Beware of this OLX seller (scammer)

bipin1143

This person goes by the name 'sons consultancy Chennai' form OLX is offering brand new lg oled TVs at the cost of 60k and 70k especially model c9 and b9 beware this is a scam.hes asking 30% money upfront and he'll never return your calls so beware and report him if you have come across this ad

Thanks for the heads-up. Could you please provide the olx link so that everyone's aware?

MaSh

Thanks for the heads-up. Could you please provide the olx link so that everyone's aware?

MaSh
I reported to olx guys and i think they took his ad down could not find anymore

Did u lost 30%

Did u lost 30%
lost 10% 8k inr

From my experience these fraudsters keep popping up using different user IDs on OLX. You can surely expect to see him online again soon. No dearth of them in Mumbai either. We must constantly share information on hfv so that all FMs are alert!

lost 10% 8k inr
Can you file a case with the cops?

lost 10% 8k inr
Thats sad does olx provide any protection?

Thats sad does olx provide any protection?

OLX clearly warns us not to send the payment (partial/full) in advance & suggests that we personally inspect & purchase. We receive these auto messages when we enquire with keywords like price, location.... So on. Also, I recall seeing messages like not to blindly trust ADs with "unbelievable" prices.

I don't think they would be of help in this case and might only be able to take down the user profile.

Numerous fraudsters in OLX including sellers in electronic goods starting from TV to Mobile phone.. In chennai heard lot of stories of getting cheated with fake mobile phones in the high end mobiles when got released.. They will sell at almost half the price and still people fall in to their clutch.

Can you file a case with the cops?
I dont believe cops can help me with this. its my mistake and a lesson learned

Btw how did u transferred the money to him/ lost ur money.
Is it gpay?
U can share the Account details or his mobile number which u transferred to him.
It might help others atleast if that fraud is not that intelligent to change his account number/ mobile number.
Just my thoughts.

Ps: Frauds are not only in olx they are everywhere including HFV may be few are Greedy.
Vice versa good ppl are there in Olx too.
Tc.

Thats true. Cops dont bother for such small petty amounts.

So this scammer was so convincing that he even gave me Id proofs [adhar,pan,kyc registry, and his federal bank details] not sure if these are really his Ids, and when asked why such low prices he stated that he will import from thailand and due to corona virus outbreak the electronic markets been crashed. he asked 30% first and later he asked for 10% downpayment for Lg OLED C9 65inch which is 70k inr total. im also attaching his proofs and mobile number. [9345047745] he even tells you if you dont believe him go to the HYD airport to pickup your tv by yourself!!
A beautiful SCAM

If payment is made via digital channels or bank, receiver can be traced. Cops can definitely help. OLX also needs records such as phone number, email address etc.

Go to your local police station, ask them where their cyber cell division is and lodge a FIR. Let them investigate to find out you have a legitimate cause of action.

Carry these documents along. Prepare a statement explaining the chain of events.

Carry these documents along. Prepare a statement explaining the chain of events.
i dont have time to take action against this scammer im just learning to deal with it and move on

Suit yourself!

OLX is so designed, it has no deterrent against such scamsters. On Ebay you have ratings which the sellers zealously work towards maintaining. No such thing on OLX.

How many of you get this advertising call from OLX which sounds like a person speaking? He introduces himself and then you realise it’s a tape playing. To me, that says a lot about its ideology.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-03-19 at 5.23.48 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-03-19 at 5.23.48 PM.jpeg
    65.8 KB · Views: 141
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-03-19 at 5.24.48 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-03-19 at 5.24.48 PM.jpeg
    164.6 KB · Views: 141
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-03-19 at 6.12.10 PM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-03-19 at 6.12.10 PM (1).jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 139
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-03-19 at 6.12.10 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-03-19 at 6.12.10 PM.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 129
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys I found the ad again going live on OLX here's the link
These fraudsters need to be eliminated

Hi guys I found the ad again going live on OLX here's the link
These fraudsters need to be eliminated

Remember what I said earlier? These turds are so predictable! If you have the time and inclination, build a strong case against them now and report to the cyber crime cell

He has created his account (seems multiple) this month, account creation date is showing March 2020 and the items listed for sale are posted on March 01. Seems he creates IDs on 1st of every month.
To catch him we need to be more clever than he his. Anybody from Chennai can do the job. A kind of trap, should ask him for at least 10 TVs for office or so, tell him to meet personally to collect the advance.

The world is not suffering due to bad people. Its suffering because of silence of good people.

OP should or rather must approach the police. With so much of info available about the fraudster, it would not be difficult for the authorities to nab him.

Remember, lack of action on the part of a victim of a successful scam emboldens the culprit.

One guy by name 'Rohith Rose' post an ad in OLX. He offered MARANTZ SR5012 for ₹25k and 7013 for ₹27k. He mentioned that he is from Chennai. I made a trial. I mentioned that I'm also from chennai and I'll come and pick both the receivers. Two days later he mailed that basically they are from Rewa, Madhya Pradesh and he will send it through BLUE DART. That's it. If you want you can watch it on OLX. If we are tempted by the price sure we'll become their prey.

OLX is a good place to sell, provided due diligence and care is taken. Certain rules I personally follow :
> Always buy/Sell within your district or state
> If you are selling, always go with Cash first, delivery next policy, If the buyer isn't able to meet you in person
> Meet the buyer/Seller in a well populated, public place, to ensure your own safety, additionally you can bring along a friend for support
> Never disclose your banking details/ House address etc..Never know for what purpose your details are used for
> Deals which are too good to be true, are just that....too good to be true.
> Patience is the key while selling. Never rush to a buyer, just because he offers you the full asking price. Eg. African Scamsters/Hackers have found olx as their new domain, their M.O. is usually offering full buying price, and making the seller, to share their banking details.

