Bi wiring of speakers

A K Bhattacharjee

Till recently I have been listening to my KEF speakers bi-wired. Yesterday I switched over to normal mode. I observed that in normal mode bass is more tight i.e lower frequencies but I missed the higher ones. I am using Chord silver line speaker cables. I request forum members for expert opinions & their experiences on bi wiring.

Thanks

Are you just bi-wiring from the same amp or biamping too? Try using a strip from the same speaker cable to bridge the High and Low in place of the supplied bridge. See if that makes a difference.

MaSh

My Mission MX3 sounds so better after By-Wiring them. The Bass, Vocals & Stereo imaging have improved a lot and sound of each instrument played is so distinguishable.
Read over the Internet that not every speaker would gain from Bi-Wiring, it'll be only if they're designed to be....
And some claim that, though with the above gains, you may loose a bit on the dynamics of sound put together.

Are you just bi-wiring from the same amp or biamping too? Try using a strip from the same speaker cable to bridge the High and Low in place of the supplied bridge. See if that makes a difference.

MaSh
It is a Bi-wiring from the same amp. Which speaker cable are you using for your set up?

This is a well debated subject. I was talking to some industry veterans like Dick Diamond of YG Acoustics and many advice against bi-wiring because you will lose a lot in the bass and the upper end will have a lot of artificial air. Initially this sounds great but you will soon get tired of this signature of sound. If you want to go that route the best it run 2 independent wires of the same gauge all the way from the amp to the speakers.

Here are some articles that go in detail

Oh okay. I use klotz with my kef iq5.

MaSh

Interestingly I also tried biwiring on my quad z4 speakers using klotz cable. It makes sound more airy but bass looses out and also Dynamics. I don't prefer it.

Interestingly I also tried biwiring on my quad z4 speakers using klotz cable. It makes sound more airy but bass looses out and also Dynamics. I don't prefer it.

Hmm yes, the bass did become dull with my NAD amp, however, when I switched to a Peeceebee V4 power amp, the bass became fantastic.

MaSh

So it's dependent on the amp behaviour

I would suppose so. Although the NAD is rated to go down to 4 ohms, the Peeceebee seems more comfortable at that impedance than the NAD. The bass really tightened up with the poweramp. Same cable, same connectors.

MaSh

I would suppose so. Although the NAD is rated to go down to 4 ohms, the Peeceebee seems more comfortable at that impedance than the NAD. The bass really tightened up with the poweramp. Same cable, same connectors.

MaSh

I also tried to biwire the speakers keeping the jumpers on the back of the speakers intact and result was no different from when jumpers were removed. So I think difference comes only from running two parallel wires instead on running one, not because of supplying the bass and mids with different wires.

I also tried to biwire the speakers keeping the jumpers on the back of the speakers intact and result was no different from when jumpers were removed. So I think difference comes only from running two parallel wires instead on running one, not because of supplying the bass and mids with different wires.

Yeah biwire is useless. Biamp on the other hand should give interesting results.

MaSh

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back