Bookshelf recommendation please

SSlovesmusic

Forum members request recommendation for good bookshelves to be used with a Yamaha amp (rn602)

Budget - sub INR 50k
Music type - rock, lot of classical both old / modern esp. piano based, bit of trance
Room - 200 sq ft
No plans for getting a subwoofer
Placement- bookshelf for time being
Sources - music collection + streaming.. both over WiFi mostly

Current consideration set - elac b6.2, wharfedale 11.2, q acoustics 3030, mission qx2. Pl add.

Looking for an easy to enjoy, reasonably powerful and good balanced sound across frequency spectrum which will hopefully last some years.

Thanks.

Thanks gents. 2 queries

Q1 - Does 3030i pair well with Yamaha, any feedback?
Q2- Is the Oberon really much better than zensor 3, which is more in my budget. And does it pair well

Zensor 3 if you can find a pair is excellent at the price. For casual listening and without good electronics not much significant difference vs Oberon honestly.

Thanks gents. 2 queries

Q1 - Does 3030i pair well with Yamaha, any feedback?
Q2- Is the Oberon really much better than zensor 3, which is more in my budget. And does it pair well
marantz always a good match with dali spkr specially zensor. i doubt yamaha will be well match.. Oberon newly launched from dali.. its a little bit of smooth on top end compare to zensor..

Kef Q150.. I have paired these with RX V485 and they sound awesome. I felt Dali's are very bright with Yamaha. Ane these produce good bass too! I mostly turn off sub when listening to music.

Forum members request recommendation for good bookshelves to be used with a Yamaha amp (rn602)

Budget - sub INR 50k
Music type - rock, lot of classical both old / modern esp. piano based, bit of trance
Room - 200 sq ft
No plans for getting a subwoofer
Placement- bookshelf for time being
Sources - music collection + streaming.. both over WiFi mostly

Current consideration set - elac b6.2, wharfedale 11.2, q acoustics 3030, mission qx2. Pl add.

Looking for an easy to enjoy, reasonably powerful and good balanced sound across frequency spectrum which will hopefully last some years.

Thanks.
My go to recommendation is the KEF Q350 for rock, modern and trance. They can really carry a tune well and they have a deep soundstage andd bass so no sub required in a 200ssq ft. room.And its well within your budget as well. The 3030is, Mission QX2s and elac b6.2 are all great speakers for the price but the KEF Q350 belongs in a segment above them and not just price wise.

This Sentence Reminds me about B&W 606, but it'll need a better amplification for them to shine to their potential & you'll have to increase your budget. So if you can upgrade the budget accordingly, that's the best option. Wharfedale Evo 4.2 becomes another possible candidate if you can raise the budget.
Alternatively , Castle Knight 2 bookshelf is the best Economic version in your budget which is comparable to the B&W option, and can be driven by Your Yamaha easily ... Getting them looks difficult , but if possible Do listen to them before you buy something else.

Kef Q series are bit strenuous for long listening, bit bright to my taste and may need a subwoofer Ideally. Elac B6.2 is another good option out of others you have mentioned , again they would need a better amplification. If you can't get Castle knight 2, Elac will be my suggestion.
At this budget, acoustics and speaker positioning pay very crucial role in extracting the best sound out of the speakers.

@SSlovesmusic brilliant suggestions from all FMs. Now, if you have already made your mind, amazing, but if you haven't here's my subjective opinion for you.

If rn602 is going to be your source for a while then get something that matches the sound signature of the Yamaha, that compliments their low end and absolutely tames their top. As you won't be investing at all in a sub (concept 20s might be a bit anemic) , get something that has a decent sized low end driver. If your budget caps at 50, you have limited option, if you go a little above and beyond there are some better options (as our FMs suggested). Now, your room is around 200 sq ft, and looking at all your placement constraints, I would also suggest 3030i. The reasons are simple - with your amp, you will have absolutely no problem driving them loud if need be as they cap at 75W. They have a pretty meaty low end themselves and with the RN, they might just sound pretty full in there. Q acoustics lower end speakers are well balanced - I haven't heard the top end speakers by the company - so if these guys have a similar sound signature, they might really ride along with your Amp's soaring top and enormous bass.

You will end up saving a decent chunk of money, get yourself some isolation pads and decent cables with good enough termination and you should be good. Just my 2 cents based on my experiences with the 2 brands.

*Also if I read and understood correctly - you are going to be keeping the bookshelves on your bookshelves ;), I would absolutely suggest try and get your self a little sound absorption pads and stick some right behind the speaker on the wall (also maybe experiment with the bass port bungs), I know it is easier suggested than applicable in any practical situation (aesthetics and other constraints) but, if you can just cut out a piece little smaller than speaker size (so they aren't visible), it will help a decent bit.

@chander If we keep the sound absorption pads on the wall without sticking taking support from the floor , is it still effective ? There since there is no way i will get permission to stick it up due to aesthetics , if i can pick up and use it as and when needed it would be awesome.

Offtopic- Please change your location to Goa, keeps making me wanting to come back and have something at Johncy's :D

This Sentence Reminds me about B&W 606, but it'll need a better amplification for them to shine to their potential & you'll have to increase your budget. So if you can upgrade the budget accordingly, that's the best option. Wharfedale Evo 4.2 becomes another possible candidate if you can raise the budget.
Alternatively , Castle Knight 2 bookshelf is the best Economic version in your budget which is comparable to the B&W option, and can be driven by Your Yamaha easily ... Getting them looks difficult , but if possible Do listen to them before you buy something else.

Kef Q series are bit strenuous for long listening, bit bright to my taste and may need a subwoofer Ideally. Elac B6.2 is another good option out of others you have mentioned , again they would need a better amplification. If you can't get Castle knight 2, Elac will be my suggestion.
At this budget, acoustics and speaker positioning pay very crucial role in extracting the best sound out of the speakers.
Interesting opinion. is that an apprehension based on the uni-q metal dome tweeter? I’m quite surprised you said it would need a subwoofer since it produces nearly as much bass as the Evo 4.2s which are almost double its size and weight. In fact, i find it produces even more bass than some floorstanders. Perhaps you tried it with class D amplification which it pairs with terribly! What was the chain that you tried the kef q series speaker with? After long hours of listening, i found the kef q 350s to be less fatiguing than quad s5s which are known for their silky smooth nature :p. I suppose it boils down to subjective tastes. Evo 4.2s are speakers i listen to for short durations only, mostly because they don’t play well with all types of music and i have to switch back to the KEFs or the Quads. Again, just clarifying that this is to my ears (and also my better half. She has no interest in speakers or my hobby but whenever she does listen to music, she insists on the KEFs. Strangely enough,so do most other people who have auditioned my system.) you can check out dome sound clips below and they give a pretty good feel of the bass that the kef q350s can produce (the reviewer has also summed up the sonic characteristics pretty well, albeit not in the most articulate manner)

Last edited:
Dynaudio emit m20 is good. ii am using them with marantz pm 8005 good comination
But its a good 20k more expensive. I think the what hifi review brings out the differences between the kef q350 and the emit m20 beautifully.

But its a good 20k more expensive. I think the what hifi review brings out the differences between the kef q350 and the emit m20 beautifully.

You love your q350s!! That amazing man, being so happy with your kit, I wonder how many of us are in that boat. :D I am sure not, I am never happy with what I have. I always have that next one I want to get my hands on, but I never get what I want to get my hands on, just spoils the game.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back