Better way to connect a subwoofer for stereo through AVR and stereo amp

balajeem

Hi All,

I know Mr. Google will answer this immediately - however I want to know few finer aspects out of FM's experience, hence posting it here :

Two connection set possible for me :

1. Denon AVR
2. Stereo amp

NOTE: In both AVR and stereo amp, I connect only bookshelf speakers.

With Denon AVR :
----------------------

Connection : 1
----------------------

1. I take the subwoofer output given in Denon, connect the single subwoofer cable to mono in in the subwoofer.
2. When I listen songs in stereo mode, I don't get output from sub which is expected as it plays in stereo mode.

Question is : if I were to get output in sub, I would have to play in 5.1 mode - Is that how I can get subwoofer working with AVR ?

Connection 2 :
----------------

Taking lineout from Denon and feeding it to sub - if I do this all frequencies goes to sub, if I set the sub high cut switch to say 80 or 100 Hz ,anything beyond that would not be processed by sub.

In this mode, I could see that synchronization is not there between AVR and sub.

Am I doing anything wrong here ? Play mode is stereo in AVR

Connection 3 :
-------------------
Inline with speakers :

connecting the speakers inline with sub - I believe this is similar to taking lineout and feeding to sub, except that in this case sub would take the low frequencies while speakers iwll get anything above the cut-off

would this result in proper syncrhonization ?
play mode is stereo with AVR

With Stereo Amp :
-------------------

connection 1 :
------------------

Taking preout and feeding to sub - similar to connection 2 - would this cause out of sync issue ? or how to make it work seamlessly - I shouldn't get a feel that the bass comes out sub.

connection 2 :
-----------------

taking speaker (high ) level out from stereo amp and feeding to sub i.e operating stereo amp in "A+B" speaker mode. SW is like another speaker pair to stereo amp.

Would this cause out of sync issue or so ? or what could be the gap that I am seeing - is it that finetuning the sub is enough ?

Please let me know which is better way in AVR and in stereo and how to fine tune so that the sound gels with speakers and not appears as though sound comes from sub

Source : Via blutooth the music in stereo amp, via sony bluray player connected to AVR - audio cds or via blutooth using avr

I will only answer about AVR (option 1) as don't use stereo amp.

You have to connect subwoofer out in AVR to LFE in in subwoofer by subwoofer cable. Then run setup on AVR. Either run audyssey or do it manually. Follow all instructions in AVR and subwoofer manual and it will be done (even in 2.1 mode). You subwoofer is either set to NOT USE in AVR or there is some crossover problem. That's why you are not getting the sound.

Hi,

thank so much , let me clarify few things here :

(sorry I missed to inform )

1. Sound comes from sub- no issues at all
2. In stereo mode, if I play in AVR, should it come at all is my question - thought it shouldn't as only 2 channel signel is fed to AVR that relays to pairs of speakers
3. In AVR - sub option is set to YES, crossover of 90Hz., speakers set to SMALL
4. Test tone is ok in sub.
5. In both LFE and LFE+Main mode, playing in 5.1 sub works ok.

If you play in stereo mode in AVR, would it give LFE to Sub is my question ?
thought it may not ..

Hi

If a sub is set with the AVR, it has to output the lower frequencies which are not delivered by the Front speakers.....during audyssey setup if you have selected you have a sub, it will select all speakers as small and send bass signals to the sub.....

LFE+ Main will ensure that bass signals are also sent to the front speakers....only till the specified crossover cut frequency....

For stereo...if the amp has no subwoofer out or PRE OUT then you need to make the high and low level connections....refer to the manual of the sub....you may also require to adjust the cutoff frequency...

Please let me know which is better way in AVR and in stereo and how to fine tune so that the sound gels with speakers and not appears as though sound comes from sub

Having tried a sub with both stereo amp & AVR, Integrating sub with AVR is better with internal crossover..

Connecting a sub with a stereo amp thru pre-out may not yield best results..You will need to rely on physical subwoofer crossover.. Without knowing (lowest response) how much your mains are producing, you just can't keep a rough crossover on the subwoofer..

Taking high level out from stereo amp also does the same as above..

Best is to use internal crossover in your AVR..Set LFE only under bass management..LFE + Mains will duplicate bass on your mains.

If you play in stereo mode in AVR, would it give LFE to Sub is my question ? thought it may not ..

LFE is (.1) is multi-channel.. There is no LFE in stereo..When you play stereo on your AVR with a crossover engaged, bass below the crossover is sent to subwoofer.. It is not LFE signal..

Last edited:
LFE is (.1) is multi-channel.. There is no LFE in stereo..When you play stereo on your AVR with a crossover engaged, bass below the crossover is sent to subwoofer.. It is not LFE signal..

[Balajeem] Perfect, this is precisely i was thinking too.
AVR - I did manual setup, front speakers are small, subwoofer - yes, mode: lfe or lfe+ main , in either case why wouldn't the bass below crossover be sent to subwoofer if I set the crossover to 90Hz is what I couldn't understand.
If I run in mutlichannel mode i.e. 5.1 mode subwoofer works ok.

mode: lfe or lfe+ main , in either case why wouldn't the bass below crossover be sent to subwoofer if I set the crossover to 90Hz is what I couldn't understand.

It will be received by the subwoofer.. Make sure you set the crossover on the subwoofer to max (defeated)..

Try playing some songs with heavy bass & raise the volume knob on sub-woofer..

Ideally in 2-channel mode in AVR, setting the main speakers as small should send the low frequencies to the sub output channel depending on the crossover point set in bass management.
You should adjust the crossover point to suit your taste.
But it could vary from receiver to receiver depending on its bass management features.
Some advanced receivers also have dedicated bass management for 2-channel scenario.

I am using a wharfedale active sub in my 2-channel setup with a stereo amp. I have output the DAC to the input of the the wharfedale and its low level output is connected the amp.
Crossover is set at around 55hz on the subwoofer and gain adjusted for the best blend between the sub and the main speakers.

It will be received by the subwoofer.. Make sure you set the crossover on the subwoofer to max (defeated)..

Try playing some songs with heavy bass & raise the volume knob on sub-woofer..

something wrong somewhere in the setting perhaps - subwoofer is not getting the input that it should, tried subwoofer highcut to max, volume at different levels.

all works ok in PLII mode or any other simulated mode of 5.1 while playing via blutooth.

I tried playing via sony bluray player and also via blutooth - no luck.

cables are ok, avr is ok ( otherwise it wouldn't work even in 5.1 ), subwoofer is also ok - as otherwise it won't work in 5.1 mode.

will have to figure it out.

in the spur of excitement most of us do miss a step or two....recommended to revisit the operating manual of the sub and avr and specifically check.....

with regards to stereo amp, if your sub is compatible for connections, there would be guidance around the cable type to be used and the position of the control knobs on the sub in order to achieve the desired performance

Denon AVR 1610

Let me expand further on the connection :

I connected the blutooth receiver ( external one ) L/R output to line in of VCR/iPOD at the rear of Denon.
Playing in stereo by choosing VCR option in Denon

Sony bluray player is connected via HDMI to AVR

thanks, I did select D/ST to select Stereo, only thing I did't do is source select which I think is automatic.

I tried some more combos but none worked. I talked to a service person , he says circuitry in 2ch mode could have gone wrong and he can check and service it.

I strongly doubt it as test tone works ok, 5.1ch stereo, simulated setups work ok.

I was wondering if there is any setting for Direct/ Stereo mode that's disabling the signals to subout.
I use only "stereo" mode and not "direct mode" .

will keep experimenting further, thanks for all the suggestions.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back