Bitumen sheet

Is it black stuff, about 1.5mm thick, with a little bit of softness if you press something into it, bit brittle enough to snap if you bend it?

If so, I am searching for it too ... but I all I know about the black stuff I'm looking for is that an engineer used it between a pump and concrete, to cut vibrations, and I want a piece to put under my washing machine so it doesn't "walk." Knowing what it is called would help.

Our nearest big hardware shop, seeing a sample, suggested we try a plywood shop, but they could not name it.

Bitumen is a self adhesive sheet used for sound deadening in car I think. DIYers who are in the process of building GR speaker kit may know where to get. I verified in few car shop. But they dont have bitumen.

Thanks
Badri

It should be available with Hardware shops.Try to get Aluminium backed Bitumen sheets they have a thick Aluminium foil on the back.It can also be used under Turntable plinth,Power Amp for damping and avoid RF.

Regards,
Sachin

@badrisuper You get them in shops which cater to waterproofing roofs etc. They come in sizes of about 4ft by 4ft in Bangalore. Some have rolls too.
In chennai I have seen them in shops near Aminjikarai ( I was going to Annanagar) as well as around Palavanthangal - many shops. Generally look for areas where new construction is happening and you are sure to find them.

Dear all, here in Mumbai it's called "Shalimar" in hardware shops, or u can may br use the term Tarfelt sheet

@badrisuper You get them in shops which cater to waterproofing roofs etc. They come in sizes of about 4ft by 4ft in Bangalore. Some have rolls too.
In chennai I have seen them in shops near Aminjikarai ( I was going to Annanagar) as well as around Palavanthangal - many shops. Generally look for areas where new construction is happening and you are sure to find them.

In new construction sites, this material is hardly used, reason - modern constructions technique, quality control and alternate chemical admixture

In new construction sites, this material is hardly used, reason - modern constructions technique, quality control and alternate chemical admixture

Just used it in my construction. There are certain situations where this is the best option. Anyhow OT.

@badrisuper if you let me know your co-ordinates in chennai, I may be able to find out the nearest source, other than the two places I mentioned above.

I am near by Tambaram, which is near to palavanthangal. If any shop in palavanthangal is reachable. Please let me know. Thanks Gopib.

Thanks
Badri

Well if you are looking for quality stuff, then go for scoche, stinger or dynamat.if you are looking at industrial grade go in for wurth.

If you are looking for generic stuff then head to sembudoss st in north chennai.

Oak

Just used it in my construction. There are certain situations where this is the best option. Anyhow OT.

If I'm not mistaken, the ones used on the terraces for waterproofing are not pure bitumen but have asbestos content in them and are quite thick. The bitumen sheets that I saw in some speakers are just 2-3 mm. I've got hold the addresses of a few of them. Just need to squeeze some time out to visit them. My evenings for the past 3-4 days are being spent in building the Class D Power amp.

@Badri, I'll ping you the details once I get to visit them.

I just bought it from a neighborhood hardware shop, it is around 1.5mm thick, comes in rolls, for 1 mtr I paid rs.80

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back