Blu ray players vs Nvidia shield

Love4sound

Dear Fm’s

I got a Sony x700 loaned today. So far I have been watching 4k movies through kodi in my nvidia shield pro2019.They are Blu-ray files in m2ts format and while played in kodi through my HDD it plays it ok 4kHDR. Today when I played the same movies in the Sony x700 it played them in Dolby vision. The shield supports Dolby vision but not sure why playing only in HDR. Your thoughts please

Dear Fm’s

I got a Sony x700 loaned today. So far I have been watching 4k movies through kodi in my nvidia shield pro2019.They are Blu-ray files in m2ts format and while played in kodi through my HDD it plays it ok 4kHDR. Today when I played the same movies in the Sony x700 it played them in Dolby vision. The shield supports Dolby vision but not sure why playing only in HDR. Your thoughts please
I think you need to change settings to Dolby Vision in Device Preferences, display - Dolby Vision. Is there perceivable difference in PQ between Dolby Vision and HDR.

I think you need to change settings to Dolby Vision in Device Preferences, display - Dolby Vision. Is there perceivable difference in PQ between Dolby Vision and HDR.
It’s set to Dolby vision
Kodi doesn't support double layer dolby vision. Dolby vision on nvidia shield is supported for only apps like netflix, prime etc.
ok so this may be the reason

There are some Dolby vision only blu-ray rips that should work. One of my mates tried it on the new shield with Kodi and the LG C9 and it works.

They also work with the Infuse App on the apple tv 4k.

There are some Dolby vision only blu-ray rips that should work. One of my mates tried it on the new shield with Kodi and the LG C9 and it works.

They also work with the Infuse App on the apple tv 4k.
Ok could you please share me the link to get that exact file ?

Dear Fm’s

Apart from this dolby vision support, did you see any difference in PQ between nvidia shield and sony X700 when you played the same content?.

Apart from this dolby vision support, did you see any difference in PQ between nvidia shield and sony X700 when you played the same content?.
I played very few contents and don’t think there is much difference in audio and video quality. I will check in detail and post my observations

I played very few contents and don’t think there is much difference in audio and video quality. I will check in detail and post my observations

Thanks, The reason i asked this question is coz I see a difference in PQ when I connect my NV shield 2019 to the HDMI-In of Oppo 103. The NV settings automatically gets changed to 1080p the moment I connect it to oppo but still the PQ is slightly better vs directly connecting the NV to 4K TV.

I've been testing this for all streaming apps including youtube and only fot 4K hdr content I'm connecting the NV directly to the TV. I need to check if i see this difference while playing media files in NV using kodi.

Thanks, The reason i asked this question is coz I see a difference in PQ when I connect my NV shield 2019 to the HDMI-In of Oppo 103. The NV settings automatically gets changed to 1080p the moment I connect it to oppo but still the PQ is slightly better vs directly connecting the NV to 4K TV.

I've been testing this for all streaming apps including youtube and only fot 4K hdr content I'm connecting the NV directly to the TV. I need to check if i see this difference while playing media files in NV using kodi.
Ok what tv are you using? I actually connect both the shield and player to my Denon and then to the tv. Why are u connecting it to the Oppo instead of avr ? Connecting directly to tv shouldn’t cause any loss with picture quality

I have LG 55C8 and there's no loss in PQ when I directly connect to the TV or to the AVR but the same output when connected thru Oppo is better, may be due to Oppo's video processing.

I have LG 55C8 and there's no loss in PQ when I directly connect to the TV or to the AVR but the same output when connected thru Oppo is better, may be due to Oppo's video processing.
Ok this case the Oppo is indeed doing a better job with processing the video compared to the shield

Dear Fm’s

Can you play all types of files through USB? Does it cast TrueHD?

My X700 plays Dolby Vision from mp4's. The examples that I have were made via DVDFab. The only example that comes to mind is Invisible Man (2020).

On a tangent: I'll have to try TrueHD in mp4, as so far I've only seen them work with m2ts. Usually I just recode the audio to DTS-HD7.1 so get around the Sony's limitation as when I repackage the movie from MKV to m2ts the TrueHD doesn't always play.

My X700 plays Dolby Vision from mp4's. The examples that I have were made via DVDFab. The only example that comes to mind is Invisible Man (2020).

On a tangent: I'll have to try TrueHD in mp4, as so far I've only seen them work with m2ts. Usually I just recode the audio to DTS-HD7.1 so get around the Sony's limitation as when I repackage the movie from MKV to m2ts the TrueHD doesn't always play.
Tru HD and DD+ wont work from usb in MKV formats

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back