Blu ray Player that plays HDD files

BLU RAY PLAYER THAT PLAYS US-REGION DISCS AND MOST HDD FILES

I am looking for a blu ray player, that is region free, or atleast plays region 1 blu rays and region-A dvds (my rental shop has mostly US blu ray n dvds). I have an external seagate HDD with tons of downloaded and DVD-ripped movies, photos, music and other videos in many different formats. was connected to my now-conked PS3.
I almost ordered the new Oppo bdp-103, but as i only have a 720p projector and a stereo amp, I am not sure if its worth it.
Currently looking at the Panasonic bdt's which can be modded and plays some HDD files. Or should i buy a dedicated blu-ray player and a media player separately?
Budget not a constraint, I can also get players through my friends outside the country.

Since you almost ordered an oppo bdp, get a media player for the hard disk movies. A media player is always much better than bdp for downloaded movie contents. But the ultimate option will be an htpc with xbmc. Nothing can beat it.

Check out my review on Panasonic dmp-bdt220. Can be made region free sand plays almost everything except vinyl records.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Thanks all for replying, i considered the panasonic 220 only after reading your review. My head says Panny, but i want the Oppo after reading Oppo reviews for the last few years! If the Oppo plays most of the files from my HDD then i would not go for a separate media player. and as the Oppo is a region A player i would not require a region free mod. i can even connect my videocon HD to the Oppo. Only doubt i have is the coaxial audio output of the oppo should work with my analog NAD stereo amp.
htpc + xbmc is a new interesting concept to me, but i prefer a little less uncluttered setup, thats why the stereo + 2 towers setup in this age of 7 and 9 speaker setups!

No the coaxial o/p will not work with the NAD stereo amp. You need digital i/p s in the AVR or processor for this to work. The NAD can accept the analog outs of the Oppo.

Thanks all for replying, i considered the panasonic 220 only after reading your review. My head says Panny, but i want the Oppo after reading Oppo reviews for the last few years! If the Oppo plays most of the files from my HDD then i would not go for a separate media player. and as the Oppo is a region A player i would not require a region free mod. i can even connect my videocon HD to the Oppo. Only doubt i have is the coaxial audio output of the oppo should work with my analog NAD stereo amp.
htpc + xbmc is a new interesting concept to me, but i prefer a little less uncluttered setup, thats why the stereo + 2 towers setup in this age of 7 and 9 speaker setups!

Basically it is the opportunity cost. Are you a serious videophile? Oppo is a great BDP, nay a reference player and its strength lies in its video processing (read 'upconversion') and DAC. Oppo will be really useful for playing DVD and upconverting them and playing music CDs + various music formats. With BD playback over HDMI, Oppo will not bring any serious benefit. The Panasonic DMP-BDT220 is available in India for 11-12k and can be made region free by another Rs. 2500 or so, a total outlay of less than Rs. 15k. The Oppo 103 will cost well over Rs. 45K when purchasing abroad and bringing it in yourself and over Rs. 60K by way of import.

Looking at your needs, I do not think you need an Oppo but you can be your best judge. The Panasonic BDP does a very decent job of upconversion and coupled with a great TV like ST50, I reckon that in my case the Oppo could not have delivered 4-5 times better (being 4-5 times costlier).

Similarly Toshib BDX3200 can play Bluray movie from HDD & Bitstream HD-audio.

Yes. This is also a good player. It can be made region free by firmware upgrade at no extra cost. Priced at 150 at Amazon.co.uk, it will cost you as follows:

1. Item Cost: 150.00
2. Shipping via SnS: 25.00 (approx)
-----------------------------------
3. Total: 175 or INR 15172.00 (at 86.6958:1)
-----------------------------------
4. 3.5% Credit Card surcharge by bank: INR 531.02
5. Customs Duty at 26% on 3: INR 3944.72
------------------------------------------------------
Total landed cost (3+4+5): INR 19647.74
------------------------------------------------------

Yes, the indian dealers quoted Rs.65k for the oppo-93:annoyed:. I am gettin the Oppo-103 for US @ $499, approx 27500 rupees through a friend flying down from the US.:clapping:
My viewing pattern- dvd-50%, HDD-30%, blu ray-20%
I know that for my existing setup (720p proj +stereo amp), the Oppo is an overkill, but in the far future i might get an AVR and a 1080p proj.
and currently DVDs will look better and most importantly play the various format files i already have. when playing the HDD with the PS3, the most irritating part was the file conversions-laborious and time-consuming, which i wont have to suffer with the Oppo.
But still my head says to go for the Panny BDP:confused:

After a intial difference all that more expensive equipment will offer will be subtle differences. There can never be products which will offer you the desired quality by means of price multiples of quality. It is after reaching a threshold the more you spend gives you an incremental difference just like an exponential scale. It is same with any equipment.

Hobbies are meant to enjoyed with your heart and.....:lol:

Btw oppo 103 for 28k is a sweet deal i would not pass. A big + is that the oppo will upconvert the downloaded content too

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back