Best Speakers for Yamaha AS 500 stereo Amp

For amplifier like Yamaha try using speakers which are on the warmer side. Speakers like wharfedale, Jamo can tame the brightness of the Yamaha to some extent. But if you are looking for a bright sound then you can choose MA, Klipsch , JBL etc.,

For amplifier like Yamaha try using speakers which are on the warmer side. Speakers like wharfedale, Jamo can tame the brightness of the Yamaha to some extent. But if you are looking for a bright sound then you can choose MA, Klipsch , JBL etc.,

which Would be warmer Marantz 6003 SR with Monitor Audio Bx 2/ Bx 5 versus yamaha AS 500 + wharfedale diamond 9.5 ?

which Would be warmer Marantz 6003 SR with Monitor Audio Bx 2/ Bx 5 versus yamaha AS 500 + wharfedale diamond 9.5 ?

Susheel , First decide what you want to buy. A stereo or a HT. SR 6003 is a DTS Receiver and the Yamaha A-S500 is a Integrated amplifier. For Pure music choose Integrated amplifier and if you are looking for HT then look for Receiver. There are lot of topic discussed in HFV reg the stereo and HT system, kindly browse through those topics and you will get lot of information. Still you have a doubt then there are 3000+ members to help you :)

regards

Hi! My actual amp pre & power are Quad 34 & 306 (1999), very musical and smooth, but lacking some input and perhaps in bass punch, so I think to change, budget 500 Eur (430) - I am afraid that Nad C326 has too dry high freq. and Yamaha A-S500 too present middle freq or annoying high freq. I have only listen to Yamaha A-S700 with 2-way floor st. Proac and B&W 685, it seemed articulated in low and not so bright and cold in middle-high - never seen the A-S500 -
I know the big risk of this change, from Quad to an int amp, mostly due for the difficult to make comparation in the only two shops left here in Florence, IT...

In the eighties was very simple turnover the separate hifi, as I tried and used (or owned) many amps: Akai,Technics, Kenwood, Nad, Denon, Marantz, Accuphase and finnally Quad for the last 12 Years! but now is the desert...
Anyway I hope for some good advice from this very competent Forum and I'm waiting for any suggestion and comparison referred to these 2 amps: what's the best with my speakers (B&W 1800, 2 way reflex - from year 1990 )- why someone says that AS 500 is better than AS700? thanks!

Susheel , First decide what you want to buy. A stereo or a HT. SR 6003 is a DTS Receiver and the Yamaha A-S500 is a Integrated amplifier. For Pure music choose Integrated amplifier and if you are looking for HT then look for Receiver. There are lot of topic discussed in HFV reg the stereo and HT system, kindly browse through those topics and you will get lot of information. Still you have a doubt then there are 3000+ members to help you :)

regards

But no one of them is replying...! :D

regards

I beg to differ here. There are many on this forum who recommend stereo amplifier to Receivers for music listening. I have a Marantz SR 5200 receiver. I used a Sanyo CD player and connected it thru Optical to the receiver with Wharfedale diamond 9.2 speakers. The level of detail is superb than the one that my younger brother has (Nad C326 stereo Amp + Nad C 521 CD Player + Mission M35i). It beats the stereo amplifier as far as details are concerned. But for the muscle it doesn't match. I am not very sure if the D/A converter makes the difference. But the Marantz setup that i have is very musical that i haven't heard in any other receivers so far.

P S: I am not inviting an war between stereo amp Vs HT receiver. Juz my Opinion. This is what i witnessed.

I beg to differ here. There are many on this forum who recommend stereo amplifier to Receivers for music listening. I have a Marantz SR 5200 receiver. I used a Sanyo CD player and connected it thru Optical to the receiver with Wharfedale diamond 9.2 speakers. The level of detail is superb than the one that my younger brother has (Nad C326 stereo Amp + Nad C 521 CD Player + Mission M35i). It beats the stereo amplifier as far as details are concerned. But for the muscle it doesn't match. I am not very sure if the D/A converter makes the difference. But the Marantz setup that i have is very musical that i haven't heard in any other receivers so far.

