark.Knight.Rises.2012.720p.BluRay.x264.YIFY%5B21-09-47%5D.JPG

Any other places in Chennai apart from ProFx?

Anything over 50w at 8ohms, 20-20k frequency range should be more than enough for the polks. Don't see the 1khz rating.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3

Denon or Yamaha should be your choice. I love Denons sound over Yamaha , the muds are better to my ears. Do audition before you buy. Pioneer is another option.

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

My only question now is whether the power will be enough. My current Onkyo can supply around 100 watts per speaker while the Denon is rated at 80 watts. I ask because my Onkyo used to shut itself off during a few scenes such as the Bat-Wing's first appearance in TDKR.

The.Dark.Knight.Rises.2012.720p.BluRay.x264.YIFY%5B21-09-47%5D.JPG

Any other places in Chennai apart from ProFx?

Denon can handle it ,the as per spec the speaker has 90db sensitivity and the power range 20 -150 watts which should not be a problem.

You can try decibels for demo of denon or check with Vipul Audio(but both of them were not dealing with polk I think).

Denon can handle it ,the as per spec the speaker has 90db sensitivity and the power range 20 -150 watts which should not be a problem.

You can try decibels for demo of denon or check with Vipul Audio(but both of them were not dealing with polk I think).

The Denon website says that the x1300 doesn't have Dolby ProLogic IIz. But what about ProLogic IIx?

The Denon website says that the x1300 doesn't have Dolby ProLogic IIz. But what about ProLogic IIx?
X1300 is having latest Dolby atmos and dts X decoders which is 3D sound (object based). Now the prologic IIz has been replaced with Dolby surround which upconverts the 2 channel/ PCM/Dolby digital 5.1 to 3d sound formats (pseudo type). Whereas the dts Neo x has been replaced with Neural X (which is similar to Dolby surround). Hope u got clarified.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Cs20 Center
DSW500 subwoofer

Why buy something new when the old can be repaired? I for one believe in not contributing to the carbon foot print unless really pushed. Didn't buy a car for the same reason for more than 8 years [emoji6]

Sent from my PLK-UL00 using Tapatalk

Why buy something new when the old can be repaired? I for one believe in not contributing to the carbon foot print unless really pushed. Didn't buy a car for the same reason for more than 8 years [emoji6]

Sent from my PLK-UL00 using Tapatalk
Glad to know that there's someone else in audiophile world, who's thinking about carbon footprints...
Transport /Sources (Bluray, ACDs Vinyl) - - > DAC / preamp - - > cables - - >Poweramp - - >Speakers (timber) - - >Subwoofers (+/- Step-down transformer, Power conditioner, UPS the list goes on.. ) the amount in carbon footprints is enormous for an average audiophile. Thankfully we're in small numbers amongst general population else it'd be disastrous. We need to discuss this more often on, what's the price we're paying for that perfect audio image we're mentally fixed upon.

@op Always Repair if possible, else you can't go wrong with Denon for Polks. Go for x33xx series or above if the budget permits, else x1200 is a good option.

Hi Srinivas,

I also agree with csricharan. Repairing your Onkyo amp is also a good option. However, if you are planning to get a new AV Receiver then I will suggest go for Yamaha as it is warmer than Denon. Recently I have Compared Denon 1200, 2200, Yamaha RXV-681, 581 and Onkyo TX-NR646. All these models supports DTS-X and Dolby ATMOS. I found denon 2200 brighter than all other model followed by Denon 1200. Onkyo 646 sounded best according to me but considering the price point of view I will suggest go for Yamaha RXV-681 which will cost you 51,500/- after 18% discount. Yamaha RX-V681 is balanced, i.e its high frequency is better than all the model and Low frequency slightly less than Onkyo 646. If your budget is slightly less then you can go for Yamaha RX-V581 which will cost you around 43,500/- after 18% discount. I demoed All these model with Polk Speakers as well as with Onkyo THX Speakers.

However I have not audition Denon 1300 or 2300. So can not comment.

But there is another model from Yamaha, i.e RX-V781. According to me it is the best mid range receiver. This is slightly powerful than 681 also it has 7.2 pre-out, which none of these models have. Not even in new Denon 1300 or in 2300. But this is not available in India, you can get it from Singapore, Malaysia, US or from Europe.

Again it is my personal taste. It may vary from person to person.

Thanks and Regards
Sujit

A couple of things:

1) Repairing my Onkyo is not at all an option because it's a U.S model and the service centers here are refusing its repair even though I'm willing to pay for it. The models made in the 2010-2014 timespan are defective by default and some of them have caught on fire. I don't want to take any risks and I'd rather buy a new one.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...ts-extending-warrranties-until-2018-a-70.html

2) If I'm buying a new one, I don't want to get one that's the same as the unit I'm replacing. It would feel like a waste of money. Since I'm anyway getting a new one, might as well upgrade.

3) It's for this reason that I'm considering the Denon x3300. More power would ensure the receiver will not shut off when playing challenging scenes and it also has Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 along with SubEQ. I don't need any of the other features such as Zone 2, etc. It'll be for playing only Blu-rays and UHD discs. No need for music.

4) The Denon website says the x3300 has a 'discrete power amplifier' and 'high grade audio components'. Aren't these just marketing buzzwords?

5) I can't go for Yamaha or Marantz because Audyssey is a must. One of the main reasons I'm considering the x3300 instead of the x1300 is because of Audyssey XT32. Those who've used it, how much of a difference does it make over the traditional Audyssey MultiEQ?

Have you considered the Marantz SR series? It also has XT32 and is much better than the 3300 according to me and some Marantz users....

Have you considered the Marantz SR series? It also has XT32 and is much better than the 3300 according to me and some Marantz users....

Well, I just looked into it now and I'm considering the SR6011 as well. Have you listened to both of them? In which areas would you say that the Marantz is better? And is it warmer than the Denon or brighter? Or just about the same?

Recently I have placed an order for marantz sr6011. Expecting it get it within a week or so.I have not heard it but expecting to be better than my 2.5 year old denon 2113.

Recently I have placed an order for marantz sr6011. Expecting it get it within a week or so.I have not heard it but expecting to be better than my 2.5 year old denon 2113.
Congrats on the purchase. What is the price at which you are getting SR6011?

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back