Bluray Player for Yamaha RX V373

RMCWS

My existing TV is Sony 40 EX430 and AVR is Yamaha 373.

Now I am looking for a bluray disc player with basic requirements. I have not short listed anything, but brands preferred are Sony, Samsung, Panasonic.

Basic requirement for the bluray player:
1. Should be able to play bluray disc :p (original as well as not so original ones) :clapping:
2. USB supported.
3. Max codec support for video files. The more support the better.
4. HDMI out to link to avr or tv (guess HDMI is common in all bluray players)
5. Full HD 1080p

No such requirements for:
1. 3D (as my tv is not 3D enabled)
2. Wifi
3. Internet
4. Skype and blah blah.

Budget:
Minimum so that I can spend more on speakers.

Please suggest me a bluray player which will satisfy my basic requirements and go well with the Yamaha 373 avr.

Thanks.

Region Code - playing capability is important aspect to consider since you are into playing BDs.

You should consider a region-free or can-be-region-free player. Try to find Panasonic BDT 220 which can be modded to be region free. I had also came across a Pioneer BD player(BDP 450 may be) which can be region free.

Region Code - playing capability is important aspect to consider since you are into playing BDs.

You should consider a region-free or can-be-region-free player. Try to find Panasonic BDT 220 which can be modded to be region free. I had also came across a Pioneer BD player(BDP 450 may be) which can be region free.

I am based in Calcutta, India and will buy 90% of bluray discs here. So what is your take on region code?

If you buy Blu-Ray player from India (Sony, Samsung, LG etc etc) they all are region locked (which is Region C) you can play all Indian Blu Rays + Imported but Region Free Discs in these players.
You can consider for Region free player if your Blu-Ray Discs purchase are from other countries, but as you mentioned your mostly (90%) purchase is from India then go for Sony BD players, it starts from 5K which includes HDMI, Plays all Indian and Region Free Discs, Full 1080 HD, USB Support, Network support etc.

SEE THIS PLAYER

I am based in Calcutta, India and will buy 90% of bluray discs here. So what is your take on region code?

If you buy Blu-Ray player from India (Sony, Samsung, LG etc etc) they all are region locked (which is Region C) you can play all Indian Blu Rays + Imported but Region Free Discs in these players.
You can consider for Region free player if your Blu-Ray Discs purchase are from other countries, but as you mentioned your mostly (90%) purchase is from India then go for Sony BD players, it starts from 5K which includes HDMI, Plays all Indian and Region Free Discs, Full 1080 HD, USB Support, Network support etc.

SEE THIS PLAYER

S1100 looks perfect for my need as well as within my budget. However, I could not find any information related to 'region' of the bluray player from the sony website.

it is region c for BD and region-free for DVDs.

Thanks for the info. prepress had already stated about the region in the earlier post. But my point was, I couldn't find any info related to 'region' on the site.

By the way, which one will be better - s1100 or s190? Both are priced at Rs.6,590/- with almost similar features. I am more inclined towards s1100 as it supports more file/ video formats than s190 and also supports external hdd.

Please suggest.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. prepress had already stated about the region in the earlier post. But my point was, I couldn't find any info related to 'region' on the site.

By the way, which one will be better - s1100 or s190? Both are priced at Rs.6,590/- with almost similar features. I am more inclined towards s1100 as it supports more file/ video formats than s190 and also supports external hdd.

Please suggest.

If you need "Digital Audio Output" as optical then go with S1100 (if you want to play ACDs/USB in Bluray player) you can use optical as your Yamaha AVR should optical Audio IN.

S190 would be better if amplifier/AVR doesn't have optical IN, then you can use S190 Analog Audio output, which is missing is S1100.

S1100 : Audio Out Optical + I guess no upscaling
S190 : Audio Out as Analog (DAC 192kHz / 24bit) + Cinema HD Upscale

S190 is older than S1100 , so there is one BluRay Disc Free

S190 : Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara
S1100 : Dabangg 2
:eek:hyeah:

imo, u should go with s1100 as it is latest.