Stay Safe my friends.

He's got multiple ads in different cities. The latest seems to be buy one get one free tv due to corona virus. How's that related, he only knows. He wants buyer to call him, no info shared in written. I reported his ad.

MaSh

He's got multiple ads in different cities. The latest seems to be buy one get one free tv due to corona virus. How's that related, he only knows. He wants buyer to call him, no info shared in written. I reported his ad.

MaSh

I guess "Buy one" implies for the prospective unsuspecting buyer and "get one free" implies for this scheming seller.

Last edited:
One way to frustrate him to no end.
Keep reporting any ads we find he has posted
Let him make new and we keep on reporting.

I guess "Buy one" implies for the prospective unsuspecting buyer and "get one free" implies for this scheming seller.
Exactly. The seller is a dead giveaway to be reported immediately. Too many duplicate ads, not providing any information in written, etc. Bright red flags.

MaSh

Last edited:
One guy by name 'Rohith Rose' post an ad in OLX. He offered MARANTZ SR5012 for ₹25k and 7013 for ₹27k. He mentioned that he is from Chennai. I made a trial. I mentioned that I'm also from chennai and I'll come and pick both the receivers. Two days later he mailed that basically they are from Rewa, Madhya Pradesh and he will send it through BLUE DART. That's it. If you want you can watch it on OLX. If we are tempted by the price sure we'll become their prey.
Tell him one of your friend located in Madhya Pradesh. Ask him for his address by telling your friend will contact and visit him. Let see what comes in reply.

Its become a common OLX practise now , each time i put an ad up i have people willing to buy at quoted price and directly ask for the phone number. Used to wonder whether i was so good at pricing in the beginning :p

I am sure they will either make up a story asking for money first or do a reverse gpay transaction and ask to enter pin

This is a very old practice by fraudsters on olx, around 5years back when I was looking for a camera I came across an ad selling a used Canon 5d3 for just 35k in Delhi . I was excited and immediately contacted the seller, I offered to pay by cash and pick it up immediately but he asked for a bank transfer of 10k as advance, when I did not agree and insisted on meeting him he stopped responding. I think he was an African. Since then I don't consider any item on any platform if the offer is too good to be true.

Its become a common OLX practise now , each time i put an ad up i have people willing to buy at quoted price and directly ask for the phone number. Used to wonder whether i was so good at pricing in the beginning :p

I am sure they will either make up a story asking for money first or do a reverse gpay transaction and ask to enter pin
This is a very common approach now in OLX. They claim they are from army or some government job and ask for bank account number, mobile number and email address. Guess they know a way to steal money using these details from our account7C277C67-9E93-47A5-A65B-F07AB435FEBC.jpeg

This is a very common approach now in OLX. They claim they are from army or some government job and ask for bank account number, mobile number and email address. Guess they know a way to steal money using these details from our account.
Few months back I saw an ad for the Nikon Camera, actual cost was more than 70k with basic lens kit, but in the ad it was posted @17000/- and as the ad was posted under my city I called him and he said he is located in Mumbai and stayed in an Indian Army camp. (Immediately I understood it could be a scam as it was posted in another city and the item is somewhere else, especially at that attractive price). I inquired about the lens which comes with camera, he couldn't reply (18-55, 18-200 etc.) He said to call me back and called me again by saying It is shown in the image :D
I asked how we will proceed with the payment, he said, "no issues, I just have to pay 10,000 now and remaining amount can pay cash on delivery"
He was trying to offer attractive deals, like 70K worth camera in 17K with nice kit, even no full payment in advance, COD etc.) (I was enjoying his efforts how he was trying to make me fool).
I asked about his army IDs and other documents, then he stopped responding.
Later he responded me "SOLD", to make me disappointed and regret for missing the deal. :D

Guess all these OLX horror stories simply lead to one learning:

Ask to meet in person with the said item and say you’d check it personally before buying. If a fraud, they’d back out. Genuine sellers will go ahead with it. You can pay by cash or do an instant online transfer after ensuring the genuineness and collect the item in the same meeting. Yes, this completely rules out out-station deals unless you can be represented by someone in the seller’s city.

olx is 100% safe if we remain cautious as long as we do not fall for greed owing to attractive and often unrealistic offers.
Faceless transactions always have a risk factor. Tread carefully and always remember the adage "The ain't no such thing as a free lunch"

Few months back I saw an ad for the Nikon Camera, actual cost was more than 70k with basic lens kit, but in the ad it was posted @17000/- and as the ad was posted under my city I called him and he said he is located in Mumbai and stayed in an Indian Army camp. (Immediately I understood it could be a scam as it was posted in another city and the item is somewhere else, especially at that attractive price). I inquired about the lens which comes with camera, he couldn't reply (18-55, 18-200 etc.) He said to call me back and called me again by saying It is shown in the image :D
I asked how we will proceed with the payment, he said, "no issues, I just have to pay 10,000 now and remaining amount can pay cash on delivery"
He was trying to offer attractive deals, like 70K worth camera in 17K with nice kit, even no full payment in advance, COD etc.) (I was enjoying his efforts how he was trying to make me fool).
I asked about his army IDs and other documents, then he stopped responding.
Later he responded me "SOLD", to make me disappointed and regret for missing the deal. :D
Hahaha good you were cautious enough. Sadly there are pple still falling for these scams.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back