Best seats in a movie theatre

abracher9

Which are the best seats in a movie theatre from a holistic audio video perspective?
I am considering this question in light of the fact that the most expensive seats are farthest from the screen.

Which are the best seats in a movie theatre from a holistic audio video perspective?
I am considering this question in light of the fact that the most expensive seats are farthest from the screen.
I don't know about the most expensive seats but I'd always get them at the centre in the middle row or closest to it.

Interesting question. Never thought about this really. I'm usually dragged to the movies, and designated as the popcorn bucket holder. I know when the movie's done when I'm woken up and told that it's time to go.

I don't think there is sweet spot like in stereo systems. Since most theaters are dolby atmos based, the sound is consistent wherever we sit.
This object based sound of dolby atmos was designed for that purpose only.

I always choose one or two row away from the back wall and definitely in the middle. The nest best option is somewhere around the middle of the theater preferably closer to the back wall.

My guess would be, bass would least at the center.
So a little on either side.
Length wise, again a little behind the center.

In a good theater there is significant effort to have the sound evenly spread. It's slightly easier for bass as they multiple subs but more difficult for surround sound which are high frequency

Leave the front third alone (auditory overload of the screen channel speakers), leave the rear third alone (same, but with rear speakers).
In what is left, the best seats are the rows just after the front third.

For ex, if the audi has 10 rows, the centre seats of Row 4 are the best in my experience. They also happen to be the best visually too.
Second best in the above example would be Row 7.

I don't know about the most expensive seats but I'd always get them at the centre in the middle row or closest to it.
Same here. The center seat provides sound from all directions in equal proportions and dialogues are like straight throw to your face ! :)
I remember sitting in a corner seat once, didn't like tweeter like sound from speaker over my head .

Contrary to popular preference, I prefer seats closer to the screen and to the center of the row.

Middle seat of the 5th to 10th row from the front gives me holistic experience.

Screens are smaller today (multiplex effect) and majority speakers are placed behind the screen. So a closer to screen gives a panoramic view and louder (not better) sound. These seats also fill towards the last and hence available easily.

If you were to go to a movie where front rows are free, try switching to one of the front rows after interval, to get what I mean.

Atmos, 7.1 and all are ok, but the front seats always gives louder and more impactful sound in my experience. Pvr, inox etc inclusive..

I remember watching a movie last month. I was at the middle of 'J' row. Always I choose J or K. Or usually at around 75% deep from the screen. That's my sweet spot. I don't prefer to sit anywhere else.

I don't want to digress. But I find most theatres these days are ear piercingly loud and bright. Especially the Atmos enabled theatres. I find it same for Multiplex and new single screen theatres.

During loud sequences, I was covering my ears. I don't want premature deafness. Does it have to do with speaker choice, (the usual suspects (EV, Klipsch, JBL)) or amplification or is it just the "Dolby" sound?

The best experience I ever had in a theatre used QSC speakers all around. It was pure bliss.

In traditional Theaters
1659257531753.png
In Imax formats (one in bangalore for reference).
and seen a couple of Imax have different Speaker placements(front|rear presence|heights), unlike Atmos. So the,Center of the Auditorium felt good.
I just avoid the top 10 rows near the Projector.

1659257720296.png
and, I don't know what format or class are these - GOLD and Super Golds.....
unless these are restaurant where Good food and wine are served- can be totaly ignored for movies.
our traditional home viewing on a plastic chair with Mono sounds will be considerably worth your time.
1659257784606.png

hmmm...In my personal opinion.

From solely sound perspective, depends what is your priority - Front sound stage or Surround feel.

If you want a nice wide front stage with separation meaning front left, center and right sounds clearly identifiable, then front 1/3rd from screen and center of row for center channel in line for dialogue is the sweet spot

if surround experience is your preference then go to back 1/3rd from back of of the hall and center . Theatres have either a 5.1 configuration or 7.1 . So at this point You are equidistant from RL RR (Back wall array) and SL SR (Side wall array) channels. If you close your eyes u shd be able to identify in some moments what is coming from each of the 4 channels. I personally dont care for atmos so those speakers on ceiling roof do not make any sense to me

Solely from screen perspective we go to theatres for big screen experience and hence It should have one rule only - You should be close enough to feel the bigness of the screen but should not be so close that it makes you turn your head to watch events happening at left to right end. Another way of looking at same thing is the geometry of the rectangle aspect. You should be far enough to maintain a clear 90 degree angle at all corners of the screen but not so far that screen becomes tinier than your TV feel at home distance. In other words we should not be so close that rectangle looks tilted to become a trapezium.

All in all its very difficult to find a theatre auditorium that satisfies all priorities and preferences at same time. But hope this helps

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back