Blumenhofer Big Fun 17, Fun 17 & ProAc D18s - your views

milestoneseeker

Hello members,

I have been going around listening to various speakers over the past 1 yr or so (who doesn't do so, you may ask). Out of the list, I have liked the following:

• Blumenhofer Big Fun 17
  • ProAc D18s

I also listened to certain bookshelves such as:

• ATC SCM11
  • Triangle Comete

My agenda with these speakers is to essentially to set up a good stereo set up and I have been fluctuating between bookshelves & FS. For me, this set up will be a long term one from which I would not like to upgrade. Unfortunately, with the rupee weakening, the Big Fun 17 as well as D18s are now @ 3L or more.

So my question is - has anyone been in a position to compare Big Fun 17 vs Fun 17? My understanding is that Fun 17 does not have compression tweeter unlike the Big Fun 17. Both of them are folded horn speakers. Fun 17 is a good 1 L cheaper than Big Fun 17. And would like your take on D18s vs Fun 17 speakers.

With the cost considerations, I got interested in ATC SCM speakers and heard the SCM11. It sounded great with crisp sound and great clarity. Heard at Palani's place who also auditioned Triangle's Comete alongside as these are in the same price range. Again, I have not yet made up my mind and would like other's opinion if they have had an opportunity to listen to these speakers at length?

I guess it is slightly confusing and what I am looking for is some opinion from others on these speakers. Comments please?

For clarity, I have heard Big Fun on Trigon Energy amp, D18s on Exposure 3010s2, SCM11 & Triangle on CA851.

Sir,
I assume your budget is Rs. 200/- K to Rs. 250/- K
The speakers you have shortlisted are good.
However, both are very different in their sound & approach to sound.
I am sure you have 'auditioned' both;
What have you liked ?
O.T. I too have a B/S for sale - if it would interest you;
KRK Expose E8B | Sweetwater.com
EXPOSE Studio Monitor Speaker KRK SYSTEMS
The Retail price is US $'s 6500/- for a pair.
i.e. Rs. 400/- K
I will let it go @ Rs. 215/- K Cash & Carry - Parel = Mumbai - Fixed Price.
It has not been used - only opened & a demo has been offered a few times.

This is the Top Line Studio Monitor from KRK with Berylium Inverted Dome Tweeter & Class A/B Amplifier. Good Product & Super Price.

With the cost considerations, I got interested in ATC SCM speakers and heard the SCM11. It sounded great with crisp sound and great clarity. Heard at Palani's place who also auditioned Triangle's Comete alongside as these are in the same price range. Again, I have not yet made up my mind and would like other's opinion if they have had an opportunity to listen to these speakers at length?

I guess it is slightly confusing and what I am looking for is some opinion from others on these speakers. Comments please?

For clarity, I have heard Big Fun on Trigon Energy amp, D18s on Exposure 3010s2, SCM11 & Triangle on CA851.

I have listened to the Proac d18 and used to own the atc scm19. No question about it, the atc19 is a superior speaker. Not sure how the 11 will be though, because as I understand the 19 has a different set of drivers.
Cheers,
Sid

I have listened to the Proac d18 and used to own the atc scm19. No question about it, the atc19 is a superior speaker. Not sure how the 11 will be though, because as I understand the 19 has a different set of drivers.
Cheers,
Sid

I am very interested in SCM 19 and the only reason I did not call it out was that I have not heard it. SCM11 was my introduction to ATC house sound and I know the 19s are closer to their FS than 11s in terms of their driver types. So your thoughts are most assuring. The concern with ATCs is their need for high clean power which adds to amplification costs. I am very keen on a tube sound. Which amp did you use?

@bhagwan, thank you for the offer but unfortunately, out of station is not yet feasible for me. However, I have noted down the offer as one never knows where this search takes me. I also agree the speakers that I speak of have different approach to sound which makes it all the more difficult to compare like to like. I did audition all of the above.

Having used SCM 19 and 11 both in my system for a extensive period, I can say 19 is fussy, hard to drive but far superior than 11. If you love playing around with amps, cables, cdp, you must enjoy 19's because of its high quality mid dome driver. Also the cabinet size of 19 helps in producing bigger and richer sound. However you will surely get ATC house sound in 11 too.
The ATCs don't overwhelm you with bass, but whatever they do they do precisely.

mss,

you need to pen what you intend to do with the amp too..

need to look at this as a pair ie the amp and speakers

mpw

I am very interested in SCM 19 and the only reason I did not call it out was that I have not heard it. SCM11 was my introduction to ATC house sound and I know the 19s are closer to their FS than 11s in terms of their driver types. So your thoughts are most assuring. The concern with ATCs is their need for high clean power which adds to amplification costs. I am very keen on a tube sound. Which amp did you use?

