Best speakers for entry level Amplifier

richcout

Hello there,
I have a Denon AVR-X520BT with Paradigm CT100. Honestly, I am happy to have bought them after checking several brands with no complaints whatsoever. My question is, if I need to upgrade my Front Speakers to Floor Standing or even Monitor/Bookshelf Speakers to have better sound and quality, would it be possible with my current AVR (entry level). If yes, what brands will go best with them with a budget from 25K to 100K (preferred brands are Paradigm, Wharfedale, Klipsch, KEF, Quad, Dali, etc.). Alternatively, how much will a fit AVR cost to rock good Floor Standing Speakers?
Appreciate your kind advice.

Last edited:
Hello there,
I have a Denon AVR-X520BT with Paradigm CT100. Honestly, I am happy to have bought them after checking several brands with no complaints whatsoever. My question is, if I need to upgrade my Front Speakers to Floor Standing or even Monitor/Bookshelf Speakers to have better sound and quality, would it be possible with my current AVR (entry level). If yes, what brands will go best with them with a budget from 25K to 100K (preferred brands are Paradigm, Wharfedale, Klipsch, KEF, Quad, Dali, etc.). Alternatively, how much will a fit AVR cost to rock good Floor Standing Speakers?

If you plan to spend a bracket of 25 - 100k (a very wide bracket actually) on speakers alone. I would then recommend to split that budget to get both a fit AVR and a good pair of front speakers. If you do it right, you should be able to get either a good used Mid range AVR and then put the rest of the money on a pair of good speakers in the said brands you mentioned or the vice versa. The choice of Floor standing speakers would depend on the room size and preference but in most cases you can get away with high quality stand mounters and then later add a good Sub.

If you plan to spend a bracket of 25 - 100k (a very wide bracket actually) on speakers alone. I would then recommend to split that budget to get both a fit AVR and a good pair of front speakers. If you do it right, you should be able to get either a good used Mid range AVR and then put the rest of the money on a pair of good speakers in the said brands you mentioned or the vice versa. The choice of Floor standing speakers would depend on the room size and preference but in most cases you can get away with high quality stand mounters and then later add a good Sub.

Many thanks for your quick reply.

My question by itself is a very reluctant one as both the AVR & Paradigm CT 100 are just under a year old. I dont intend to drop off any of them completely (at least not this early) and would prefer to upgrade only the Fronts using the current AVR. I feel this will be a fair approach and hence looking for Bookshelf or Floor Speakers (prefer them for their quality) unless it is suggested differently. I wish to reiterate that I am actually very happy both with movies (30% usage) and music (70% usage) with my current system but I feel a somewhat power hungry (at times) which is why I have thrown a wide budget. If not Towers, which Bookshelf would you suggest to go with the AVR? Your advice to split the budget is practical which I may consider in future. Thanks again.

Hello there,

Hi

If you want to continue using the CT100s then you need to go for a 7.1 AVR.....this way you can add Bookshelf or FloorStanders as B speakers....

Since you already use a Denon....might be worthwhile to check Yamaha or Marantz (NR series).

The Marantz NR series can drive floorstanders...example Dali Z7...our FM in Bengaluru used the same with his NR1606....worked like a charm.

https://www.hifimart.com/av-receiver/marantz-nr1608-av-receiver.html

Yamaha a lot of dealers sell....especially Profx....

Alternatively if you are not too concerned with features and is open to pre owned...there is a Marantz on sale on OLX...which you can get cheaper and keep the rest of the budget for high sensitivity floorstanders......the choice is yours.....

All the best!

If AVR is going to be a constant, you can consider buying Lyrita Audio's Floor Standing Bookshelves (60K I think) as they have higher sensitivity and would not be a strain on your AVR. You can check the post by Virenji in this forum as he is driving them with tube amps. Even if you intend to upgrade AVR, , you consider going for Marantz NR1608 (~60K) which should bring you to latest technology AVR and adequate power for these speakers.

Many thanks for your quick reply.

My question by itself is a very reluctant one as both the AVR & Paradigm CT 100 are just under a year old. I dont intend to drop off any of them completely (at least not this early) and would prefer to upgrade only the Fronts using the current AVR. I feel this will be a fair approach and hence looking for Bookshelf or Floor Speakers (prefer them for their quality) unless it is suggested differently. I wish to reiterate that I am actually very happy both with movies (30% usage) and music (70% usage) with my current system but I feel a somewhat power hungry (at times) which is why I have thrown a wide budget. If not Towers, which Bookshelf would you suggest to go with the AVR? Your advice to split the budget is practical which I may consider in future. Thanks again.

