Bookshelf Speaker pair under Rs 20,000

nakul

Hi guys.

Need some advice.

I just bought a used Onkyo tx sr505 to kick.start my home theatre kit.

I plan to stagger my purchases for speaker pairs over time and so they have to eventually sound well together. Music use will be 70% and movies 30%. Mostly listen to floyd, knopfler. Tom petty, led zep etc. I need to start buying as below with a budget of rs approx 20,000 each time

1. Front pair
2. Woofer
3. Centre
4. Surround pair

I would initially use the system only to listen to music. Would love floor standers but dont have space. So I would need to restrict to bookshelves.

Please recommend the best sounding speakers in my budget.

Thanks guys for the help.

Nakul
(mumbai)

as you have the avr.
carry your avr to auditions and take what best suits you.
20k for front,centre,aub and rears each 80k total is a good budget.
may speakers are there.
with onk try kef,wharfedale,tannoy....paradigm,sonodyne many...listen to your fav tracks.
for music main purpose imo invest in a expensive fronts...as rest centre,sub and rear is for movies only.
so divide your 80k acordingly.
say 45k for fronts..rest for others.

nakul,

Check out speakers like Monitor audio br2, usher s 520, MS Aviano 2 and definitely the PSB B6.
As prosenjit said, if you listen to music mostly in 2.0 stereo mode, the front channels/speakers are most important.

Yes..i did. But after I had already posted this thread.

With Onkyo,my choice can be Q acoustic 2020i, also polk audio speakers.Demo is good way to get best.One FM recently added Cambridge audio S30 speakers & he is happy.

Thank you for the inputs.

I have a space constraint to place a full sized tower speaker as front left and right. Maybe bookshelf with a stand.

While the total budget is decent I can shell out only in brackets of approx 20 thou.

Nobody has mentioned boston acoustics. There's a deal happening on hi fi mart.

Can you please also mention the exact speaker name with description, aprox price for pair and dealer in mumbai, instead of only the company as there are tons of options in each.

Many thanks
Nakul

Mumbai meet 2013 may also help me a lot as honestly I do not have a trained ear to evaluate a demo.

I plan to go with the forums suggestions and experience

By the way I meant all forums..that.includes this thread and many more that im following up and hope to understand better at the meet..if I am in town.

The problem with magazine review ans.what hifi etc is that they give a wonderful insight into one. Everytime you read the article you feel that its the speaker to buy.

Your comparative experiences help some one like me to.finally make the selection. I need you all to debate with each other and declare a winner and second.

Thanks

Nakul - I honestly feel that you should not miss this mumbai meet. I had participated in such a meet (although that was more of a HT meet) last year and I was a complete novice before that. But at least now I understand some terminologies and am able to appreciate reviews/opinions a bit better. One thing that I found out first hand was the difference in opinion of people like me (novices) v/s the real hifi connoisseurs on this forum. What may sound like average to them would amaze you !

Basically my ears are not capable of hearing the differences between 40hz and 20hz and I don't care. I found out that I'd be happy with something average until my ears can appreciate better. And the guys organizing the meet are absolutely great at giving advice specially to newbies. They'd not try and push the 50K/70K speakers to you and look down on others. I've spoken to denom, spiro, santy, rajadeep, hemantwaghe and trust me, these guys would help you out no ends.

Forget about getting the best, try and get something which you are happy with. There will always be better speakers at a higher price point out there irrespective of what you get. It'd be up to you whether you chose to find joy in what you get or be disappointed with what you don't have.

My two cents is - join the meet and since it's at Navi Mumbai, try and audition the Pioneer BS41/BS22s at Avenue Sound. You'll like them. Talk to the gang I listed above and they'll help you out.

+1 to Kneo

When people gather under one roof with a one thought(Music), the stage would reveal hundreds of Ideas,Knowledge and opinions.As its a meet for Music lovers in voluntary category instead of normal business meet, you can get more ideas without an commercial thoughts.
I believe every music lover or audiophile in AVmeet, in most case suggest the AV which the are using with gentle feedback ,but never make a commercial statement.

So you have open choice to get ideas and can make your ears roam to pick its best:)

AS Kneo Said, The best sounding AV might not really need top in the Cost.Sometimes even entry AV would fullfil your taste compared to double or triple time expensive AV setup

Moreover, its a "Once in Blue moon" to see all the best Combo's sounding in rhythms under one roof, which might not be possible even in the biggest bricks and mortar shop in India.

Am Awaiting for South India's AV meet at Chennai:)

Check out Paradigm Atom Monitor v7 priced around 19k. QAcoustic 2010 is also at 20k. I checked these out at The Shop at Andheri West but any HiFi dealer should have them.

Nakul - I honestly feel that you should not miss this mumbai meet. I had participated in such a meet (although that was more of a HT meet) last year and I was a complete novice before that. But at least now I understand some terminologies and am able to appreciate reviews/opinions a bit better. One thing that I found out first hand was the difference in opinion of people like me (novices) v/s the real hifi connoisseurs on this forum. What may sound like average to them would amaze you !

Basically my ears are not capable of hearing the differences between 40hz and 20hz and I don't care. I found out that I'd be happy with something average until my ears can appreciate better. And the guys organizing the meet are absolutely great at giving advice specially to newbies. They'd not try and push the 50K/70K speakers to you and look down on others. I've spoken to denom, spiro, santy, rajadeep, hemantwaghe and trust me, these guys would help you out no ends.

Forget about getting the best, try and get something which you are happy with. There will always be better speakers at a higher price point out there irrespective of what you get. It'd be up to you whether you chose to find joy in what you get or be disappointed with what you don't have.

My two cents is - join the meet and since it's at Navi Mumbai, try and audition the Pioneer BS41/BS22s at Avenue Sound. You'll like them. Talk to the gang I listed above and they'll help you out.

Great advice for newbies like me (though meant for Nakul, applies cent percent to me).

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back