I used a symphonic line Rg7 and a bel canto s300. Btw I heard the scm 40 as well, but IMO the 19 sounded better, as it uses a different tweeter from the higher end models.
Cheers,
Sid

mss,

you need to pen what you intend to do with the amp too..

need to look at this as a pair ie the amp and speakers

mpw

I agree mpw, and hence I have mentioned the amps I have listened with. With Blumenhofers, I would go with Trigon Energy amps as I know how the synergy works. Similar, with ProAcs, it would be Exposure or potentially Pathos.

Where I have my doubt is with ATCs. I heard it with CA and I feel like pairing it with something even more warmer. However, I do not know what else can be recommended to go along with the ATCs. Sid speaks of certain component and I can imagine they will do no good to my budget. Hence, the question remains - what else with ATCs?

SCM19s are close to 2L a pair and I am happy to go down that path. The Chennai distributor says Exposure 2010s2 can drive SCM19 but I am slightly skeptic and think would 3010s2 be required (provided pairing is right in the first place).

Hence - thoughts on amps for SCM19s? Any feedback on Fun 17 vs Big Fun 17 would still be welcome.

I heard the Blumenhofers at FM SquareWave's place last year and they are a great speaker which are a very light load on the amp. You will need something like a 35 Watter for them and you will be in a very happy place.

The SCM11 are a very different path. Frankly a 150W amp would be the min I would think to get them singing. They are a very mature sound though with almost no bass which is what some people move to - typical Brit hifi. If you're the type that doesn't like bloated bass which eats into the mids etc then these are candidates.

Last edited:
Which is where my fear is - i avoid costs on speakers only to spend on amplification. I am no bass freak and would very willingly trade it for mids. I, in fact, found the bass of 11s surprisingly tight & punchy for its size.
@Nikhil, did you hear Fun 17 or Big Fun 17 at SquareWave's place?

Whats your rooms size ?
if you like a really punchy bass the Big Fun and the proac D18 are better bets for a largish room. but for a smaller room (around140 Sq Feet ) you may just prefer the smaller floorstander

do you have any amplification in mind or are you open to anything ? the older proacs like slightly higher powered tubes despite their high efficiency as their impedance drops at the lower frequencies and hence need more drive. not sure of thiese..

Which is where my fear is - i avoid costs on speakers only to spend on amplification. I am no bass freak and would very willingly trade it for mids. I, in fact, found the bass of 11s surprisingly tight & punchy for its size.
@Nikhil, did you hear Fun 17 or Big Fun 17 at SquareWave's place?

I thought it was the Big Fun 17 but his signature mentions Fun 17.
About the amps - lower watts does not mean lesser cost necessarily.

My room size would be around 150-180 sqft. I checked on atc sia-150 and it retails at >3L. That is out of my options list. The more I look around, the more Fun 17 with Trigon Energy amp seems to be the way forward.

Hey MSS...any updates on your search? Did you audition any more stuff?

Hi,

I did audition the following since my Big Fun 17 experience:

1. Magnepan 1.7s with Jeff Rowland mono blocks
  2. Emerald Physics CS2.3 with Symphonic Line integrated amp
  3. Usher's Dancer Mini Two with Symphonic Line integrate amp

Of the above 3, I really enjoyed the Maggie and the Dancer Mini two. The 1.7 were my first exposure to magneplanar type of speakers and they sounded just superb! Very deep sound stage though the width changed dramatically based on the toe in. I have read of 1.7s being finicky on placement and the audition spot was not exactly very conducive. But lushness of mids and the enveloping sound stage was very nice. I am sure those super expensive mono blocks played their part but takes away nothing from these speakers. I am exploring the combo of Odyssey Khartago/Cyclops with 1.7s as an alternate.

I had never heard Usher's before and I had presumed them to be ok sorts. But I was surprised to hear the Dancer Mini Two. Norah Jones' voice was lush and rich. LFE was good on some of my linkin park songs. Without being any technical in my description, I essentially enjoyed my songs.

I had read of EPs a lot and was having high expectations. As stated in another thread, they were bit of a disappointment even when driven by Symphonic Line amp and Ayon CD player. The richness was missing in the same songs.

I had gone to ARN with the hope of listening to Khartago or Cyclops but couldn't as they did not have one for demo.

IMHO of course but the CS2.3 is far better value than the Usher. the maggie is difficult to drive and position but if you manage that it is one of the best values around.

Thanks for sharing...

even i'm keen on listening to Khartago...let me know when you get the chance...

One general Q...is planer practical in Indian conditions? Considering dust, heat humidity etc...

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back