• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Blank Vinyl Record for anti skate adjustment.

What is the exact process of anti skate adjustment? Using blank record as suggested by some experts will help? I do not know where to get the blank record. In my opinion sometimes anti skate does not function properly if set according to manufacturers guidelines. Fellow members opinion pl.

SPONSORED ADS

SPONSORED ADS

kuruvilajacob

I use Laser disk for the purpose. The centre circle is much larger than the record. So you need to place it accurately. It has worked fine for me.

G401fan

What is the exact process of anti skate adjustment? Using blank record as suggested by some experts will help? I do not know where to get the blank record. In my opinion sometimes anti skate does not function properly if set according to manufacturers guidelines. Fellow members opinion pl.
Skate is a vector force that acts on the stylus that is caused by its movement on a modulated record track as a consequence of the offset angle of the cartridge relative to the rest of the tonearm. Because the arm travels in an arc.

Linear tracking tonearms (having no arc, and no offset angle) have no skate. Hence no anti-skate.

Using blank records or laser discs make no sense. The stylus HAS to be in a moving modulated groove for skate to happen.

The best way to set anti-skate is to go by the TT manual instructions, which have optimised the settings under lab conditions. The skate force is not uniform across the disc - it varies from the first track to the last. It also is marginally impacted by stylus profile : spherical or elliptical. Hence optimisation by the manufacturer matters.

Or by using a Test Record (which used to be plentiful back in the day, but expensive now).

Also note that after setting anti-skate, the tonearm may drift slightly outward when cueing at the start of the LP. That’s because anti-skate is already in operation, while skate happens only after the stylus makes contact with the groove.

arj

@G401fan has beautifully explained this.

There is a work around ! if you have any record which has a larger run in groove ie the space between the last song and the center, you can use that, the only thing being that dont place the stylus on the groove but on the space between the grooves and closest to the outer one. Since the distance between track is hig, you have some time to observe the movement which has to be a very slow movement till it gets into the next groove. I remember reading about this as a method suggested by Frank Schroeder and thought of it as very clever !

SPONSORED ADS