Blown SVS Subwoofer

sidvee

Ok guys I finally did it. I was watching a movie today and my 10 year old SVS 20-39 PC12 plus sub made a farting sound twice and now it makes a scraping noise whenever there is a signal. Contacted SVS service and they diagnosed a blow woofer. Good news - replacement is available. Bad news $299 plus shipping. Quick question, obviously the best choice would be to order the woofer and be done with it. However I am curious, would it be possible to replace with a 12" woofer (peerless) of local make. I know perhaps there will a compromise in performance but is this really an option, and also what would a 12" subwoofer driver from peerless cost. Please advice.
Cheers,
Sid

Ok guys I finally did it. I was watching a movie today and my 10 year old SVS 20-39 PC12 plus sub made a farting sound twice and now it makes a scraping noise whenever there is a signal. Contacted SVS service and they diagnosed a blow woofer. Good news - replacement is available. Bad news $299 plus shipping. Quick question, obviously the best choice would be to order the woofer and be done with it. However I am curious, would it be possible to replace with a 12" woofer (peerless) of local make. I know perhaps there will a compromise in performance but is this really an option, and also what would a 12" subwoofer driver from peerless cost. Please advice.
Cheers,
Sid

hi, sorry for that.
you r lucky, exact replacement is available.
please go ahead with the original one.the enclosure is designed with the exact woofer.

Cheers,
Sid

I can fix your SVS. For that you will have to post me some pics of that blown driver from all possible angles. Kindly answer few questions related to the faulty driver......
1. Is the cone assemble not moving (stuck) when you press it downwards ?.
2. If its freely moving down & up. Do you find any scrapping noise when
you press the cone assembly up & down ?.
3. Do you find any cracks or tear in any component ..... cone or spider ?.
4. Do you see any adhesive failure in between cone and spider ?, surround
to frame ?, spider to frame ? or in between the termination of the
surround to the cone body.
It is possible to replace the voice coil (if damaged) by re-using the cone assembly again. Spider will also need a change in the doing course.
I can get parts from my sources abroad to fix the SVS, provided if you can
ship it to my workshop in Kolkata.
& by the way 12" Peerless (India) driver will not work as an ideal replacement.
Vicky

Thanks Sidewinder:
Some answers:
1. Cone assembly is moving freely
2. Yes there is scraping noise when I push it and this is the same noise when I run signal.
3. No cracks or tears visible.
4. Adhesive seems fine, no failure.
I will post pics. in this thread tomorrow., but please do advise cost of voice coil repair. Shipping the big woofer assembly is not going to be easy so want to make sure that it is worth all the effort. if not perhaps ordering a new assy. is the way to go.
Cheers,
Sid

Yes sidewinder it is similar but an earlier design as my sub is approx. 10 yrs old. This is the new version that has a 800w amp., i think mine was either 250 or 500 watts.
Cheers,
Sid

Thanks Sidewinder:
Some answers:
1. Cone assembly is moving freely
2. Yes there is scraping noise when I push it and this is the same noise when I run signal.
3. No cracks or tears visible.
4. Adhesive seems fine, no failure.
I will post pics. in this thread tomorrow., but please do advise cost of voice coil repair. Shipping the big woofer assembly is not going to be easy so want to make sure that it is worth all the effort. if not perhaps ordering a new assy. is the way to go.
Cheers,
Sid

I run a loudspeaker recone & fabrication co. here in Kolkata "Hunter Audio Loudspeaker Reconers" (see us at Facebook) & I also am authorized Importer of speaker recone parts from the US & Europe.
My voice coil vendor is the best & finest coil manufacturer in the US. They also supply to TC Sound and to most of the major brands all around USA.I need the SVS damage coil measurement to get the coil from them. Since it is custom wound for SVS. They will not revile the specs to it.
I can guarantee you 100% success in the restoring & recoiling the driver to it's original state. Call me 09331927102 to know more or you can also e.mail me at [email protected].

Shipping the big woofer assembly is not going to be easy so want to make sure that it is worth all the effort. if not perhaps ordering a new assy. is the way to go.
Cheers,
Sid

You can consider the railway parcel option which is very cheap. Couple of days back I got my 10+kg stereo ampundamaged from Trivandrum to Shalimar (a station in Kolkata) for just around 200 INR and shipped in 3 days. The only drawback is it is not door to door and you have to post and collect in person from the nearest station which has this facility.

You can consider the railway parcel option which is very cheap. Couple of days back I got my 10+kg stereo ampundamaged from Trivandrum to Shalimar (a station in Kolkata) for just around 200 INR and shipped in 3 days. The only drawback is it is not door to door and you have to post and collect in person from the nearest station which has this facility.

There are reliable & authorized courier services which also uses the railway service. I'd advise to take their services instead booking parcels directly at the railways.
I had used services earlier for KOLKATA TO DELHI & KOLKATA TO MUMBAI or vise verse. Rates are Rs 12 to 15 / Kg.

Last edited:
Hey Sidewinder,
I have a 12" boss speaker can it be repaired?
It's more than 12-13 yrs old.
And what will be the cost?
Can it be modified into a sub maybe?

Apologies if i have hijacked another thread

Model no and made in area i dont know, this was lying with me for sometime.
I wanna do something with it someday soon.
If you give me the address to your shop, maybe we can setup a date and i can visit you so that you can see for yourself.

Thank you all for replying, especially sidewinder. I got a quote of shipping on the replacement driver from SVS. Since it is a heavy unit the total cost shipped is about $400 and this does not include customs. So I have decided to abandon this sub., and just buy a new one from Audire. Awaiting their quotes. Down the road I will perhaps take a call of getting in touch with sidewinder and examining the possibility of getting my driver repaired and then I can use as a spare perhaps.
Cheers,
Sid

How about sending only the driver to Calcutta for repair?

I guess replacing only the. Coil will not be costly and will be worth the experiment

Thank you all for replying, especially sidewinder. I got a quote of shipping on the replacement driver from SVS. Since it is a heavy unit the total cost shipped is about $400 and this does not include customs.
Cheers,
Sid
ONLY extra $100 for shipping !, it's very cheap for such heavy load.
I am quite frequently getting down parts from abroad. I very well know the hassle involved. Atleast 40% duty will be there on the total value of that $400. Plus some extra bucks under table for not having an import license while importing here at the clearance. And if you are paying those $$$$ thru credit card, 3.5% currency conversion markup fee to the bank will also be awaiting for you.

ONLY extra $100 for shipping !, it's very cheap for such heavy load.
I am quite frequently getting down parts from abroad. I very well know the hassle involved. Atleast 40% duty will be there on the total value of that $400. Plus some extra bucks under table for not having an import license while importing here at the clearance. And if you are paying those $$$$ thru credit card, 3.5% currency conversion markup fee to the bank will also be awaiting for you.

Thats right sidewinder. Thats why I have decided to get a new sub., pointless to spend close to $550 on just replacement, when perhaps a new one can be bought in India for about 60-75k.
Cheers,
Sid

How about sending only the driver to Calcutta for repair?

I guess replacing only the. Coil will not be costly and will be worth the experiment

Yes Jagdish, definitely an option but will do it later, for now I will just buy another svs. I love these subs., the one I had is almost 10 years old so I believe I got my money's worth from it.
Cheers,
Sid

There are reliable & authorized courier services which also uses the railway service. I'd advise to take their services instead booking parcels directly at the railways.
I had used services earlier for KOLKATA TO DELHI & KOLKATA TO MUMBAI or vise verse. Rates are Rs 12 to 15 / Kg.

Get me a few such courier contacts please here or over PM, they are indeed a necessity at times :)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back