Best region-free blu-ray players?

k-pad

And are they worth it?

Hi all,
After over two years of this, I have come to the realisation that for my requirements, might as well invest in a blu-ray player and build a small library of films that I am bound to watch over again and again.

In short, I don't mind watching stuff over the air, or on DL files, but there are a certain number of movies that I keep going back to. All said, as of today, they will be well under a 100 titles, all languages included.

So, was wondering what is a good way to go about it with my current set up, which is an AVR + 5.1.4 + TV.

As @Donivlapog keeps saying, best way is to build a BR library, and I am veering towards it...

All suggestions most welcome.
Regards

I don't believe there are any on sale. Not without extensive modification for sure.
It might be cheaper to buy a couple of blu ray players from the two most popular regions you are likely to buy discs. They do not take up much space and you should have plenty of inputs on your AVR.
Building a blu ray library is not for everyone. I'd head down this road only if you have the room to accommodate so many discs. I think its easier to have the hardware than shelf discs.
Good luck.

I don't believe there are any on sale. Not without extensive modification for sure.
Actually there are quite a few on sale on Amazon.
It’s not hard to maintain a library of 100-200 reference BR discs. I’ve a few myself.
SQ is always inevitably better , less compressed compared to the best from streaming platforms.

Actually there are quite a few on sale on Amazon.
From no-name brands or even the likes of Sony, Panasonic, etc? Curious to know if they actually work.
Its a no brainer, if you are after the absolute best for picture and sound.
Personally; I find physical media a pain in terms of storage. Its not for everyone.

Yes , Here’s one
The title is misleading. Its a UBP-X700. I have this UHD player. It is not region free.
Legally, none of the mainstream brands will sell a region free disc spinner. Its a different matter if some third party has modified it and then selling it.

The title is misleading. Its a UBP-X700. I have this UHD player. It is not region free.
Legally, none of the mainstream brands will sell a region free disc spinner. Its a different matter if some third party has modified it and then selling it.
Wow. In that case someone should take it up with Amazon for false advertisement.

Personally, using a Song BR player (don’t remember which model ) for quite a few years and haven’t faced any issue with region locking . Most of my discs were bought from UK , rest all from India.

Wow. In that case someone should take it up with Amazon for false advertisement.
A mistitled blu ray player is nothing. All those fake review are a bigger problem.

If your blu ray player indicates A,B and C behind, then it is a region free player.
You have disc titles that are not region encoded. If they have the same A,B,C indicated behind, it will play on any player.

It’s not hard to maintain a library of 100-200 reference BR discs. I’ve a few myself.
SQ is always inevitably better , less compressed compared to the best from streaming platforms.
Yes, the SQ is one of the main reasons I am looking at this option for.
Its a no brainer, if you are after the absolute best for picture and sound.
Absolutely, have been a tad disappointed with most streaming and DL content.
It might be cheaper to buy a couple of blu ray players from the two most popular regions you are likely to buy discs. They do not take up much space and you should have plenty of inputs on your AVR.
That sucks. But will keep this option open...
Thank you

After over two years of this, I have come to the realisation that for my requirements, might as well invest in a blu-ray player and build a small library of films that I am bound to watch over again and again.
Good for you, @k-pad !
If you’re a movie buff, there’s nothing quite like having your own collection of films, preferably viewed via a projector.
If you’re into world cinema, I’d also recommend Criterion titles for their excellent special features.
As for region free players, I solved the problem by buying two: a Region A Sony and a Region B Toshiba. These are pretty inexpensive models and they get the job done. You don’t need Region C (India) as there are no exclusive Region C discs.
Having said that, both players are showing their age and I may be on the lookout for a replacement soon. Do keep us posted on your progress, and happy hunting!

One of the questions answered says it is region free. But Sandeepmohan said it may be misleading.
As to my library with 187 titles and counting, i have just four discs that cannot be played by my Sony BR player BDP-S1500. Those four have only one title that i miss T2JD from Terminator film pack. T1,3,4,5 works.

Perhaps. You can send me a list of your “forever” titles and I can look it up on iTunes to see how many are available.
My top 200 films (not a fixed list always ) are neither on Apple TV , Netflix , Hotstar Premium.
For a serious cinephile not a single one of the conventional streaming platforms till date have any good offering. :)

Mubi has few of these (10%) but for rest I rely on my private tracker of which I’m an invited member , or on Criterion, Arrow , BFI titles that I buy time to time.

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back