Best value for money flat panel TV

swageo

I am looking for a decent flat panel TV, which does a good job as tv and friendly with pocket too. All the discussion are on latest models, and most of them are way too expensive. I prefer 40" or higher and not particular of having 3D feature.

In another thread, I am talking about 50ST50 and my inclination towards it.. Don't get confused. I am half-heartedly going towards it :sad:

Any suggestions ?

42" plasma - X series from Panasonic or XT series if you want 3D. Disadvantage is HD ready, but does not impact TV / Movie viewing

If not plasma check out the other thread on Sharp LCD's, Toshiba 40" LCD and LED models are priced much lower than similar models from other top brands. Great VFM + 3 year warranty.

whats the price for that? i would recommend Philips 42'' LCD TV 42PFL5506(40k on online shops)

My Cousin has the same 5000 series 42inch but its not FULLHD like the one i suggested above. Its a normal HD TV and I bought and brought for him from UK. The Picture is quality is excellent . I would recommend the above model as its availalbe for around 40k from online shops...cheers

also look LG Plasma TV 42PA4520(37k on infibeam),LG Plasma TV 42PA4500(38k)

Last edited:
I am not able to locate a dealer in bangalore who stocks sharp.. As it is not a popular model, I don't see any reviews and hence can't decide on a model too.

Panasonic xt50 seems to be a good one. But concerned about reflection it has.

Not sure about philips. I have a friend who is working with philips video. Let me ask him some info about it.

I am using sony 40bx....its the best in cheapest sony full hd model.....but latest toshiba full hd lcds are really cheap.......best is check them which pq is good to u.
about durability dont worry..all electronic model comes with luck..
about plasma pana semi hd 42 inch is nearly 36k.....chepaest in 40 inch band....
dont worry about being semi hd....its unnoticable at 6 ft dist....great value for money...
full hd plasma frm pana is also around 42k.....best option in my opinion.dont buy lg plasma....they dont have a strong r and d in plsama like pana do have.......also omit phillips option....
most importantly if you will watch regularly sd channels..pls dont waste ur money on 40 incher..buy a semi hd 32 inch...with that money u can buy some other stuff in hiome thetre..

Last edited:
Agree with prosenjit. If you are watching a lot of SD channels whether on cable or DTH, you will not like the image quality of those channels at ~6-8 ft viewing distance.

A 32" HD Ready LCD / LED or a 42" HD Ready plasma will suit such viewing. Even if you watch HD channels, they are only 720p or 1080i so not really full HD again.

I am not able to locate a dealer in bangalore who stocks sharp.. As it is not a popular model, I don't see any reviews and hence can't decide on a model too.

Panasonic xt50 seems to be a good one. But concerned about reflection it has.

Not sure about philips. I have a friend who is working with philips video. Let me ask him some info about it.

I live in west Bangalore..feel free to drop in on a weekend to check out the TV yourself in actual home conditions.

Go to any Pai electronics outlet. They stock and sell Sharp and Toshiba.

with due apologies for other brands - please choose a model that sells well because that would translate to better customer support. Stick to the big four - samsung, LG, Sony, Panny.

I dont think Sony sells cheapest of anything - for 8 feet and above ..50XT50 at 50K is good and presents the best VFM. Although Nishab has been experiencing problems with his TV.

Is UT50 dull than XT50 ?

Also, 720p XT50 kills the pleasure watching 1080i (DTH) ?

I haven't stuck on a deal yet on XT50.. UT50 is @ 72K. Will try to bring it down to 70K (with HT).

As per Bangalore sales guys, it should be cheaper in chennai and taxes are less.. But I haven't see any such remarks in this thread..

Is UT50 dull than XT50 ?

Also, 720p XT50 kills the pleasure watching 1080i (DTH) ?

I haven't stuck on a deal yet on XT50.. UT50 is @ 72K. Will try to bring it down to 70K (with HT).

As per Bangalore sales guys, it should be cheaper in chennai and taxes are less.. But I haven't see any such remarks in this thread..

No. 720p will not affect your pleasure in anyway. I use a 2 year old 42x20d at home with Airtel HD. 1080i adds no value and i keep the set top box set at 720p.

42UT50 is @72k? The Samsung 51e550 is ~77k in blr!

Last edited:
No. 720p will not affect your pleasure in anyway. I use a 2 year old 42x20d at home with Airtel HD. 1080i adds no value and i keep the set top box set at 720p.

42UT50 is @72k? The Samsung 51e550 is ~77k in blr!

You mean to say 1080i add no value (then whats the point of HD DTH) or 1080i will work the same way in 720p and 1080p ?.

50UT50 @ 72k. As I am in no hurry, will do hard bargain..

You mean to say 1080i add no value (then whats the point of HD DTH) or 1080i will work the same way in 720p and 1080p ?.

50UT50 @ 72k. As I am in no hurry, will do hard bargain..

On my 720p screen there was absolutely no perceivable improvement in picture quality by using 1080i.

@50UT50 price - 72k is a great price! Which dealer?

Is UT50 dull than XT50 ?

What made you think so, there is no additional filter etc on UT50 that make it dull than XT50. Here are the key differences:

1. Full HD (1920x1080) against HD
2. 2500 Hz vs 600 Hz
3. Fast switching phosphor
4. Full HD Plasma display panel vs HD panel
5. 4,000,000:1 contrast vs 3,500,000:1

And ofcourse HT offer is there on 50UT50 as well (not there on 50XT50).

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back