Blu Ray player for Yamaha YHT 196

skul82

I am planning to buy a Yamaha YHT 196 HT system. I am also looking for a blu ray player to buy along with that. Do I need to buy a BD player with Dolby DTS? The HT system has Dolby/DTS support so if I buy a regular BD player will the system decode and output the sound in Dolby or the player also needs to be Dolby to get the decoding translated to speakers?

Also, can you suggest a good Blu ray player upto 7-8K?

I will be buying this in Pune, India. So if anyone knows of any stores offering a good deals on this, please let me know.

if you intend to watch Bluray disks then you should considering buying Yamaha 298/299 because Bluray disks have high resolution audio which Yamaha 196 won't decode. If you will watch DVD/downloaded stuffs then Yamaha 196 is fine.

Dont worry about player. Any player decodes Dolby/DTS. Further, you will be connecting it to your HT by HDMI so your HT will decode the DOLBY/DTS signal and you will surely get Dolby sound. You can buy any BD player from Sony that fits your budget perfectly.

But again if you want to watch Downloaded stuff then you should consider a Media Player like Asus O Play Mini or WD TV Live. They are better for downloaded/ripped stuff.

Make sure that your BDP has HDMI output. That's all. If 3d is not important, then there are numerous options from Panasonic/Sony/Pioneer/Philips under 8K.

Let me remind you, if you want to use your BDP for DLNA player, entry level panasonic BDPs are just pathetic. I am not really sure about other brands.
I own a Pana BD75 (bought @ 7.5K). It does a good job for 2d movies playback (from disc only).

One more thing, if you plan to buy blu ray discs from US, better to go for region free blu ray player or buy a blu ray player which can be made region free at a later point of time.

Most blu ray discs available at flipkart are region free so no worries there. :)

I am planning to buy a Yamaha YHT 196 HT system. I am also looking for a blu ray player to buy along with that. Do I need to buy a BD player with Dolby DTS? The HT system has Dolby/DTS support so if I buy a regular BD player will the system decode and output the sound in Dolby or the player also needs to be Dolby to get the decoding translated to speakers?

Also, can you suggest a good Blu ray player upto 7-8K?

I will be buying this in Pune, India. So if anyone knows of any stores offering a good deals on this, please let me know.

Couple of days back ..I purchased 196 from reliance digital - Aundh .. they were having offer 23,500 for AVR + Philips BD player BDP2180 for 3000/- (mrp of this BD player was mentioned 6000+ on the box) ... found similar offer in Vijay sales ..but they were quoting more than Reliance ...
you may wish to check ...

Within 7k to 8k you can try any bluray player from Sony India ....they are good for the price and easily available....

I bought YHT 299 today from Vijay Sales. I actually went there to buy 196 but after hearing 299 my dad insisted on it. There was a considerable difference in sound. Anywez, looking forward for the installation guy to fix it. And i also bought Sony S1100 with it.

I bought YHT 299 today from Vijay Sales. I actually went there to buy 196 but after hearing 299 my dad insisted on it. There was a considerable difference in sound. Anywez, looking forward for the installation guy to fix it. And i also bought Sony S1100 with it.

congrats ..!!!
i had contacted yamaha service center and they arranged for demo and installation person..i have used speaker mounts ...450 rs per piece and have got wires auto stick...you may wish to see pics posted by me...under Yamaha 196

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

Hi skul82, how much did you pay ? and which branch of Vijay Sales did u purchase from ?

Couple of days back ..I purchased 196 from reliance digital - Aundh .. they were having offer 23,500 for AVR + Philips BD player BDP2180 for 3000/- (mrp of this BD player was mentioned 6000+ on the box) ... found similar offer in Vijay sales ..but they were quoting more than Reliance ...
you may wish to check ...

The flipkart page for Philips BDP2180 mentions it does DTS 2.0 + Digital out, does this mean it wont support DTS 5.1 ?

Hi skul82, how much did you pay ? and which branch of Vijay Sales did u purchase from ?

I got a 2K discount on 299, i bought it for 35K at Vijay Sales, Satara Road branch. Ask for Ravikant when you go there

Last edited:
Can anyone point me to a technical guide explaining different parameters for settings up YAMAHA 299? I am checking the forums for sound settings and coming across a lot of opinions on CinemaDSP settings, Sourround settings, DD DTS settings and most importantly Crossover/Speaker/Subwoofer settings.

congrats ..!!!
i had contacted yamaha service center and they arranged for demo and installation person..i have used speaker mounts ...450 rs per piece and have got wires auto stick...you may wish to see pics posted by me...under Yamaha 196

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

Not getting any option to view pics in your profile. Can you share the link for the album?

The flipkart page for Philips BDP2180 mentions it does DTS 2.0 + Digital out, does this mean it wont support DTS 5.1 ?

It supports DTS 5.1 however it can also downmix the 5.1 to 2.0 on digital out which can be used with stereo amps.
The devices can output both:
- Multichannel DTS and
- a downmix to 2.0

Back