Bookshelf speaker for study room

Dr Sarkar

Hello FMs. Once again I need your expertise to help me out with the selection of my study room bookshelf speakers. Room is small measuring 10’ X 12’ , entirely carpeted and without any furniture now, baring a listening chair. Planning to employ Fatman tube amp primarily but Audiolab 6000A or Dared tube amp infrequently. I primarily listen to Indian classical vocal and instrumentals. A few English acoustics and contemporary ones. I have short listed the following speakers. I require a wide sound stage with good clarity, and dynamic range comparable to the price point. A decent bass response will be desirable. Please advice me which one to choose. I am planning to audition them in Kolkata, as I’ll be there from 14 th to 22 Feb. I am also open to suggestions for other speakers in the range of below 1 lakh. Thanks in advance.

Speakers short listed:
Indique audio Diamond Mishra
KEF Q350
Sound artist LS3/5

Revel Concerto M16 is priced around Rs. 1 lakh before discounts. It will be a worthile buy in that budget, but Fatman may not b able to drive it.
If possible, carry your fatman (as it is not bulky) while auditioning.
My advice is to audition and buy as tube amps are finicky and not just depend on reviews.
Look at Elacs, Q Acoustics, Wharfedale and also Sonodyne models as you are in Calcutta.

Revel Concerto M16 is priced around Rs. 1 lakh before discounts. It will be a worthile buy in that budget, but Fatman may not b able to drive it.
If possible, carry your fatman (as it is not bulky) while auditioning.
My advice is to audition and buy as tube amps are finicky and not just depend on reviews.
Look at Elacs, Q Acoustics, Wharfedale and also Sonodyne models as you are in Calcutta.
Thank you. I’ll surely look for them. Regards

I require a wide sound stage with good clarity, and dynamic range comparable to the price point. A decent bass response will be desirable.
For what it’s worth, klipsch rp-600m might be good option as well. Not super refined but very good dynamics. Though not true horn loaded, goes very with tubes. I am using it for last two years and listen to Indian classical. There is natural tonality to vocals and instruments

You won't get Klipsch, IndiQ and LS3/5 in Calcutta for audition. Try out Aurum Cantus. They do punch beyond their price point.

Consider the Dali Oberon 1s.

I use them in my study, paired with a Marantz amp. They are very well suited to Indian Classical music.

Sadly the Fatman will only make it meow and not roar :)
Ah ok yes , Elacs need heavy duty power.
I’m enjoying total bliss from the Elacs with my Dynaco Pas3 preamp with 12Ax7 BEL tubes powered by the 120 watts / channel Discrete Dynamics PA.

Ah ok yes , Elacs need heavy duty power.
I’m enjoying total bliss from the Elacs with my Dynaco Pas3 preamp with 12Ax7 BEL tubes powered by the 120 watts / channel Discrete Dynamics PA.
lovelyji, I used to own the SS Dynaco preamp and its matching power amp ST70 many moons back. Lovely sounding pair, totally hand wired with that eerie vintage look.
You have version one of the B6 or version 2?. There is a small crossover upgrade that opens up the upper mids, have done it for few friends. Have to check if I still have the crossover change details.

lovelyji, I used to own the SS Dynaco preamp and its matching power amp ST70 many moons back. Lovely sounding pair, totally hand wired with that eerie vintage look.
Nice. My preamps were also handbuilt with point to point wiring, even the transformers are hand wound. It’s a rare art that’s been vanishing day by day. The core of the transformer are of the highest quality Japanese core. Almost all the internal parts in the signal path were sourced from abroad.

Nice. My preamps were also handbuilt with point to point wiring, even the transformers are hand wound. It’s a rare art that’s been vanishing day by day. The core of the transformer are of the highest quality Japanese core. Almost all the internal parts in the signal path were sourced from abroad.
Great. I’ll request if you can share a glimpse of the set up for our eyes to behold

You have version one of the B6 or version 2?. There is a small crossover upgrade that opens up the upper mids, have done it for few friends. Have to check if I still have the crossover change details.
The original version Kannan. Yes I remember you spoke about this tweak and I even PMed you about it. Unfortunately you said no one in Kolkata has the knowledge to do it. :(

The original version Kannan. Yes I remember you spoke about this tweak and I even PMed you about it. Unfortunately you said no one in Kolkata has the knowledge to do it. :(
lol....i would never have said no one....maybe I said I dont know anyone in Calcutta who would open up and do the modification.

Great. I’ll request if you can share a glimpse of the set up for our eyes to behold
Sure. From the left , Dynacopas3 phono , which is currently idle , am using the ifi iPhono next to it , and beside it is the preamp with 4 RCA inputs.
This tube-SS hybrid combo in my room gives me better sound (imaging , staging , resolution , dynamics and punch ) than many branded and pricy integrated amps (both tubes and solid state ) I have heard.Of course source media matters. 90% stuff I listen are LPs and CDs.
E9276432-1CCE-48E7-9BC1-163232057A06.jpeg2A74256D-444C-4101-A76E-A50AA605123C.jpeg

Last edited:
Sure. From the left , Dynacopas3 phono , which is currently idle , am using the ifi iPhono next to it , and beside it is the preamp with 4 RCA inputs.
This tube-SS hybrid combo in my room gives me better sound (imaging , staging , resolution , dynamics and punch ) than many branded and pricy integrated amps (both tubes and solid state ) I have heard.Of course source media matters. 90% stuff I listen are LPs and CDs.
View attachment 67010View attachment 67009
Thank you so much for sharing your setup. is it a DAC on extreme right? If yes which DAC are you using ?

Thank you so much for sharing your setup. is it a DAC on extreme right? If yes which DAC are you using ?
Welcome :)
Yes that’s a recently purchased Topping E50 DAC. I use my iPad to stream occasionally through its USB. Also one of my Denon CD players is connected to its Coaxial.

Hello FMs. Once again I need your expertise to help me out with the selection of my study room bookshelf speakers. Room is small measuring 10’ X 12’ , entirely carpeted and without any furniture now, baring a listening chair. Planning to employ Fatman tube amp primarily but Audiolab 6000A or Dared tube amp infrequently. I primarily listen to Indian classical vocal and instrumentals. A few English acoustics and contemporary ones. I have short listed the following speakers. I require a wide sound stage with good clarity, and dynamic range comparable to the price point. A decent bass response will be desirable. Please advice me which one to choose. I am planning to audition them in Kolkata, as I’ll be there from 14 th to 22 Feb. I am also open to suggestions for other speakers in the range of below 1 lakh. Thanks in advance.

Speakers short listed:
Indique audio Diamond Mishra
KEF Q350
Sound artist LS3/5
I have a 6 month old Wharfedale Diamond 11.2 which I may let go. Pls PM if interested

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back