Best tabla recordings you have heard...

essrand

I have already found that tabla sounds on most records including those of Zakir Hussein quite wanting. That is until I came across an LP of Ravi Shankar Live in San Francisco. And for the first time I heard tabla like how tabla sounds. I just close my eyes and listen to the tabla rhythms and it just floats my boat.

Does anyone have any other suggestions of recordings in which the tabla sounds exceptional (might not necessarily be a percussion album).

I’m a vinyl person myself, but recently came across a CD of Shreya Ghoshal’s Humnasheen. Extremely well recorded album with great tabla sound.For digital playback it’s currently my reference recording, forget Diana Krall or Norah or Lang Lang… :)

I have again heard the Shakthi albums (on Quboz not CD), it's good but not on the level of what I am hearing in the LP I mention.
Perhaps something to do with vinyl magic?

I will try to find the Humnasheen album in Quboz and check it out.

I remember the track bell" alla from Shakti Saturday night in Bombay. It has a great Zakir Hussain tabla solo that sounds fantastic.
It's great. I have heard this in the past, but am not hearing the tabla as well as I think I should IMO.

You can check out the Gazal album "Hazir" by Hariharan, with great accompaniment by Ustad Zakir Hussain on tabla.
Will check it out.

1656351307170.pngJust saw this thread. The finest tabla album I have heard.

Last edited:
I have already found that tabla sounds on most records including those of Zakir Hussein quite wanting. That is until I came across an LP of Ravi Shankar Live in San Francisco. And for the first time I heard tabla like how tabla sounds. I just close my eyes and listen to the tabla rhythms and it just floats my boat.

Does anyone have any other suggestions of recordings in which the tabla sounds exceptional (might not necessarily be a percussion album).
Listen Colors by Kunnakkudi, Zakir Hussain and Sivamani...You must try the initial prints as the newer one pressing is not good.

There are a few songs I like especially for the tabla recordings in the them - top of my head right now:

Live version, nice tabla music sprinkled all through the rendering..

I know the song itself is great but I especially dig it for all the tabla 'drops' as the song flows..

There is this album from Bickram Ghosh : needless to say it's all about good tabla tracks - but this is more of a fusion kind of music. I like the title track the most. Personally I can't enjoy this album for a relaxed/casual listening.

Humnasheen not found on QOBUZ, Tidal, Apple Music, Spotify! 😟

Pl share if anyone could find.
It was on Spotify - but looks like they've taken it down now!

images.jpegI recently found this 16cds collection in mint condition. All the cds are new and never used. The tabla recordings of zakir Hussain sounds so real to me and my dad though.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back