Ah I see your intention. In that case, perhaps a high quality stand mounters should help. I saw someone was selling a Dynaudio Audience here - would be nice. Our forum is also full of praises for the Zensor BS from Dali - worth checking out.

If you are into floor standers, do check out the Q Acoustics 3050 - fantastic speakers for the money and I saw they are on sale on the htstore site.

wait for the elac debut b6 version 2. As per experts its much more impressive than the first version.

I am assuming you are telling me I can run these with my current AVR! What could possibly be the price of this one and also the previous model?

Hi

If you want to continue using the CT100s then you need to go for a 7.1 AVR.....this way you can add Bookshelf or FloorStanders as B speakers....

Since you already use a Denon....might be worthwhile to check Yamaha or Marantz (NR series).

The Marantz NR series can drive floorstanders...example Dali Z7...our FM in Bengaluru used the same with his NR1606....worked like a charm.

https://www.hifimart.com/av-receiver/marantz-nr1608-av-receiver.html

Yamaha a lot of dealers sell....especially Profx....

Alternatively if you are not too concerned with features and is open to pre owned...there is a Marantz on sale on OLX...which you can get cheaper and keep the rest of the budget for high sensitivity floorstanders......the choice is yours.....

All the best!
I am not intending to upgrade to 7.1 but continue using 5.1. With the current AVR, which speakers (Bookshelf or Towers) will perform well? As
hifitoaster suggested here, ELAC appears to be a good option and also easy on my wallet. Thanks,

If AVR is going to be a constant, you can consider buying Lyrita Audio's Floor Standing Bookshelves (60K I think) as they have higher sensitivity and would not be a strain on your AVR. You can check the post by Virenji in this forum as he is driving them with tube amps. Even if you intend to upgrade AVR, , you consider going for Marantz NR1608 (~60K) which should bring you to latest technology AVR and adequate power for these speakers.
Thanks, any idea where I can audition these in Mumbai?

I am assuming you are telling me I can run these with my current AVR! What could possibly be the price of this one and also the previous model?
The older ones were around 32 k in india, this must be more expensive. but still under 40k. I just noticed that you already have a home theatre package speakers and you are trying to upgrade fronts to a different speaker. If that is the case, that is something I would never recommend. To an AVR always have the same speakers around. even if your fronts are connected via a preout to another power amp to bigger speaker, the seemlessness will be highly disturbed and it literally kills the fun of movies. I am assuming CT100 is a package here.

I am not intending to upgrade to 7.1 but continue using 5.1. With the current AVR, which speakers (Bookshelf or Towers) will perform well? As
hifitoaster suggested here, ELAC appears to be a good option and also easy on my wallet. Thanks,

The idea to get a 7.1 AVR is to have the option of having A and B speakers.....the setup will be CT100 as 5.1 and additionally as B speakers (Front only) you can use the tower speakers....

The older ones were around 32 k in india, this must be more expensive. but still under 40k. I just noticed that you already have a home theatre package speakers and you are trying to upgrade fronts to a different speaker. If that is the case, that is something I would never recommend. To an AVR always have the same speakers around. even if your fronts are connected via a preout to another power amp to bigger speaker, the seemlessness will be highly disturbed and it literally kills the fun of movies. I am assuming CT100 is a package here.

Hello there,

Have you connected your Denon AVR-X520BT with any floorstanders.? If not, then you should try it .you could visit the Dealer from whom you bought Paradigm CT 100.Pl try out the monitor series from Paradigm .. I do not recommend mixing speakers in a HT setup..

Have you connected your Denon AVR-X520BT with any floorstanders.? If not, then you should try it .you could visit the Dealer from whom you bought Paradigm CT 100.Pl try out the monitor series from Paradigm .. I do not recommend mixing speakers in a HT setup..
Nope. I just have the Paradigm CT 100 (HT) connected to the AVR. I do agree to your suggestion not messing up the current HT setup. Will visit the Paradigm dealer and ask them for their advice which Monitor series will go best with them. Thanks

Noted. CT 100 is a great HT package and if the new Fronts are going to mess things up then its the last thing I want. Thanks for your advice.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back