Yes, if all equipments are latest, then S1100 is good.

If you need "Digital Audio Output" as optical then go with S1100 (if you want to play ACDs/USB in Bluray player) you can use optical as your Yamaha AVR should optical Audio IN.

Playing ACD in the bluray player is not my priority as I already have a Philips DVD player for that purpose. However, I'd like to play movies through USB (usb => bluray player => AVR => TV). It has a HDMI out, so can't I connect the HMDI out of bluray player to the HDMI in of AVR and further connection to the TV? What is the difference between connection with digital audio output and hdmi? Please pardon my ignorance.

S190 is older than S1100 , so there is one BluRay Disc Free

S190 : Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara
S1100 : Dabangg 2
:eek:hyeah:

You mean to say they are offering these bluray disc with the respective models? If so, then I have to go for s190. lol :eek:hyeah:

Playing ACD in the bluray player is not my priority as I already have a Philips DVD player for that purpose. However, I'd like to play movies through USB (usb => bluray player => AVR => TV). It has a HDMI out, so can't I connect the HMDI out of bluray player to the HDMI in of AVR and further connection to the TV? What is the difference between connection with digital audio output and hdmi? Please pardon my ignorance.

There is no difference in the quality, but told as some old school amplifiers has Optical Audio Input only (not HDMI), and components for video.

You mean to say they are offering these bluray disc with the respective models? If so, then I have to go for s190. lol :eek:hyeah:

Yes, it is offered by SONY and depends on the model. With earlier models they were giving ZNMD as complementary, and now they are giving Dabangg 2. Movie poster is printed on the BR Player's box packaging.

Yes, it is offered by SONY and depends on the model. With earlier models they were giving ZNMD as complementary, and now they are giving Dabangg 2. Movie poster is printed on the BR Player's box packaging.

Off topic: I got a game cd of RA-ONE with my playstation. But haven't tried it for more than 10 mins. It was so bogus considering the quality of the games Sony makes. And now Chulbul Pandey in 1080p. :eek:hyeah:

By the way, thanks for the clarification, hopefully I will go for s1100.

I have seen the Blu-Ray Disc, it was looking like it is available in market.

Off topic: I got a game cd of RA-ONE with my playstation. But haven't tried it for more than 10 mins. It was so bogus considering the quality of the games Sony makes. And now Chulbul Pandey in 1080p. :eek:hyeah:

Finally got myself Sony s1100 for 6490/- from ezone, Kolkata with a free bluray disc (haven't got it yet as the manager who was incharge of the bds was on leave and the bds were under lock and key - the shopkeepers don't know the title of the BD too.)

Congrats for your purchase :clapping: Enjoy!!!!

So is there any info about the free BD on the box? Please share your review about this player, I am thinking to buy a BD player too :)

Finally got myself Sony s1100 for 6490/- from ezone, Kolkata with a free bluray disc (haven't got it yet as the manager who was incharge of the bds was on leave and the bds were under lock and key - the shopkeepers don't know the title of the BD too.)

Congrats for your purchase :clapping: Enjoy!!!!

So is there any info about the free BD on the box? Please share your review about this player, I am thinking to buy a BD player too :)

There is no info about the free BD on the box. In fact, I was not aware of the fact that there was a FREE BD with the set. After purchasing it, the shopkeeper told me that there is a free BD with the set but he is unable to hand over it to me today.

He wrote "BD due" on the back of the bill. :yahoo:

I was not aware of the fact that there was a FREE BD with the set. After purchasing it, the shopkeeper told me that there is a free BD with the set but he is unable to hand over it to me today.

But I have already told you that one BD is free with every SONY BD Player, You should ask them :)

Purchased S-1100 today for 6500/- and also a free Blu-Ray Disc. There was a sleeve on the original packing of the BD Player, See below. But I was not interested in Dabangg 2 so asked for another title from Showroom Owner, he offered me "Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara" and "The Tourist" but already had ZNMD so picked "The Tourist" :D

hqeu.jpg

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back