P S: I am not inviting an war between stereo amp Vs HT receiver. Juz my Opinion. This is what i witnessed.

Dear Elango, Ask your brother to check the connections and also check the placement of speakers. I strongly believe that the NAD+ Mission setup will anyday be better then an Receiver+ sanyo CDP+Wharfedale. But at end of the day Music is a Personal taste and to each his own.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Elango, Ask your brother to check the connections and also check the placement of speakers. I strongly believe that the NAD+ Mission setup will anyday be better then an Receiver+ sanyo CDP+Wharfedale. But at end of the day Music is a Personal taste and to each his own.:)

Very true. It was actually me who recommended the setup to my brother after reading thru many posts & taking suggestions from the forum members. He had a gud budget so he bought all of them new. its almost a year old now.

I didn't have that much budget for a amplifier. so went for an used one. Luckily landed up with Marantz SR 5200. and again went for WD 9.2 as i didn't have a huge budget.

BTW both of us don't use any branded cables/inter connectors. We use good quality 14 Gauge wire and cheap inter connectors.

I INTEND TO NBUY A YAMAHA AS500 INTEG AMP ALONG WITH YAMAHA NS 8390 FLOOR STANDING SPEAKERS.THE TECH SPECS FOR THESPEAKER ARE AS FOLLOWS FREQ.RESP.-35HZ-27KHZ ,MIN INPUT POWER-70W,MAX INPUT POWER,SENSITIVITY 89dB,IMPEDANCE 8OHMS.THE AMP SPECS ARE MIN RMS OUTPUT POWER(8 OHMS,20HZ-20KHZ) 85W+85W,MAX POWER(4 OHMS,1 KHZ,0.7% THD) 120W+120W, FREQ. RESPONCE 10HZ-100KHZ) ALTERNATIVELY CAN I SELECT BOSE ACOUSTIMASS 5 SERIES -3 SPEAKERS WHOSE SPECS ARERMS RATING-10 TO 200 WATTS,IMPEDANCE--4-8 OHMS.KINDLY ADVICE

Hi! My actual amp pre & power are Quad 34 & 306 (1999), very musical and smooth, but lacking some input and perhaps in bass punch, so I think to change, budget 500 Eur (430) - I am afraid that Nad C326 has too dry high freq. and Yamaha A-S500 too present middle freq or annoying high freq. I have only listen to Yamaha A-S700 with 2-way floor st. Proac and B&W 685, it seemed articulated in low and not so bright and cold in middle-high - never seen the A-S500 -
I know the big risk of this change, from Quad to an int amp, mostly due for the difficult to make comparation in the only two shops left here in Florence, IT...

In the eighties was very simple turnover the separate hifi, as I tried and used (or owned) many amps: Akai,Technics, Kenwood, Nad, Denon, Marantz, Accuphase and finnally Quad for the last 12 Years! but now is the desert...
Anyway I hope for some good advice from this very competent Forum and I'm waiting for any suggestion and comparison referred to these 2 amps: what's the best with my speakers (B&W 1800, 2 way reflex - from year 1990 )- why someone says that AS 500 is better than AS700? thanks!

Hi GCE,

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll have a very interesting time here.
Changing from a Quad pre power combination to a Yamaha integrated may lead to a drop in sound quality, particularly in the middle frequencies. Of course you may get a louder though not necessarily tightly controlled bass.

The Yamaha AS500 had won the Best Stereo Amplifier (Budget) Award from What Hi Fi magazine in 2010. It was also selected for a Group Buy offer on this forum recently (which I missed otherwise I might have gone in for it). It also has a moving magnet phono input in case you listen to vinyl.

All in all, its a well regarded imtegrated amplifier and you won't go wrong if you buy it.

Regards and happy listening!

Thanks for your reply.I hope I will not have made a wrong decision going for the Yamaha NS 8390 floorstanding speakers along with the Yamaha AS 500 AMP.
Regards,
Rammohan.

I have the A-S500 and I use them with Aviano 2 BS speakers more than enough for a large room as well.

I bought Aviano's of Wharfedale due to clarity and neutral pairing it offered with Yamaha.

Before buying Yamaha speakers please do audition other speakers, you will understand the difference.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back